Grav Rifle Bikers

L30n1d4s

Definitely. That's why I want 2 such squads but with a pair of bullet catchers in each squad so I get a little resilience.

Anyone feeling White Scars are going to be scary this edition? Whole armies of such units (3 or 5 it doesn't matter) will be terrifying!

Agreed, such a squad would surely draw the ire of your opponent as it speeds forth and crumples his best units in on themselves so the extra models will provide them some much needed durability. A full sized squad would maybe be a bit too unwieldy though.

I'm thinking 5 Bikes w/ 2 Gravguns + MM Attack Bike. My sergeant will have a Powerfist but that's optional ofcourse. 2 Squads. What do you think? I will be running Kor'sarro with a decent command squad aswell.

I notice everyone "auto-including" the MMAB in their squads.

I recall ShinyRhino (where has he gone) extolling the virtues of biker-only squads, with the MMABs running in the FA slot.

Of course, one might argue that now StormTalons have arrived, there are less FA slots available.

There hasn't really been much discussion of the new special weapon's synergy with MM.

But grav-weapons versus vehicles seems useful, and the range-bands seem compatible.

I do worry that the grav-biker squads will end up in CC, and without improved resilience that is not a good thing.
Especially when you consider that the bikers will be charged, so no additional HoW attacks.
Hit and Run may help, if they survive.

Grav isn't great against vehicles, you're mostly glancing them to death so though they have a good number of shots you're playing the odds a bit. A MM will help provide some real punch that can threaten armour and has a good synergy with grav's range and AP value so it seems like a pretty obvious choice to run in support and provide extra wounds. It's not as a replacement for any other melta or bikers, where they can keep doing their tank popping thing :)

Not great when compared to their effectiveness at their primary targets, no. Your grav units are going to be primarily going after elite models, nibbling away at tanks is your backup if you've nothing else available.

Immobilising can be very useful, there's definitely scope for tactics such as a first turn immobilise on enemy vehicles that want to assault your lines but that's probably best left to Centurion grav cannons and their extended range and number of shots.

Definitely. That's why I want 2 such squads but with a pair of bullet catchers in each squad so I get a little resilience.

Anyone feeling White Scars are going to be scary this edition? Whole armies of such units (3 or 5 it doesn't matter) will be terrifying!

no, As an army like that will do nothing against demons.

But every squad has 50 odd points of useless grave weapons. That's a massive disadvantages. a few squads in a balanced List will be excellent but taking a whole army like, granted will desamate most marine lists but wouldn't work against most xenos biulds

Centurion grav cannons only have 6 inch greater range than rifles, and with SnP bikers will probably end up having the greater threat range, if not the greater number of shots.

Agreed, but in this case I was thinking about avoiding reprisals - the Centurions would be able to fire from further away. With such dangerous weaponry an opponent might want to lock them in CC so a bit of distance would be a nice buffer to try and prevent it.

I don't think anyone is declaring the age of grav where everyone and his dog is equipped with it, we shouldn't get bogged down too much in what grav can't do or isn't particularly brilliant at. Suffice to say that grav will certainly have a place in builds but won't be outright replacing any other special weapons which is surely a good thing.

One of the reasons I am thinking of allying in some White Scars with my Ravenwing is to make my opponent's threat allocation more problematic. Does he prioritise the White Scar bikers with grav guns, or the Ravenwing Black Knights with plasma talons and RWGL? Currently, playing against Ravenwing it's pretty obvious that the Black Knights are the superstar unit, but stick some grav bikers in to the mix and its not as clear cut. If I can make my opponent hesitate or make a mistake, I'm halfway there! smile.png

I'm thinking a three man Bike Squad with two Grav Rifles - no other frills is the way to go. If you have the points, then add one or two additional Bikers. I think that the Grav Pistol or Combi-Grav is not as cost effective in this smaller unit. Yes, it is extra shot(s), but you need someone to take the extra hits - and I think that will be more cost-effective.

I've run a 5 man bike squad plus mmab with two grav guns and a combi grav as a bodyguard for my bike mounted chapter master with burning blade and seriously this unit is a beat stick! Oh hey mr riptide/wraithknight! Squish/implode plus maniacal laughter :}

Archived