If you decide to ally with Codex Marines, which chapter?

SRSFACE

I know a lot of people are planning on picking up the Codex book when it drops soon for allies purposes.

Me, I always just loved all things 40k and as like the longest of long term goals want a little bit of everything just because, nerd. Figured as one of the most straightforward Battle Brothers options we get as Dark Angels, I might pick up a few things if only because I'm bored of painting green!

I am thinking I'd do Blood Ravens, the THQ chapter. I know a lot of internet people consider this heresy as it was created for the video games, but hey! That's what got me into 40k to begin with. I also happen to think fluff-wise, they'd be good allies with Dark Angels because they too are like "NO ONE CAN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT US, MURDERDEATHKILL." Added bonus, the ruddy red and bone would look different yet complimentary enough from dark angel green and ravenwing black that they'd stand out in a good way alongside them.

Out of the 9 initial loyalist chapters, I'm not sure which one I'd do. I was looking at the 30k rulebook's chapters allies guide and apparently the only Sworn Brothers chapter DA can be with are Salamanders. Go figure. Don't wanna do more green, though. Would kind of defeat the purpose, and it'd make the two armies blend together a little too much I think. Want them to stand out, you see.

What about you guys? Anyone already play both Dark Angels and a codex compliant chapter, or fan chapter?

Since i can't really afford to make a seperate detachment of a different color to my main army, i would probably make them from a different company for my GoTC. Like some Devastator Centurions could be Veterans from the 9th company and the suits be from the main armory. Maybe the same for a thunderfire cannon. I would do this so i'm not left with marines I can't use outside of allies =/

If I could though, I would probably make them from an imperial fist successor, like the Executioners or Crimson fists. I always liked Dorn, so this would be a step towards them. Maybe the Fire Angels because I like thier colors.

I'm thinking of a small 750ish point force to ally with....and I'm going to do a Deathwatch Army!

2 Tactical Squads, 1 drop pod, 1 Rhino then lots of nice elites choices to fit in with Deathwatch fluff

Ooh, I actually like that a lot. Paint them all of the chapters!

I'm thinking of a small 750ish point force to ally with....and I'm going to do a Deathwatch Army!

2 Tactical Squads, 1 drop pod, 1 Rhino then lots of nice elites choices to fit in with Deathwatch fluff

well, paint all of the shoulder pads!

I've been searching on ebay for all of the different pads, but coming up short....I think I'm going to need about 30-40 of them :(

I've been searching on ebay for all of the different pads, but coming up short....I think I'm going to need about 30-40 of them sad.png

You can just do what I do and freehand it onto the blank shoulders. If you're going that diverse, too, might be time to get good with transfer sheets.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/Warhammer%2040k/June%202013%20-%20WH40k%20and%20Figurines/Commandsquadvetone01_zpsa1df6add.png

Best image I could find of one of my freehand tactical shoulderpads for my command squad.

I think I'll wait to see what specific Chapter special rules are looking like before deciding on C:SM allies.

Iron Hands might be cool as they are rumoured to be very resilient - but other than that can't say at this point.

Cheers

I

I have a friend who's been playing since 3rd edition and he moans constantly about the allies rule, and I don't get his beef. Personally, I think it's awesome because it rewards fluff fiends like me who just happen to like a whole lot of different stuff in 40k. I'm already starting an Ulthwé (though the way I plan to run them won't be Ulthwé like at all) Eldar force, just because the Eldar designs were what really drew me into 40k. Personally, I think it's cool I can get 500 points in every last army because I like the models and like painting different stuff, and run tons of different combinations out of them.

the closest thing i would use as allies would be legion of the damned, as i have a ton of them from the time when they actually had a army list of their own.

apart from that i would not touch allies with a ten foot pole sick.gif

I have a couple of squads of Assault Marines that I could paint up as a Blood Angels successor, keeping it in the family of the Angels of Death, so to speak.

20 Assault Marines, power swords, dual meltaguns. A Chaplain with jump pack (although not the best option, in my opinion one of the fluffiest).

I've been searching on ebay for all of the different pads, but coming up short....I think I'm going to need about 30-40 of them sad.png

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/CustomMinis Try this for shoulder pads they have a deathwatch package with a lot of the pads they offer.

http://www.shapeways.com/designer/CustomMinis Try this for shoulder pads they have a deathwatch package with a lot of the pads they offer.

thanks - ill take a look now! :)

I have a friend who's been playing since 3rd edition and he moans constantly about the allies rule, and I don't get his beef. Personally, I think it's awesome because it rewards fluff fiends like me who just happen to like a whole lot of different stuff in 40k. I'm already starting an Ulthwé (though the way I plan to run them won't be Ulthwé like at all) Eldar force, just because the Eldar designs were what really drew me into 40k. Personally, I think it's cool I can get 500 points in every last army because I like the models and like painting different stuff, and run tons of different combinations out of them.

If your friend has been playing since 3rd he should be okay with allies, since a form of allies was in the game at that point. SoB and Daemonhunters could be taken as allies for Imperium armies :P

If I had to choose, it would probably be Black Templars. Knights and Monks on the table slaying things for The Emperor. It shall be glorious!

Primary Detachment: Dark Angels.

Secondary Detachment: Dark Angels.

Cheerleaders: Dark Angels.

Victor: Dark Angels.

... DARK ANGELS!

Oddly enough, the only other Chapter I would consider allying with are the Space Wolves, purely to see the disbelief on my/our opponents face.

Archived