If you decide to ally with Codex Marines, which chapter?

SRSFACE

Very true! My apologies, let's keep it to the DA then, and let 10th Company do the cheerleading. Since they can't have Teleport Homers they aren't much good for anything else....

See what I did there? It's like 2 threads in 1 biggrin.png

Anyway, back on topic, I suddenly realised that I've been hemming and hawing over whether or not to do a Salamanders 30K army.... so a good starting point would be to use a small Sallies force as a 40K allied detachment. So I retcon my earlier post to say that I might use White Scars, Raven Guard or Salamanders as an aiiled detachment.

....or Tau msn-wink.gif

If I had to choose, it would probably be Black Templars. Knights and Monks on the table slaying things for The Emperor. It shall be glorious!

I'd thought about that, but the fact you can't take psykers is just too steep of a price to pay to bring them as allies. Librarians are easily my favorite HQ choice in our codex (although my personal favorite HQ guy I own is my converted Interrogator-Chaplain on a bike.) Giving up Prescience is too great.

I'm actually starting a small Ulthwé army and will likely take them as allies at some point. But they aren't battle brothers. So, it'll mostly be so I can bring a Fire Prism because those things are awesome. Would also be fun to roll the suicidal power on the Farseer as it couldn't be my Warlord so I could sac him every game and not care.

If I had to choose, it would probably be Black Templars. Knights and Monks on the table slaying things for The Emperor. It shall be glorious!

I'd thought about that, but the fact you can't take psykers is just too steep of a price to pay to bring them as allies. Librarians are easily my favorite HQ choice in our codex (although my personal favorite HQ guy I own is my converted Interrogator-Chaplain on a bike.) Giving up Prescience is too great.

I'm actually starting a small Ulthwé army and will likely take them as allies at some point. But they aren't battle brothers. So, it'll mostly be so I can bring a Fire Prism because those things are awesome. Would also be fun to roll the suicidal power on the Farseer as it couldn't be my Warlord so I could sac him every game and not care.

I'm sure it'll just be the BT detachment that can't take Psykers. So if you bring in a DA detachment you can still bring your libby and since they are Battle Brothers they can cast powers on them. It kind of gets around their "no psyker" rule, but they have always been close to the Grey Knights who are all psykers. But we won't know 100% till the codex comes out.

Well, they have a stipulation with their current codex that states "They may not be taken in any detachment that includes a Psyker" which from what I understand was Errata'd to not count Grey Knights after they got their own Codex. From what I heard, current rumors keep that stipulation in there. They can ally with armies who can TAKE psykers, but will not deploy alongside ones that actually do.

Either way, I'm too much of a fan of the fluff to do it. :)

Honestly there's a part of me that wants to make a small Ultramarines detachment. Sue me, I like the color scheme and it fits really nicely alongside the earth tones of the Dark Angels. Then I could recreate Captain Titus from the video game, and probably make the dude who dies into a Dreadnought or something. Part of me delights in the idea that the Dark Angels would be leading around a detachment of Ultramarines who'd flip the heck out of they learned the truth of the chapter. It'd be befitting.

Plus, if rumors about Tigurius are true, I think I could run a counts-as model of him for some potential cheese. Supposedly he's level 3 psyker who can choose from any of the main rulebook disciplines and gets to reroll if he doesn't like the first power he rolls each time. That means Biomancy. That means a strong possbility of rolling Endurance. That means dropping Endurance on a 10 man tactical squad that is just nothing but Boltguns and maybe a heavy weapon and then positioning them near my Banner of Devastation allowing me to actually mobilize that fire wall at full range, and you can't argue with the added survivability Feel No Pain brings.

Oh my. OH MY. How the mighty Dark Angles have fallen. In 4th editon, almost every DA player took NO ALLIES, (I believe almost everyone did that :P) and now look here, DA being allied with other Chapters and what not. 

Oh the fluff being killed off.

I guess DA suddenly trust others now eh? :P

Well, they have a stipulation with their current codex that states "They may not be taken in any detachment that includes a Psyker" which from what I understand was Errata'd to not count Grey Knights after they got their own Codex. From what I heard, current rumors keep that stipulation in there. They can ally with armies who can TAKE psykers, but will not deploy alongside ones that actually do.

