Custom Ravenwing'ish Dice...

Rhodric

So, I just got back into the hobby after a few year break and am going full steam with a Ravenwing force. I thought it would be pretty cool to have some custom dice designed by Chessex with the Ravenwing symbol of a wing holding a sword, representing a 6. To my dismay, I was informed that GW had "warned" Chessex that they couldn't use any of their images for custom dice. Regardless of the arguments, it can go either way, can anyone direct me to a website, person, rebel etc who can do custom dice? ;)

Or, perhaps better? Could anyone suggest other non-GW images that could represent Ravenwing?

Thanks!

Based on what I've read on the rulings from the GW vs.CHS lawsuit, GW cannot trademark generic shapes. What makes the RW symbol(iimo) is the claw holding the sword. If you were to sketch out a generic sword with a generic wing, with neither actually touching, you'd be in the clear.

Cheers,

Jono

They can only trademark that specific image rendering, similar to how Disney can only trademark specific representations of Mickey in his various forms. However, that doesn't mean anyone is just going to automatically make you dice using an image that is similar, but could be confused for the trademarked image. They may not want to deal with the potential heat that might bring.

For additional die makers, check out Crystal Caste, GameScience, Koplow or Q-Workshop.

I wouldn't blame them at all. What's funny, is that I had planned on doing a big order for B&C folks. I still have my B&C dice from a few years back, beautiful!

I had considered replacing the sword/wing image with just that of a raven, which could work and be cool.

I'll check out those other dice makers too.

The two images that I was told about being an issue were the winged sword and winged broken sword specific graphics for.  The image you're using as your avatar they should still re-produce.  It's one that a member of B&C made specifically for the dice we did a while back.

Best,

Paul

Archived