Crimson Sabres, before the Slaughter

As several projects have fizzled lately, I thought of taking a step back and look at what brought me back into the 40K hobby.

Dark Vengeance!

Rather than dive back into it for the Dark Angels and Chaos Space Marines, I began thinking, "Why not build a small army of Crimson Sabres?"

Sure their fluff has them eventually turn to Chaos and become the Crimson Slaughter, but they were diehard loyalists before being cursed on the jungle world of Umidia. Plus there's a new Codex coming out soon for Space Marines.

The DV book doesn't describe their pre-chaos look other than red power armour with the left pauldron being black except for a red sword.

Going by their Greco-Roman sounding names prior to turning to chaos, I started thinking more Greek. I added bronze to the aguila and yellow eyes for a little bit of "fire". White markings on the squad pauldron mirrors the Ultramarines. If it's good enough for them, why not the Sabres? The bolter is a gunmetal color which is near enough to how the future Crimson Slaughter's bolters look.

What do you think?

gallery_8429_8392_28328.jpg

I know the Codex Chaos Space Marines had a list of some loyal chapters returned turned to chaos. Has anyone else taken to building an army of to-be-doomed marines?

Stuff like that has been done by all heck I have some soul drinkers left around...atleast one squad not painting night lord color yet...

But I have not seen many people do this one a lot say they are going to start but no one gets past this point...

I look forward to your work on this...

Like the paint scheme.This could be a cool chapter to do.

Thanks. I tweaked the paint scheme in the painter by using the hex values of GW's paint colours. It may not be perfect, but it should be closer to the real thing.

gallery_8429_8392_23285.jpg gallery_8429_8392_37785.jpg

I dropped the yellow eyes and brighter red because I saw some Blood Angels in those colours and it looked too similar. I've opted for something closer to Bloodletter Red for the power armour (it may still be closer to Blood Angels when all is done anyway), Skull white with a slight touch of Guilliman Blue for the eyes (the Crimson Slaughter's eyes seem to have been done in a light blue so I figure it would tie in the Crimson Sabres' past with their future), Sycorax Bronze for the Aguila, and Bone White for squad markings and Calgar Blue for robes/tabards/etc. (Again, the Crimson Slaughter also use blue in their robes).

Stuff like that has been done by all heck I have some soul drinkers left around...atleast one squad not painting night lord color yet...

But I have not seen many people do this one a lot say they are going to start but no one gets past this point...

I look forward to your work on this...

I often wouldn't get past this point either which is why I'm really making the effort this time. I've got an untouched Space Marine Battle Force box sitting here. And a bunch of Dark Angel single-sword shoulder pads which are perfect for the Crimson Sabres' chapter symbol. I'm putting my paint list on order with GW later this week.

I will keep this thread updated with pictures as they become available.

Ciao!

[edited the dark blue eyes for white]

I have a friend with a Doom Legion army, and after finding out in the new chaos dex that they turn to Nurgle he is making them AGAIN as an infected CSM force. Pretty cool to have both if you ask me.  I look forward to seeing more progress on this!

Archived