Either way, I'm too much of a fan of the fluff to do it. smile.png

Honestly there's a part of me that wants to make a small Ultramarines detachment. Sue me, I like the color scheme and it fits really nicely alongside the earth tones of the Dark Angels. Then I could recreate Captain Titus from the video game, and probably make the dude who dies into a Dreadnought or something. Part of me delights in the idea that the Dark Angels would be leading around a detachment of Ultramarines who'd flip the heck out of they learned the truth of the chapter. It'd be befitting.

Plus, if rumors about Tigurius are true, I think I could run a counts-as model of him for some potential cheese. Supposedly he's level 3 psyker who can choose from any of the main rulebook disciplines and gets to reroll if he doesn't like the first power he rolls each time. That means Biomancy. That means a strong possbility of rolling Endurance. That means dropping Endurance on a 10 man tactical squad that is just nothing but Boltguns and maybe a heavy weapon and then positioning them near my Banner of Devastation allowing me to actually mobilize that fire wall at full range, and you can't argue with the added survivability Feel No Pain brings.

Bah, you're right. Its been years since I've opened the BT codex and taken a look at the psyker rule. Oh well, just means I take a Chaplain for rerolls teehee.gif

If the rumors for Tigurius is true, he'll be the best 40k psyker in the game. Even Ahriman and Eldrad wouldn't be as good. It also means EVERYONE will most likely be playing with some sort of Ultramarines, its just going to be that good. I hope he's doesn't get the rerolls. It'll just spit in the face of all the other psykers that have been out.

Oh my. OH MY. How the mighty Dark Angles have fallen. In 4th editon, almost every DA player took NO ALLIES, (I believe almost everyone did that tongue.png) and now look here, DA being allied with other Chapters and what not.

I guess DA suddenly trust others now eh? tongue.png

A lot of the times in the fluff the DA fight along side other Chapters and Imperial Guard. Just sometimes we'll have business elsewhere to attend to whistlingW.gif

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to paint up some Crimson Fists.  I always loved the Rynn's World fluff, so I think it is a match made in heaven.  And hey, it gets me access to the Hunter (yay!  actual AA!).  Might be a good basis for a Ravenwing heavy force actually.  Hmm...

Oh my. OH MY. How the mighty Dark Angles have fallen. In 4th editon, almost every DA player took NO ALLIES, (I believe almost everyone did that tongue.png) and now look here, DA being allied with other Chapters and what not.

I'll use other people to my own ends if it furthers the cause. Just because they don't know I've got a secret and am likely to lop off their head if they ever catch wind of it doesn't mean we can't be buddies until then!

But in all seriousness, I view the Allies rule thing as an excuse to play more than just one army, to simply model what I want to model and have fun with the hobby in a more expanded way. I'm never really going to field a competitive list because I simply do not like WH40k as a hardcore competitive game. I have Dota 2 for that, something that is actually exquisitely balanced and tweaked, and the gameplay mechanics aren't basically glorified Yahtzee. Think about it, at the end of the day that's all Warhammer is. Getting too into the gaming aspect of it ruined the experience for me and I almost got into a fistfight with this meat head at my local store over his taunting of me losing one game.

Yeah, okay, someone can field 3 heldrakes and 9 obliterators and two squad of cultists they simply hide as best they can to try and hold objectives and table me, but it's not very fun for either of us. And even when someone does play with a more straightforward list, it's not very fun when a tactical combat squad shoots 10 shots at my 5 terminators and I managed to roll four 1's. I try not to get too worked up about it nor really care anymore.

Games Workshop has proven without a shadow of a doubt they are the most egregiously bad game designers on the planet. I can't name a single other company that has mismanaged such an amazingly well loved Intelligent Property in my entire life. Even Activision's death of the Guitar Hero games was managed better than Warhammer 40,000 is.

I'll use other people to my own ends if it furthers the cause. Just because they don't know I've got a secret and am likely to lop off their head if they ever catch wind of it doesn't mean we can't be buddies until then!

But in all seriousness, I view the Allies rule thing as an excuse to play more than just one army, to simply model what I want to model and have fun with the hobby in a more expanded way. I'm never really going to field a competitive list because I simply do not like WH40k as a hardcore competitive game. I have Dota 2 for that, something that is actually exquisitely balanced and tweaked, and the gameplay mechanics aren't basically glorified Yahtzee. Think about it, at the end of the day that's all Warhammer is. Getting too into the gaming aspect of it ruined the experience for me and I almost got into a fistfight with this meat head at my local store over his taunting of me losing one game.

