FW IA2 Mortis Pattern DA Dreadnought?

Chrysaor the Giant

So I was just looking at the FW Vehicles Update for 6th edition and I noticed this little guy sandwiched between the two SM Chaplain Dreadnoughts. The "Mortis Dreadnought" is listed as having 3 HP and "When Stationary gains the Skyfire and Interceptor special rules." Not to be confused with the "Contemptor Mortis", which is also listed separately and higher up the page.

I had totally forgotten about this guy, but I did a quick search and came up with these rules here, and also a lot of intimation that the original rules come from IA 2 of olde.

He's basically awesome for the cost. I really wonder why they didn't just put him in the regular codex, as it would instantly make Dreads in general a whole lot better. Anybody else already aware of this or make use of these rules recently? I'm pretty unhappy that he's "DA only" since I don't actually play them, but I understand they're the ones who've had Mortis pattern dreads for awhile now. Goes a long way to improving the DA selection of AA!

He's basically awesome for the cost. I really wonder why they didn't just put him in the regular codex

They'll need a reason to sell the C:DA Supplement?

And I really do hope that GW would put it in there.

I'm pretty unhappy that he's "DA only" since I don't actually play them, but I understand they're the ones who've had Mortis pattern dreads for awhile now.

Since 2004, infact.

Been awesome ever since.

Armory of the Rock would be a great DA supplement.  Throw us a few additional toys and some of these "older" pattern Dreadnoughts.  Chaplains Dreadnoughts, Mortis Dreadnoughts, additional "relics", including some for successors exclusively, and some of more obscure items we're missing.  Maybe the Ares as a Apocalypse Formation and what not.  Would be a great idea.  

Maybe also give us access to some of the newer Power Armor toys that C:SM is getting without giving all of them.  Maybe at an increased cost, who knows.  

Here is to hoping, (yeah, right).

Paul

I'll be honest, I didn't think there was a DA player out there who didn't know about the FW Mortis Dread! smile.png

I'm going to raise my hand and admit to having been completely ignorant of this, as far as the Interceptor/Skyfire rules updates are concerned.

[hangs head in shame after all the b**ching about no anti-air for Deathwing]

I was going to retire my Ven Dreads and go Contemptor Mortis for my Deathwing, but this changes everything. Off to order IA vol2 now!

***OUT OF STOCK*** - second edition incoming??

Hopefully not a second edition but they'll just roll the stuff from that book up into a major IA Apocalypse type book. I'm not too keen on re-purchasing every single book they've made in addition to buying new updated rules every other month for books like Imperial Armour Apocalypse 45 36th Edition Part 5 just because they changed the BS on the Contemptor again. And honestly, this Mortis guy doesn't even need new rules. They could only possibly censored.gif it up.

Hopefully not a second edition but they'll just roll the stuff from that book up into a major IA Apocalypse type book. I'm not too keen on re-purchasing every single book they've made in addition to buying new updated rules every other month for books like Imperial Armour Apocalypse 45 36th Edition Part 5 just because they changed the BS on the Contemptor again. And honestly, this Mortis guy doesn't even need new rules. They could only possibly censored.gif it up.

IA Apoc 2nd ed is just out, and the contents page only lists Contemptors. Both IA vols 1 and 3 are now 2nd ed, and given that they probably won't carry on printing a book that needs a pdf page to be relevant, I'd hope there is a second ed incoming!

Progress! great, innit?

I'm kind of confused. Is it basically a contemptor dread with missiles, "mortis" simply because it's a Dark Angels thing?

I don't know anything about forgeworld models, but I'm in if it gives me something worthwhile to do with my currently empty Elite slots. My elites slots are usually completely empty because I feel like terminators are terrible. (Not a big fan of losing 44 points every time I roll a one, which is to say quite often.)

I don't know squat about Forgeworld rules. It's in the following link:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL-ARMOUR-VOLUME-TWO-SPACE-MARINES-AND-FORCES-OF-THE-INQUISITION.html

I assume?

I'm kind of confused. Is it basically a contemptor dread with missiles, "mortis" simply because it's a Dark Angels thing?

I don't know anything about forgeworld models, but I'm in if it gives me something worthwhile to do with my currently empty Elite slots. My elites slots are usually completely empty because I feel like terminators are terrible. (Not a big fan of losing 44 points every time I roll a one, which is to say quite often.)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL-ARMOUR-VOLUME-TWO-SPACE-MARINES-AND-FORCES-OF-THE-INQUISITION.html

I assume?

Yep the Mortis Dreadnaught is in IA2. But I heard they're working on IA2 2nd edition, so might want to hold off on trying to track a copy of it down.

