progress on sculpting tycho's banner

Pyro X

so here is the progress so far on the banner. any thoughts if any of the feathers look odd? I know its kinda hard to see because its all green.

After I finish this letting it dry and harden I am going to do the rest of the banner and then maybe make a mold of it to cast it with resin.

preping the area. I had the printed banner in a plastic bag so I can pull off the green stuff and put it onto the banner I make later.

gallery_62261_8686_400673.jpg

starting out the boarder on the wing for the banner.

gallery_62261_8686_261516.jpg

two different views of the wing finished.

gallery_62261_8686_229567.jpg

gallery_62261_8686_502788.jpg

any thoughts on what I can do to touch it up if needed?

I think it's nice, the biggest suggestion I would make would be to have used thinner green stuff.  I've been experimenting with wings and such and what I've found most helpful is rolling out a large, thin (1/16" to 1/32") sheet of putty and then cutting the feather shapes out of that and then laying them atop each other to make a really delicate but accurate wing.  Overall though I like this- it's going to be very striking once finished!

You might be too far down the process to try this, but a friend showed me using a mix of Green Stuff and Milliput.  It can be rolled VERY thin.  i think he used Vaseline to help it not stick while e was working with it.  It also cures harder/stronger than GS alone, and can e carved easier.  I'm still a rookie, but I'm sure someone in this forum can give you better tips on it. 

Archived