Prescience on the drop (again)

@ Surrender Monkey

Yes, you can't cast powers during the movement phase after deep striking, but you can still cast witchfire if you want. So I guess the support role of the librarian is hindered on the turn you disembark from a drop pod.

Just read about it. Think I'll stick to rhinos. Cheers for the heads up.

I'm thinking two generic librarians, each teamed off with a unit of sternguard. Mmm... Rhinos or drop pods...

IIRC you can't cast blessings in the same turn your drop pod, which reduces the Librarian/Sternguard synergy.

I believe this was FAQed so that you COULD cast Blessing after arriving from a pod.

Do you know which FAQ this is in? I checked the general rules, space marine and Dark Angels FAQs and couldn't find it.

It would be nice if it was true, podding in Sternguard with a divination Librarian would be very potent indeed, but the rules seem to specifically prohibit doing this.

I'm thinking two generic librarians, each teamed off with a unit of sternguard. Mmm... Rhinos or drop pods...

IIRC you can't cast blessings in the same turn your drop pod, which reduces the Librarian/Sternguard synergy.

I believe this was FAQed so that you COULD cast Blessing after arriving from a pod.

Pretty sure it hasn't been. Libs/Rune Priests aren't on the table at the start of a turn they pod in on, so can't cast blessings.

Would very much like to be proven wrong :)

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Rulebook page 124 says:

On a turn that a psyker arrives from reserve (see page 124) he cannot attempt to manifest any psychic powers that must be manifested at the start of the Movement phase.

So you can chose to bring on reserves then roll for blessings, but the FAQ does not say anything about the rule which specifically prohibits psykers arriving from reserve from casting at the beginning of their movement phase.

So this means that you could pod some sternguard within 12" of a librarian who is already on the board, then cast prescience on them, but you cannot pod the librarian with the sternguard and cast, since he is explicitly forbidden from doing so.

It would be nice, I'm planning on making one of my sternguard squads a deathwatch kill team, and a librarian would be a fluffy addition to it, but the rules are quite clear, which means that librarian is probably better used without deep striking.

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

Rulebook page 124 says:

>> 

On a turn that a psyker arrives from reserve (see page 124) he cannot attempt to manifest any psychic powers that must be manifested at the start of the Movement phase.

So you can chose to bring on reserves then roll for blessings, but the FAQ does not say anything about the rule which specifically prohibits psykers arriving from reserve from casting at the beginning of their movement phase.

So this means that you could pod some sternguard within 12" of a librarian who is already on the board, then cast prescience on them, but you cannot pod the librarian with the sternguard and cast, since he is explicitly forbidden from doing so.

It would be nice, I'm planning on making one of my sternguard squads a deathwatch kill team, and a librarian would be a fluffy addition to it, but the rules are quite clear, which means that librarian is probably better used without deep striking.

It's okay, there's no divination in a Codex: Marines army other than Tigurius, so it's not like you'd have to worry about that anyways for normal Librarians.

And pretty much all the other tables don't have 'necessary' blessings, so you can just cast whatever Witchfire you get. (Or, if it's level one, you get to enjoy that one power you get >.>)

As has been discussed before:

You cast blessings at the start of the movement phase before any unit is moved.

You roll for reserves at the start of the movement phase before any unit is moved.

The act of arriving from reserves, whether moving on from your table edge, or outflanking or deep striking is moving onto the table.

In other words, once you've actually started moving your models onto the table, you've started moving models.

You therefore cannot cast blessings anymore.

The reason for the FAQ is simple - It's to make it clear that you are allowed to use the Grey Knights Communion psychic power which modifies reserve rolls. That's it.

Your search-fu is weak:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/274092-reserves-order-of-operations/?do=findComment&comment=3351860

Archived