Introducing the Legio Draconis (Salamanders successor)

Pyrion

So, after stalking the B&S for a while now, I decided to finally actually register and do some posting myself.

And for my first post, I would like to introduce some WIP conversions for my Space Marine chapter, the Legio Draconis.

They are a successor chapter to the Salamanders, however this knowledge has been lost due to the... unpredictability of the adminstratum's working. :whistling:

The fact that their geneseed was heavily modified during chapter creation made it that much harder to determine their progenitor.

But let's not bore you with background, as this is the place for WIPs.

Now as a little warning, I am not really that experienced with doing conversions or painting yet (as well as only having limited time for this part of the hobby), so it may not be nearly as amazing as some of the other work featured here. But still, I think it's decent enough to share!

So I shall get started with the Honor Guard for my Chapter Master (who is fully built and painted already, and whos name I borrowed for my forum name). There are currently 6 of them, but seeing the rumors about how they will be treated with the upcoming codex... I might need more! :smile.:

First, we have the bearer of the chapter banner and the Chapter Champion.

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/5882/ehrengardechampionbanne.jpg

The Banner Bearer is from the Space Marine Veteran box, with his pair of Lightning Claws replaced by the banner and a power sword. The banner itself needs a good deal more decoration (looking for bits, currently) and is magnetized to the pole (as I want to be able to use it for other models too).

The Chapter Champion uses the Emperor's Champion as base model, with a thunder hammer replacing his regular arms. I really thought this way of holding a hammer fits his walking pose nicely. The orc skull on chain was used to conceal the ending of the power-cord which originally went on into a terminator arm.

The remaining 4 members of the Honor Guard were also the remaining 4 marines from the veteran box. A quick weapon swap for three of them made them just right for the Guard (with the fourth one, the one who comes with an axe already, looking so cool in my opinion that he did not need any conversion work)

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/5141/ehrengardexte.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/9255/ehrengardeschwerter.jpg

Until now, I used the sword ones as regular power weapons - however, depending on how the new codex looks I might use them as relic blades instead.

The second conversion I would like to introduce, is the first member of my command squad on "bikes".

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2203/a86l.jpg

As my chapter is obviously dragon themed, I thought it was a cool idea to put them on riding lizards instead of bikes (with them obviously still using the rules for bikes).

The guy above was my first attempt - the apothecary for the squad. The double bolter he's holding is supposed to represent the bike's twin linked bolters. He will be the only member of the squad actually holding it though, as the others will have their hands full. They will instead have these weapons hanging from the saddle or another part of the mount.

The mount is obviously a dark elf cold one, while the apothecary uses parts from the thunderwolf cavalry (legs) and the command squad.

He is not yet glued to his mount, as I want to paint them individually before doing so. It was surprisingly easy to fit him on the saddle though - all that I needed to do was cut off the rear end of the saddle.

I have already built the rest of the squad, but do not have a photo of them available yet. Aside the apothecary, it includes:

2 Marines with Meltaguns and Storm Shields

1 Marine with 2 Lightning Claws

1 Marine with Company Banner and Power Fist (he will be able to take the earlier mentioned magnetized banner)

and A captain with Thunder Hammer and Storm shield who is not completely built yet. I'm pondering about what kind of head to use, and his cold one is not ready yet either.

So, that's it for now. I hope you people will find it interesting enough. I'll see when I can continue work on them - but I have the feeling that the upcoming codex release will cause quite the motivational boost for me. :teehee:

Nice small conversions on the honour guard! (and about the power swords, as far as Ive heard honour guard will have be able to take relic blades). The lizard is... well, new haha. The only thing that I personally think looks awkward is the honour guard with sword on the right. The way the handle of the sword is turned looks a bit strange, not the usual way one would hold a sword, but if you like it that way who am I to judge ;)

Nice small conversions on the honour guard! (and about the power swords, as far as Ive heard honour guard will have be able to take relic blades). The lizard is... well, new haha. The only thing that I personally think looks awkward is the honour guard with sword on the right. The way the handle of the sword is turned looks a bit strange, not the usual way one would hold a sword, but if you like it that way who am I to judge :wink:

To be honest, that particular way of holding the sword came from necessity more than personal preference. The parchment on his shoulder makes it very difficult to fit any weapon with a crossguard on that hand in a way that looks good. I might try to adjust a bit more though.

Thank you for your feedback! :)

Very nice marines so far, I am eager to see what is next now. Will you by any chance be using the new Lizardmen creatures for your army?

