Grav Rifle Bikers

L30n1d4s

Since SMBs are rumored to be reduced in points (xx tokens each now) and have access to Grav weapons, imagine the following:

-5 SMB with 2 Grav Rifles, Sergeant with PW/Combi-Grav, and MM Attack Bike

At 18", this unit can put out 9 Grav-gun shots and 1 MM shot, which should be able to inflict major damage on any 3+/2+ save units and even threaten heavy vehicles as well (Melta weapon and glances from Grav rifles).

If you are facing cheap hordes, then the bikers can just shoot with their TL Bolters instead.

Either way, Relentless SMBs seem to combine very well with the new Grav weapons

This sounds like a great idea - assuming nothing scuppers it when the codex comes out such as pricing or number of special weapons of course! Maybe the real problem would be getting enough grav weaponry to arm the models with...

I imagine the unit wouldn't be too cheap relatively speaking but for the potential it looks like it might be worth it especially with the TL-bolters giving you some anti light infantry capabilities too. I reckon the main drawback might be the unit's effectiveness itself as any opponent worth his salt will target them as a high priority before they start popping his elite units. So a larger squad to weather the storm seems prudent.

With an 18" range you'd have to be aware of potential counter charges which bikers don't like which I assume is why you've added the PW? Hopefully a veteran biker Brother can weigh in with a more experienced assessment, but it looks pretty appealing to me.

The rumours stated that grav guns feature where special weapons may be taken so unless someone comes out and says otherwise then it's fair to assume that bikers will get them as they have access to special weapons too. Due to the salvo rules and their range Relentless platforms definitely seem the best place for them, otherwise they might get limited use during a game.

Though as said we'll have to wait and see, since we all know GW moves in mysterious nonsensical ways...

Oooh, that sounds disgusting. I have mixed feelings about grav rifles on a biker command squad. On the one hand, it would be extremely effective in killing meq or tougher. On the other hand, if they do ignore cover, well lets just say I hope I never face that unit... Poor death wing armies...

That's a fiendish idea, I'd say it might be overkill and a few too many points in a small unit that with such brutal effectiveness will surely be high on your opponent's priorities?

How many grav shots are you going to need anyway? Terminators suffer enough as it is :P

This has me feeling inspired.

2 units of 3 bikers. Sgt with grav pistol, 2 grav rifles in each one.

The squads will put out 7 shots each. Not far over 100 points per unit with the cost reduction.

They can reliably immobalize tough vehicles like Land Raiders and will chew through termies/obliterators/grey knights with ease

The squads will put out 7 shots each. Not far over 100 points per unit with the cost reduction.

They can reliably immobalize tough vehicles like Land Raiders and will chew through termies/obliterators/grey knights with ease

It'll be great until you come up against a mob of cultists/gaunts/conscripts that you're wounding on 6's. :P

It'll be great until you come up against a mob of cultists/gaunts/conscripts that you're wounding on 6's. :P

You still have the twin linked rapid fire bolters.

Just to fuel this fire, remember the hammer of wrath. And then remember the white scars rumoured Chapter Trait helping with HoW attacks too ;)

Not too shabby I must say.

ZP

Grav bikers sound awesome because Relentless ignores the one downside to the grav gun... and they can easily get in range.

I'll definitely field one unit of 3. Combi Grav + 2 grav guns. It's too good to pass up :-)

See I just don't know if spamming such units in small numbers is points efficient. I mean it is until someone decides to shoot the unit and you lose your special weapons. But then I guess it's a calculated risk and you could potentially get a lot of such models in an army.

Well, the way I see it 3 grav gun bikers can put down a Riptide or a squad of Obliterators in one round of shooting.

If you manage to deliver them safely the job is done, and killed or not they have earned their points.

Archived