custom built Greater Deamon of Khorne

So I was killing some time and walking through the Action figure section of a Toys R Us and I happened upon a large figure of the Mortal Kombat boss Shou Khan and I had a bit of a brain storm to convert it into a Large-scale BloodThirster, something that would be somewhere between the size of the GW Bloodthirster and the Forge World Greater Daemon of Khorne. Add some large wings, I have an extra pair of Hive Tyrant wings sitting in my bitz box so I figure those'll do the trick. Re sculpt some details, add a Khorne icon on the chest and viola. I'd have a Super-level Blood Thirster, call him something suitibly Khorn-ish, call him a "lord of the lords" or something and there we go.

So, here's my first question: How do I post the guy? The figure has some great points of articulation and once I mount it to a base I have it in virtually any pose I want. But I'm not sure what post to go with. Here's the two I'm thinking of at this point:

Option 1:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/SAM_0377_zps19f947fe.jpg

Option 2:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/SAM_0378_zpsa9830c8a.jpg

Pose 1 I think looks like he's in the midst of an attack slamming his axe into his target, the sheer power of the thrust and intertia of the blow carrying him through the attack. In this pose I figure the wings will be flared upward, and out of the way.

Pose 2 looks more like the classic "Fueled by rage" sort of look.

The big thing is that the Hammer will be replaced by either a single large double headed axe, or as one half of a pair of large single headed axes.

I'd say go with the second pose idea because there's just not enough points of articulation in the figure to pull the first pose off. The way his torso is twisted in comparison to his hips and legs just looks... wrong.

And why not stick with the hammer? Be different! Not every Bloodthirster has to carry an axe, does he?

• 4 weeks later...

So, started on the Shoa Khan Blood Thirster model:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9X-K7dbhWQg/UjH0KA6DGQI/AAAAAAAAA2g/ryjrNZPn-Oc/s320/SAM_0415.JPG

I've glued all the joints so the pose is set. Next I'm going to go in with Green stuff and sculpt in muscles over the joints, expand details in other locations where the joints have caused problems and generally just lock the entire piece down so it won't move. I attached the Hive Tyrant wings to the back using brass rod and super glue. Provided he doesn't try and take a tripe down any stairs they should stay on very well. I decided to go with a "Just landed and stalking/hunting kind of pose" largely because it's still a dynamic pose that will offer a lot of painting options, and it's easy to do with the figure.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nH1fTFJMMRc/UjH0JCGjJiI/AAAAAAAAA2U/zYCqq_LXbcs/s320/SAM_0414.JPG

I had to rebuild the entire shaft of the hammer because the PVC it's molded from is too soft and it has a tendency to bend under it's own weight. So I cut it off, passed a length of brass rod into the head, and attached a larger sheath of brass tube to the that. I added the toothpick at the bottom to give the hammer a spike. Why am I going with
the hammer? Simple, as Brother Chaplin Kage said "Be different! Not every Bloodthirster has to carry an axe, does he?" I admit it's a bit of cop out but I think I can make it work. Add a Khorne symbol on the side of the hammer head, add spikes to the head. When I paint it add some gore effect. It should work I think. I still need to back in with some styrene and green stuff and re-built details.

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I got any work done on this guy. Annoyingly at this stage I can't do more then small steps with it. It's all green stuff work right now so I can only work in small steps and let the green stuff cure.

The upper skull mask bugged me. Makes him look like he's got this huge over bit. So I went in with some green stuff and added a jaw and teeth to the bottom section:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/Shao%20Khan%20Bloodthirster/head_spread_zps2e5ac519.jpg

once I mount the head on the body I'm going to add dreadlocks and cables from the head down the back of the body.

Well, this might be a crazy idea- but please bear with me... but because the shou khan figure has the samurai kabuto helmet on with that obnoxious hunk of yellow gold plastic above the "eyebrows"; why not, taking plasticard, milliput, etc. use it as the frame work to make an organic, daemonic khorne symbol in this greater daemon's face?  

Archived