Cover save of Battlements

The Librarian

I have seen in the forums several times that people say battlements confer a 4+ cover save without regard to the type of building.

Me and the guys I play with, we all understood the official FAQ that way, that battlements of (normal) buildings confer a 4+ cover save, as the cover saves  of battlements were never adressed in the BRB and the FAQ just wanted to do this. The battlements of fortifications however confer a 3+ cover save as they are a part of a multiple part building (BRB p.95) and the corresponding building is a fortification which give a 3+ cover save (BRB p.18).

I am interested in your thoughts about this.

Does come up a whole lot- there are very few real fortifications in my terrain shelf... as opposed to heavy stone walls etc.

Best bet with terrain is to always take the 2-3 minutes to cover it with your opponent before the game, some people will think a stone wall is a fortification, others will say its a garden wall with delusions of grandeur, its best to be sure.

Fot those arguing that battlements are 4+, I would be curious to know, if the battlements on a Bastion don't count as Fortifications, thereby conferring a 3+ cover save as per page 18, then what does?

I dont think anyones saying that? He said specifically of 'normal buildings' wich a bastion certainly is not.

Fot those arguing that battlements are 4+, I would be curious to know, if the battlements on a Bastion don't count as Fortifications, thereby conferring a 3+ cover save as per page 18, then what does?

I dont think anyones saying that? He said specifically of 'normal buildings' wich a bastion certainly is not.

I was responding to the first line of the OP:

I have seen in the forums several times that people say battlements confer a 4+ cover save without regard to the type of building.

Well as I see it:

Battlements are a part of whatever building they are on (they are part of the building rules on page 95)

They will therefore offer the appropriate cover save for that building type.

Now a bastion is a fortification and we are told by page 18 that the cover save afforded by a fortification is 3+, so that resolves that pretty clearly.

As far as other buildings are concerned, we don't have a formal ruling.  Is it 4+ like a ruin or 3+ like a fortification?

So we have to refer to the paragraph below the list of cover saves (still on page 18) which states:

"Before deploying their armies, it is a very good idea for players to go through all the terrain pieces on the battlefield quickly and agree on what kind of cover save each will offer"

Now if it were me, if the building was constructed using the bastion, they I'd say definitely 3+ cover.  If it used the "ruins" set then that should offer a 4+ cover.  If it were made to look like it was constructed out of scrap/timber etc, then it'd be a toss-up between 4+ and 5+ cover depending on how sturdy it looked.

At the end of the day, GW has given some examples of what save certain types of terrain should offer, but that's all they are.  It's up to either the TO/GM/Players to decide on exactly what each type of terrain offers as far as cover is concerned.

Q. What is the armour value of battlements? (p95)

A: Battlements have no armour value as they are not a

building. They serve to protect any models on the roof of

the building in the same way as barricades and walls (see

page 104), offering a 4+ cover save.

It's a blanket statement. All battlements act as barricades and walls, giving a 4+ cover save.

Archived