Tactics for the New C:SM....

Azash

I think scouts in a land speeder storm with power fist sarg is going to be pretty useful, to take out all those annoying wave serpents or to hit the rear armour of tanks ect. they would even be useful against monsters if you pull of a blind result with the launcher. bikers with grav guns are going to be awesome as well especially for raven guard players getting to scout and re-roll hammer of wraith, white scars aswell obviously and even iron hands

Because you dont have control of where the subsequent blasts land. If the first blast scatters horribly, the others are still off target. The non-barrage current version gives you a second, third or fourth chance to correct that deviation and land blasts on target.

oh .__.

I'll probably be replacing my pair of AC/HB predators with whirlwinds what with the points hike (why? It's not like they were overpowered) and taking a Stormraven with a bare bones scout squad in it for dual AA and last turn objective grabs. The hunter and stalker don't really do it for me, in looks or points/rules.

That's a good idea, I'm still confused about that points increase but at least the Annihilator got a drop. A Whirlwind with its new price is a good replacement.

As for the Hunter and Stalker I like how they look but I'm not sure about their effectiveness. Opinion seems divided and I don't have lots of experience in flyers so I'm unable to decide, going to have to wait and see how the dust settles methinks.

I heard the hunter will be at least 75 points, so not that bad in my opinion. Have to try out the thunderfire cannon a few times before buying it though.

What would be the best size for bikers? I feel the five/six man squads are too small (experience. The RW biker squads i use get destroyed so quickly.)

I use 5+MMAB with 2 meltas and a combi. They normally do the job. 1st turn fire should at most knock down 2 T5 4+++ models. In most circumstances, if the enemy is firing enough guns to knock any more down, he is wasting his fire power on the bikes instead of my real power units. 

My fists were fairly aggressive, and so provided many possible targets, hence this theory ^. Yet to see how it pans out in the new book, except for the fact that I know my HB devs are going to be even more powerful! 

ZP

I use 5+MMAB with 2 meltas and a combi. They normally do the job. 1st turn fire should at most knock down 2 T5 4+++ models. In most circumstances, if the enemy is firing enough guns to knock any more down, he is wasting his fire power on the bikes instead of my real power units. 

My fists were fairly aggressive, and so provided many possible targets, hence this theory ^. Yet to see how it pans out in the new book, except for the fact that I know my HB devs are going to be even more powerful! 

ZP

So is 8 man too much? I was thinking, since i only have 12 regular bikers and 2 MMAB, to make 2 squads of 6 with the attack bikes joined. would this be good?

The basic HB version got bumped, but the upgrades reportedly went down, meaning that the only version with an overall increased price is the HB one.

But... that's the one that I like.

Oh Heavy Bolter, why does GW hate you so much?

The basic HB version got bumped, but the upgrades reportedly went down, meaning that the only version with an overall increased price is the HB one.

It's silly. HB variant now costs 55 which renders it too expensive in my opinion, when taking in to account the reduced capacity.

LasCannon and other upgrades are cheaper however...

It's silly. HB variant now costs 55 which renders it too expensive in my opinion, when taking in to account the reduced capacity.

LasCannon and other upgrades are cheaper however...

Yeah I'm thinking a Rhino with 2 Storm Bolters will be better for many players (4 shots for 40pts).

I've always run a pair of Rhino's with two storm bolters in my mech lists, and the new points make me glad I made extra storm bolters for the half-dozen chassis I can mix and match hatches/weapons on (Rhino/razorback with all options)

I've always run Whirlwinds too, so I like the points drop, ditto with the honour guard...and basically every core unit in my demi-company list. Just from a quick look, I'll be adding nearly 200 points to my standard list (dropping unnecessary upgrades like the odd vet sergeant).

Who wants to bet when the FAQ comes along the Champion gets back his ability to take a relic blade?

I've got the ebook (because the FLGS I go to has been told of a week or more delay by GW for the Codex I pre-ordered late) and just a cursory look makes me want to bang my head on the desk. Seriously, I did a semester of creative writing and editing, and some of what they've missed in QA is unbelievable. (at one point scouts with WS x3...).

Vulkan does keep Digital Weapons (see his Heavy Flamer description) and gets a command squad now too...fun.

I'll need to check again to see if it's possible, but I made a standard bearer with a storm shield and bolter for furioso-prime's deathwatch challenge...I want to make a Company standard bearer with storm shield and the relic bolter!

Anyone have any idea if/when Forgeworld will update the IA 9/10 rules?

Stalker has more shots, and the option of doubling it's shots, splitting them between two targets, at BS2 (described as simply filling the sky with fire instead of targeting a specific aircraft)

Hunter has that one, powerful shot, that has a chance to hit again on following turns (it specifies the rear armour too, so if it hits later it's gonna hurt!)

I think the only way to really tell is to try them out in a game (good thing the kit has the parts to make both turrets at the same time apparently!)

Archived