Space Hulk: Deathwing coming in 2014?

FerociousBeast

Unreal is an excellent engine, if an old one.  I absofreakinlutely loved sneaking in all naaman-like in UT, and then blasting out of a joint with a flag on a hoverboard.  Hero Of The Battle stuff, and never fired a shot.  But...that was like 10 years ago, IIRC?  Anything built on Unreal today is going to look...primitive.

Oh?

Pardon the eyeroll, knucklehut.   Did you miss the fact that it was pointed out to me TWO DAYS AGO that this game will use the new Unreal 4 engine, not the Unreal 3 engine that I was calling "primitive?"

Unreal is an excellent engine, if an old one.  I absofreakinlutely loved sneaking in all naaman-like in UT, and then blasting out of a joint with a flag on a hoverboard.  Hero Of The Battle stuff, and never fired a shot.  But...that was like 10 years ago, IIRC?  Anything built on Unreal today is going to look...primitive.

Oh?

SNIP

Pardon the eyeroll, knucklehut.   Did you miss the fact that it was pointed out to me TWO DAYS AGO that this game will use the new Unreal 4 engine, not the Unreal 3 engine that I was calling "primitive?"

Three things:

1) Name calling and poor attitude is uncalled for

2) The Unreal Engine 3 is not primitive, as it receives monthly updates by Epic with new features. Also, shaders are more important for how it looks, and those are almost always custom written by the developers.

3) You did not specify which engine you were referring to, and since we are on the 4th iteration, obviously you could have been referring to any in that range. 

Pardon the eyeroll, knucklehut. Did you miss the fact that it was pointed out to me TWO DAYS AGO that this game will use the new Unreal 4 engine, not the Unreal 3 engine that I was calling "primitive?"

Well, anything built on the original Unreal engine would look fairly primitive.

Although truth be told, the original Unreal still has a place in my heart, from way back in those days.

Seriously, the first time you walk out of that space ship.

Still, more games with the first Legion/Chapter in it never hurts.

Also, I wonder if there will be a Deathwing DLC for that other space hulk game.

Interesting. Focus Home Interactive is the publisher. They're the ones backing Eugine Systems on the RUSE/Wargame front. I wonder if they'll eventually try to do a full scale 40k RTS a la Wargame: Airland battle. That would be interesting.

Focus and Cyanide published Blood Bowl which has been doing quite well, although there have been bugs along the way. Certainly looks like it might be fun. The terminator model looked to be a little 'old school' in the sense of where his arms actually join the body, but I will need to watch the video a few more times to be sure.

The only grime I had with the newly released Space Hulk strategy/tactic game, is the fact that everything looks too shiny. As in "Ultramarine shiny", not the grime and darkness that I'm accustomed to see(same for Dawn of War 2, even though I did like the campaigns in them).

- This on the other hand, is at least art-wise spot-on.

Awaiting with a forlorn hope, that it'll be a worthy of the title, to bear the torch of "Vengeance of Blood Angels".

- For if nothing else, I wouldn't mind not playing a psyker. I just want a good representation of the Deathwing and I'll be happy(and it looks nice indeed).

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look through the game's forums (http://forum.spacehulk-deathwing.com/index.php), and in the news announcement post, it appears the only option you'll have is to play as a Librarian. They also call it a FPS with no mention of any kind of squad dynamics. So, given you're playing as Librarian, the lack of mention of any kind of squad dynamic, and the description of the trailer as a Deathwing terminator "stranded in a space hulk," it really feels to me like it's just going to be a straight shooter.

Info's still scant, though, so I hope I'm wrong!

Odd...it shows a generic tactical terminator, yet you're supposed to be a stranded librarian, alone and unafraid on the space hulk?  Could be awesome as a generic termie whose previously undetected latent psychic powers blossom in isolation on the hulk, without oversight from the chapter, complete with all of the angst of the termie who knows that he'll most likely have to be destroyed if he ever makes it out of there, but with a duty to do so in order to prove his purity to himself, to the chapter, and to the Emperor...

I saw the news for this via one of the gaming news channels I follow on YouTube. I'm excited for it. I love the idea of any game where I get to play as a member of the DW! I've personally never played Space Hulk, but from what I looked up about the game, it looks like a good time. Any recommendations from you out there with experience with it? 

Archived