Space Hulk: Deathwing coming in 2014?

FerociousBeast

not play as a librarian per se,  also possible to play a libarian, with 4 psychic disciplines.

fps with rpg elements. could be good, could be bad, 40k games have been a mixed bunch.

just hope that if this game really apears, its better in terms of technical work than space hulk.

my pc is a tad old but runs games like crysis and skyrim just fine, but space hulk runs like a mountain of organic fertilizer. if not for being turn based it would be utterly unplayable

The proportions of the DWT in the PCGamesN pic are terrible...worse even than the old metal models.  It looks like the upper arm is just long enough to clear the shoulder pad (okay, that's actually pretty accurate to the models), then the wrist of the powerfist attaches directly to the elbow joint!  The chest piece is a little short, the belt a bit huge, and the codpiece is gargantuan.  The shooty arm, head, and shoulder pads seem to be the only parts scaled correctly.  I'm excited about the possibility of a game, but they need to remodel the termies if that pic was generated by the unreal engine!

Sounds fun let's hope it lives up to expectations - Unreal is awesome. Great to play as a Librarian too. Hopefuly with some cool psychic abilities to chuck around.

Cheers

I

If this is anything like the Space Marine game THQ released, its going to be awesome!

Really? The last level of which is literally 'repeatedly punch the villain in the face'. I thought that represented the nadir of both FPS game design and 40k lore.

On reflection there is a canon incident of a lone Deathwing librarian facing a large number of genestealers, hybrids and cultists, culminating in a psychic duel boss fight. I think Master Avoghai touched on it when he mentioned Two Heads Talking.wink.png Maybe this game is a loose adaptation of that classic tale.

If this is anything like the Space Marine game THQ released, its going to be awesome!

Really? The last level of which is literally 'repeatedly punch the villain in the face'. I thought that represented the nadir of both FPS game design and 40k lore.

On reflection there is a canon incident of a lone Deathwing librarian facing a large number of genestealers, hybrids and cultists, culminating in a psychic duel boss fight. I think Master Avoghai touched on it when he mentioned Two Heads Talking.wink.png Maybe this game is a loose adaptation of that classic tale.

Okay, the last level was terrible I'll agree to that. The Ending was anti-climatic as well. But when I remember that game I'm not remembering the last 10 minutes of the game. I'm remembering the first level and valkyrie run :P

If they manage to do that and leave out the last 10 minutes, they'll have a hit.

It is Two Heads Talking. In fact he died in the psychic challenge. That story was in the deatwing supplement for space hulk in 1990. The story goes lime this :

It unfolds on an unknown world, where the deathwng comes to take new recruits. It's a primal world, where the inhabitant lives in small villages ( read here native americans, Iroquois/hurons). All the members of the deathwing present comes from this world, where every 100 years the deathwing comes to find the best warriors of each tribe to induce into the DA.

When they arrive no warriors await them, so they head to the nearest village where everyone is dead. In a grotto they find dead villagers with genestealer drawings on the wall.

Further inspection shows all the villages empty and a big city in the horizon. Two heads talking goes alone to investigate and learns that a space hulk crashed some decades ago with cultist and stealers inside and that they gathered everyone in the city built around the hulk.

Two heads talking gets jumped over by cultist and stealers and is brought tocthe genestealers patriarch (today broodlord). Psychic duel follows and two head talking is slain.

Mainwhile, the other astartes sits around a fire and tell tales of their encounters with stealers in the past like old womens. I think that it's Lame Bear that point that out, saying that instead of acting like astartes they sit and talk. Cloud Runner, captain of the deathwing decides that they will avenge their peopleand so they pant their armour white to show that they are ghost walking. They head down and kick the butt of every stealers. In the end only 6 astartes remains. So they check every survivors for genestealers taint and split them into six tribes, each one lead by an astartes that will teach them the old ways and make them worthy again of joining the DA.

A truly good story.

Unreal is an excellent engine, if an old one.  I absofreakinlutely loved sneaking in all naaman-like in UT, and then blasting out of a joint with a flag on a hoverboard.  Hero Of The Battle stuff, and never fired a shot.  But...that was like 10 years ago, IIRC?  Anything built on Unreal today is going to look...primitive.

Unreal is an excellent engine, if an old one.  I absofreakinlutely loved sneaking in all naaman-like in UT, and then blasting out of a joint with a flag on a hoverboard.  Hero Of The Battle stuff, and never fired a shot.  But...that was like 10 years ago, IIRC?  Anything built on Unreal today is going to look...primitive.

There are currently 3 distinct generations of the Unreal Engine today, with Unreal 4 in development. For reference Gears of War was an Unreal 3 game, while this will be unreal 4.

If it's unreal4, I retract all comments....but I want to see a UT game build on U4 engine!

Yeah, me too. The original Unreal was freaking awesome. :)

Used to play 4 person Deathmach on LAN.

Meh...never really got into unreal...but Unreal Tournament...that was THE SHIZNET.  I mean, a FPS with excellent graphics, as a freaking sport (at least in CTF mode) without all of the "my combat simulator is more realistic than yours" hangups associated with COD, BF, and the like?  Golden. 

Oh?

i never managed to play any of the old space hulk games, there were a few. i think the most famous one people would be referring to is 'vengeance of the blood angels' which was originally out on 3DO? I think it would be pretty cool, but i'm not sure how the FPS elements would really work. aren't you basically just walking up and down cramped corridors? it doesn't sound like the type of setting that would be conducive to much freedom and exploration. 

Archived