I *believe* there's a guy at my local store who owns a copy. I'll see if he'll let me photocopy just that page if it looks like something I'd use (and it does.)

Personally, I think I'd just like the chance to greenstuff a hood and robes on a contemptor dread. That would look SO AWESOME. I just have NO IDEA how to sculpt worth a dang. :)

I assume?

For the record, This is a Mk V Mortis from IA2

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9830.jpg

And this is a Mortis Contemptor (Which IA is this from?  I need to get it if I am going to play it...)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/ea6210c4-c47a-45c7-87ad-cbccdb4c816f.jpg

Remind me to come up with more excuses for you to post pictures of your models. Beautiful work, man. I'll have to pick your brain for how to do vehicles because I am just straight no good at painting battle damage.

I assume?

"Mortis" is historically a Dark Angels dread configuration where dual weapons are mounted. Originally dual twin linkef autocannon, nowadays dual TL lascannons, missile launchers, etc.

"Contemptor" is an entirely different dreadnought chassis with different rules.

The dreads you buy in s GW shop are not Contemptor models.

I dunno why I was reading contemptor into all of it. Maybe because that seems to be what people mention most often elsewhere, I don't know.

BUT while I'm on that subject:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/c/Contemptor.pdf

^What else in addition to this do I need to do to claim it as a Mortis pattern Contemptor dread? Are they the same points cost? Same loadouts? Anyone with knowledge of the situation know?

^What else in addition to this do I need to do to claim it as a Mortis pattern Contemptor dread? Are they the same points cost? Same loadouts? Anyone with knowledge of the situation know?

These are in fact the "experimental rules" just as the stamp on the FAQ states. These typically come out before the printed version usually when the model is released.

The newest version of the rules are in the IA Apocalypse book. It also comes with the 40K approved stamp if that makes a difference.

The latest IA: Apoc has the rules for Contemptor and Contemptor Mortis.  If they make a Deathwing Contemptor I'd buy one, but for now I'm not sure I'm interested.  I might grab a Contemptor for dual plasma cannons...

As for the Mortis Dread, it's great for the cost and pretty balanced.  It's what stands between our PA Marines and the Helldrake!

Just to be clear, there is no way to "mash" the rules together, is there?

For instance, you choose to either have a Forgeworld Mortis Dreadnought with BS 4 and Fleet (Skyfire/Interceptor when Stationary) or you have a Codex: Dark Angels Venerable Dreadnought with BS5 (and more points cost...).

You can't have say, a Mortis Venerable Dual Twin Linked Autocannon Dreadnought with BS 5 and Fleet for the Codex: Dark Angels cost of 145 points, right..?

These are in fact the "experimental rules" just as the stamp on the FAQ states. These typically come out before the printed version usually when the model is released.

The newest version of the rules are in the IA Apocalypse book. It also comes with the 40K approved stamp if that makes a difference.

I consulted with a friend who owns some of the books. Apparently, those rules passed the experiemental stage and have gone live. There are additional wargear options in the book, he says, but everything listed there on the experimental page is still usable on the real thing.

That being said, the MORTIS pattern contemptor is a whole different thing, apparently. Sadface.

THIS is where you'll find the most up to date rules for both the Mortis Pattern Contemptor and the regular Contemptor (two different dreadnoughts in and of themselves). Please totally ignore any and all other books/pdfs/whatevers with rules pertaining to these models.... The Mortis Pattern Contemptor's stats have three different iterations now. So anything other than the most recent printing linked above is totally inaccurate.

[That's why the number of FW updates annoys me. Just look at all the different sources for Contemptor rules available..... and only one is ever the real one.]

These are also both completely different from the dreadnought I was talking about in the OP. The Mortis Pattern Dreadnought is itself a DA only model that is a "regular" dreadnought and only actually listed in IA 2, which is out of print at the moment, so the only available rules source is the PDF I linked in the OP (plus the 6th Edition Vehicle Update, of course!), until such time as they release newly updated rules for the guy.

Yeah Mortis contemptors =/= contemptors.

Think of it like this. There are 4 patterns of dreadnoughts for DA.

Codex dreads.

Mortis dreads which use the codex dread chassis.

Contemptor dreads which use the FW potbelly chassis.

Contemptor Mortis which use the same chassis as the Contemptor.

The OP was referencing the Mortis dread which uses the standard chassis we all know and love. Currently FW provides the rules for this pattern free of charge until they presumably update them in IA:2 second edition. Basically while everyone else gets to say "mortis dread" when talking about the contemptor variant, DA's have to specify they mean contemptor mortis.

I've been using the mortis dread since the end of july, and it's been an all star for me. Great source of high strength low AP damage. Basically every shot hits, and anything short of AV13 will be experiencing lots of pens. 

Archived