I have yet to see that. I was looking through the old ones a few times in search for bits that would work well with the theme, but since the new models for them were released I did not check them yet.

Might have to do that sometime.

• 4 months later...

Wow, it's literally been forever since I posted anything here.

But I've started to make progress in painting again, so I thought I'd share some results.

The above shown Bike/Cavalry Apothecary is finished now.

Let me just mention, my painting skills aren't really that high but I'm trying my best.

vs8j.jpg

The remaining members of the Command Squad and their Captain are still work in progress, but I hope to get them done by mid-February.

Nice conversions, I paticularly like the Company Champion with his Thunder Hammer, his pose just screams "Advance towards me brethren!" The ork skull hanging from the bottom of the hammer is a nice touch too. :)

Looks Good!!!:thumbsup: 

Thank you! :smile.:

Nice conversions, I paticularly like the Company Champion with his Thunder Hammer, his pose just screams "Advance towards me brethren!" The ork skull hanging from the bottom of the hammer is a nice touch too. :smile.:

Chapter Champion, actually! [/smartass]

But yeah, after using the Emperor's Champion's Sword for my Chapter Master, I still had the very cool looking body left and figured his pose worked well with a hammer held like this.

Aside from looking cool, the chain with the skull actually also conveniently covers up the cut off cables from the hammer. So win/win! :smile.:

And two more wips to show:

cewy.jpg

Terminator Chaplain with the Teeth of Terra and a Terminator Captain with Lightning Claw and the Primarch's Fury.

The former usually boards my Land Raider Redeemer with a squad of assault terminators, while the latter comes to play when I chose to field tactical Termis (where the Relic Bolter really adds a nice little extra punch against infantry, for really cheap point costs).

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Sally librarian on a cold one just for fun a little while ago, its one of my favorite conversions, had I collected a salamanders army I may have done a whole bunch of them.

I like that you have gone for white on the models too, if you want to come cry into a beer with me one day whilst gently sobbing about accidentally using some old brush water when highlighting a model and ending up with pink kneepads I will happily join you!!

Looking good so far man, keep it up :-)

There was a guy near here who had done a Mexican themed space wolf army using cold ones as bikes and green stuff to sculpt sombrero's onto all his troops!! It looked so cool!! Not that this is the direction you are going Pyrion!!

End of Line

GOOD looking stuff youve got there, how did you do that ToT conversion i like it and would like to do one myself....

Thanks, I really like the Teeth myself. The hand holding it and the rest of the hilt are from an Assault-Terminator Thunderhammer. Everything above the hand was cut. The part above the hand/"crossguard" is a dragon head accessory from a chaos marine sprue, so it looks like the blade is coming from the dragon's mouth. The blade itself is made from two regular chainswords glued together, to give them the mass appropriate for a Terminator Armor model (a single one would have looked just puny).

I really like the Emperor's champion model's pose. He's just so nonchalantly carrying that hammer into battle, like he's saying "don't wanna brag, but y'all know where this is going".

I'm actually really proud how that model turned out myself. I used the Champ's sword for my Chapter Master, and the rest of the model was just too cool to not use. And since I like Thunder Hammers, I decided to try having him hold it in this pose. It just works so well with the walking position of his legs!

And while I'm at it, here's a little update. The remaining command-squad riders are done, just their lizards left to do:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/513/4spv.jpg

Sorry for horrible picture quality, the lighting in my room is just not well suited for that.

Equipment is Melta + Storm Shield x2, Pair of Lightning Claws and Power Fist + Banner.

The banner itself is magnetized (It's the same the Honor Guard in the opening post is shown using) and still needs to be colored.

And once I've got those done, there's still the captain waiting to be painted. Hopefully I will get this done soon!

Love the color scheme.

What did you use for the red?

Glad you think so, I do like it a lot myself. People get it confused with Blood Angels often though, and it has practically become a running gag at our club.

It uses Mephiston Red as base, layered with Evil Sunz Scarlet and then highlighted with Wildrider Red.

So here's a little update.

The mounts for the command squad are mostly done. Just some details (claws, teeth, eyes) and the bases, and I can glue the riders on them.

http://imageshack.com/a/img834/6818/5q6i.jpg

Also, here's a preview of their Captain, who has a different looking lizard. Also has a nice scale cloak that's flapping in the wind as he rides.

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/425/mzl2.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img30/2194/xzj1.jpg

Current plan is to have all of them ready at the 16th, to use on a friendly little tournament our tabletop club is holding. Which means, I need to get my butt moving and work on those a bit more. :-p

Archived