Yeah, okay, someone can field 3 heldrakes and 9 obliterators and two squad of cultists they simply hide as best they can to try and hold objectives and table me, but it's not very fun for either of us. And even when someone does play with a more straightforward list, it's not very fun when a tactical combat squad shoots 10 shots at my 5 terminators and I managed to roll four 1's. I try not to get too worked up about it nor really care anymore.

Games Workshop has proven without a shadow of a doubt they are the most egregiously bad game designers on the planet. I can't name a single other company that has mismanaged such an amazingly well loved Intelligent Property in my entire life. Even Activision's death of the Guitar Hero games was managed better than Warhammer 40,000 is.

that's one hell of a statement which made me spit my cornflakes over my laptop! LOVE IT! :)

Hm... maybe the Carcharodons Astra...

Fluffwise I'd likely go with space puppies / 13th great company.

Careful ... that might be construed as being sexist whistlingW.gif

Dark Eldar Wyches then? ^_^

Its not sexist since there's also male wyches (not that anyone would want them).

Then again, it'd be unfluffy to ally with xenos.

Absolutely Raptors definitely definitely...

I really like the idea of a Ravenwing force allied to a Whitescars Brotherhood. Fully mounted. So many contrasts: Black and white, noble and savage, remorsefull and brazen.

PS: I bet you thought I was going to say something like traitors and loyalists or dubious actions during hours heresy and staunch defenders of imperial palace. But I refrained from doing that.

Dark Eldar Wyches then? happy.png

Its not sexist since there's also male wyches (not that anyone would want them).

Then again, it'd be unfluffy to ally with xenos.

Only if the Dark Angels know the "allies" are there to begin with. One of the reasons I'm starting a small Eldar army.

As cheesy as it sounds, I'd probably go with my own successor chapter, the Knights Immaculate. I wrote their fluff so they don't know about the Hunt, so they operate more like a Codex chapter than the Unforgiven (Instead of the Deathwing and Ravenwing, they just have two Crusade Fleet companies). 

As for what chapter tactics I'd go with, as of right now I'm not sure which chapter would reflect them. I'm leaning toward Imperial Fists, as they both have a defending theme.

How about just picking units that will have the same or very similar rules as their DA equivalent (say Scouts, Librarian) or aren't in our codex (Centurions) and just painting them like DA ? That way you gain a third HQ slot, new toys and don't ruin the theme.

You could yes, just remember which units are subject to which rules!

Out of the new sm codex I find myself thinking Iron hands for some reason. Imperial fists and Salamanders would be good too.

Outside of sm chapters I always thought Imperial guard would be nice or the Mechanicum.

Hmmm, use IH rules but paint them red and 'pretend' they are my adeptus mechanicus wink.png

or maybe just go FW and use the real thing. Well only a matter of hours now to go before the Sm new shinies are up for pre order

I think the Imperial Fists would look great alongside some DAs. Their bright and noble colour scheme gives a nice contrast to the dark and sinister colours of the Unforgiven.

And both Chapters are a bunch of stubborn bastards (fluffwise), this combined crusade would be really hard to shift!

How about just picking units that will have the same or very similar rules as their DA equivalent (say Scouts, Librarian) or aren't in our codex (Centurions) and just painting them like DA ? That way you gain a third HQ slot, new toys and don't ruin the theme.

Thought about doing that, too. I would do the rings around their bases in different colors, or just do the bases in an entirely different style. If you've seen my bike chaplain, the rest of my current Dark Angels are on a dusty desert theme, so maybe I could put the guys I wanted to run as codex marines on a more terrestrial theme.

Maybe like the guy I just got finished as a birthday present to my friend last night. (YES I AM USING THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO POST PICTURES, DON'T JUDGE ME.)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/sandmanccl/2013%20August%20-%20Figurines/Albinius_zps702e3bcf.png?t=1377851480

Very nice SRSFACE. Nice detail. As for the topic, I prefer the main street to allies, to much trash cans to hit, hmm? What? ALLIES not ALLies oh, well, er ahem, (clears throat) never would a DW knight consort with the after chapters, to this I say NAY!! HERETICS ONE AND ALL!! (They just think their better cause they get ALL the new cool toyswhistlingW.gif ) but we have, you know, ahh stamina, and looks too. Okay I'm done.

That´s what I plan to do to represent the Forge of the Rock

Tech priest HQ

Scouts ( with Telion count as Naaman)

Dread ironclad

Storm talon

Storm raven

Centurion (painted in red like big techno suits from the forge )

The re-roll as chapter traits would represent accurate targeting systems.

Archived