trouble with CSM/Daemons

ianj253

Hey all, 

Recently played in a Feast of Blades qualifier at my local game store. I got 4th but was still able to qualify because the third place player didn't won't be able to attend FOB. This same third place player laid down the hurt on my BA army. The whole game was a one sided affair and actually pretty disheartening. I can't remember the exact list, but Ill relay what I did

CSM/Daemon allies 

Daemon Prince(CSM): Tzeentch, Level 3 psycher, warlord

• Psychic powers of note: Endurance, Warp speed

Daemon Prince(Daemons): Slaneesh, Level 3 psycher, portal glyph, Whip

• Psychic powers of note: Iron Arm, Puppet master 

Heldrake: Bale Flamer

Heldrake: Bale Flamer

Land raider

Chaos marines: 10 man, 2 melta

Pink horrors: 10 man

Cultist: 10 man

Dameonettes: 10 man 

So, I'm probably leaving some stuff out, but all that really mattered were the Heldrakes and Daemon Princes (FMC's are nasty).  These units tore my army apart.  Now I don't know if anyone has experience facing a list like this, but if you do I'd love to hear what worked against them. 

Here's my list for reference 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/278396-1850-feast-of-blades-qualifier-8-17/

I'm betting at least one of those FMCs hid behind the land raider right?  I've played against that, and your best option is to shoot them from range until they drop.  It does take a lot of shooting though.  We realistically have very little to fight them head on.

Though I would remind you that MCs do not roll 2D6 to pen armor anymore, they just have the option to go to S10 and use half their attacks.  So a Furioso could potentially beat one in melee, though it'd be a close-run thing and very dice dependent.

The heldrakes are pretty much just going to have to be taken out by your gunships.  To minimize losses to their flamers, spread out your infantry as much as possible.  If you keep the 2" coherency, you can form boxes that are wide enough to keep no more than 4 marines under any template placement.

If its an option, you could try allying in a Rune Priest from SW.  Runic weapons shut down any psychic power cast within 24" on a 4+, which could take away some of the pain of those daemons.  Unfortunately, it also works on any allies of convenience the way the last FAQ was worded.  I believe SW are battle brothers though and your BA librarians would be exempted?  Double-check, but if that's the case it should help.

I used my storm raven to blow up both of his heldrakes but even the one turn they had on the board saw them kill about 10 marines. 

What really caused the problem was the Daemon prince with Iron arm / Puppet master. The player used puppet master on a storm raven to destroy my other one and used it to blow up my dreadnought. 

The whip the Slaneesh dameon gets as a gift is also nasty in combination with Iron arm. It allows them to make 2d6 shooting attacks at strength.  

I see how the sternguard would be a good solution but there a large point sink. 

well, those 2 psychic powers are quite the lucky combination (though pupper master is easily evaded by proper positioning on your raven). He won't have them every time, especially not iron arm.

A good defense against helldrakes are transports, because he really doesn't have anything to crack them at range (unless you lest something out).

Archived