Chaos Contemptors - Are they worth it?

Brother Heinrich

Well frankly, its the price of a landraider once you give it the upgrades youll want to, so you need to make sure itll have atleast as much effect as a landraider.

Personally I like the looks of a second DCCW and a pair of plasmablasters or heavy flamers, with mark of Nurgle or Tzeentch to to taste. Seems like hed make a good firemagnet honestly, but hes so expensive it might be hard to make his presence worthwhile.

You could equip him for ranged combat.... if youre desperately low on that and have used all your heavy slots- theres nothing here a predator or havocs wont do better really. Let alone say... three obliterators.

Mark of Tzeentch I think is stronger. Theres alot of S7 floating around out there, with a 4++ and rerolling ones youre likely to stick around a long time vs that mid strength firepower.

They do not, and the Mortis Pattern is... perhaps stupidly... not available to chaos.

Considering the amount of chaos only units, and with GW and FWs decision to make ALL apoc units and formations useable by chaos and FW making most loyalist 40k units useable by chaos is that having a few loyalist only units is not bad but good. Considering the only loyalist only units that spring to mind are the TFC and the mortis contemptor

The big problem with the Chaos Contemptor is you are paying just shy of 200pts for a Walker

with AV 13,12,11 and 3HP and that's before upgrades, which you will certainly end up taking.

Add in that you cannot exchange the DCCW for an additional ranged weapon and it starts to

look a little limp in 6th Edition.

The fact that Chaos lack a delivery system (drop pod) for it is another bust IMHO.

If you compare it to the Decimator things get worse for the Contemptor.  Sure the Decimator is

BS3 but it can pack 2 ranged weapons, always has a 5+ Invulnerable save and can (albeit

unlikely) come back to life once wrecked.

If you then compare it to the Forgefiend, it gets even worse, as the Forgefiend does the same job

for 25+ less points, and comes with IWND and the Daemonforge on top of what the Decimator has.

As some people have suggested, you could go for the assault variant, which is outperformed by

the Decimator and both are considerably more expensive than the much faster moving

Maulerfiend.

Now both of the Codex examples are Heavy Support, so competing with Havoks, Obliterators and

Predators, all of which are arguably better choices.  Whilst the Forgeworld examples are both

Elites, so competing with Chosen and Terminators (Cults should be troops or not taken, and the

Helbrute, Mutilators and Possessed are woeful) so some people will have less competition for

those FOC slots and may be tempted.

But ask yourself this:

A Contemptor/Decimator or a Heldrake, or 3 Obliterators with the Mark of Nurgle... etc?

Which will prove the better options, in the majority of games you play?

I doubt many people would opt for the overpriced walkers (I'm sorry to say).

This follows a definite trend by Forgeworld to provide a very nice looking Chaos Model, with

underwhelming/underpowered rules that are beaten point for point by the stuff in the Codex (and

even that isn't particularly good either).

As I've said in another thread - why can't they just give Chaos some nice unique Predator and

Land Raider variants?  Why not actually get around to producing some nice Noise Marines, or

some nice Thousand Sons?  Why not produce a nice Character or two?  Say, a Night Lords

or Alpha Legion Character (plus, I think we'd all agree that new versions of Abaddon, Fabius,

Ahriman, Khârn and Lucius wouldn't be sniffed at either).

I'd be tempted to get a Decimator - to use as a Maulerfiend so I don't have to buy a Hasbro Dinobot

but It's too much money for a unit that I won't use.

Until a proper Chaos Contemptor model comes out - not interested, I don't have the time, patience

or money to risk converting an expensive Forgeworld model for my Iron Warriors, especially as

like above - it'd never get used.

Sorry to be such a downer, but the more I see of what's coming for other armies just makes me more

and more despondent about Chaos Marines.  Whether we like it or not we're the test codex for 6th

edition, and the development team don't really give a toss - as (as far as I can tell) none of them are

Chaos Marine players.

The big problem with the Chaos Contemptor is you are paying just shy of 200pts for a Walker

with AV 13,12,11 and 3HP and that's before upgrades, which you will certainly end up taking.

Add in that you cannot exchange the DCCW for an additional ranged weapon and it starts to

look a little limp in 6th Edition.

The fact that Chaos lack a delivery system (drop pod) for it is another bust IMHO.

If you compare it to the Decimator things get worse for the Contemptor.  Sure the Decimator is

BS3 but it can pack 2 ranged weapons, always has a 5+ Invulnerable save and can (albeit

unlikely) come back to life once wrecked.

If you then compare it to the Forgefiend, it gets even worse, as the Forgefiend does the same job

for 25+ less points, and comes with IWND and the Daemonforge on top of what the Decimator has.

As some people have suggested, you could go for the assault variant, which is outperformed by

the Decimator and both are considerably more expensive than the much faster moving

Maulerfiend.

Now both of the Codex examples are Heavy Support, so competing with Havoks, Obliterators and

Predators, all of which are arguably better choices.  Whilst the Forgeworld examples are both

Elites, so competing with Chosen and Terminators (Cults should be troops or not taken, and the

Helbrute, Mutilators and Possessed are woeful) so some people will have less competition for

those FOC slots and may be tempted.

But ask yourself this:

A Contemptor/Decimator or a Heldrake, or 3 Obliterators with the Mark of Nurgle... etc?

Which will prove the better options, in the majority of games you play?

I doubt many people would opt for the overpriced walkers (I'm sorry to say).

This follows a definite trend by Forgeworld to provide a very nice looking Chaos Model, with

underwhelming/underpowered rules that are beaten point for point by the stuff in the Codex (and

even that isn't particularly good either).

As I've said in another thread - why can't they just give Chaos some nice unique Predator and

Land Raider variants?  Why not actually get around to producing some nice Noise Marines, or

some nice Thousand Sons?  Why not produce a nice Character or two?  Say, a Night Lords

or Alpha Legion Character (plus, I think we'd all agree that new versions of Abaddon, Fabius,

Ahriman, Khârn and Lucius wouldn't be sniffed at either).

I'd be tempted to get a Decimator - to use as a Maulerfiend so I don't have to buy a Hasbro Dinobot

but It's too much money for a unit that I won't use.

Until a proper Chaos Contemptor model comes out - not interested, I don't have the time, patience

or money to risk converting an expensive Forgeworld model for my Iron Warriors, especially as

like above - it'd never get used.

Sorry to be such a downer, but the more I see of what's coming for other armies just makes me more

and more despondent about Chaos Marines.  Whether we like it or not we're the test codex for 6th

edition, and the development team don't really give a toss - as (as far as I can tell) none of them are

Chaos Marine players.

Well said, it's as I feared, really unfortunate because I would love to model a NL Contemptor for my guys, sadly I can't justify the purchase if all it ever does is collect dust. :(

Archived