For old times' sake

I joined the forum a week or so ago asking about instructions for a set of sprues I bought and I got some really helpful replies, so I thought I'd show what I've done so far.

I used to paint, but haven't done so for about 15 years, but having been put on a month's garden leave before I start a new job I thought I'd have a go. Bought a Space Marine Command Squad from eBay and some paints from Element Games (because they were marginally cheaper than anything else I could find and their postage rates were far better) and the stuff all arrived a day or two later.

So I've started on the standard bearer (because, although it means I've gotta paint a banner, I figured I'd want his to be a simpler armour set-up so as not to detract from the banner too much) but, considering I've not picked up a brush in 15 years, I'm fairly pleased with it so far.

20130825 000704

I always preferred sharp edge highlights, but I don't think I ever really thought of them as highlights; maybe just worn edges. I dunno. Either way, that's what I've gone with. Obviously he's not finished (hence WIP), but I've done the bulk of the armour, the eyes and faceplate grill and started the gold. (The blue's not actually quite as dark as it looks; just given a tint by the horrible yellow light in my front room).

What does everyone think?

Nice highlights happy.png It looks like you have a steady hand, so painting the rest should be like riding a bike as they say smile.png

Nice highlights happy.png It looks like you have a steady hand, so painting the rest should be like riding a bike as they say smile.png

I really don't! It's taken me about four hours to do this so far. I'm not even loading the brush; just holding my wrist steady with my other hand while I get the tiniest dot on the end and going with that. I'm hoping I'll get steadier as I get used to it again sweat.gif .

Well thanks for the replies. Here's a couple of updated pics.

20130830 000814

20130830 000846

For anyone interested, I'm using VGC black primer, followed by VGC Imperial Blue as a basecoat, then Citadel Altdorf Guard Blue for the main blue tone. I'm then mixing VGC Wolf Grey into the AG Blue at a couple of different levels for the highlights, with a final mixed highlight consisting of Wolf Grey with a tiny bit of AG Blue mixed in. I'm using a touch (and I do mean a literal touch) of VGC Dead White for the highest points.

The gold is VGC Tinny Tin with VGC Glorious Gold over it (and a final highlight of the Glorious Gold with a tiny bit of Citadel Runefang Steel mixed in). For the gun, armour joints and so on I've dry brushed Citadel Leadbelcher over the black, then highlighted with Runefang Steel and point highlighted with that with a tiny bit of Wolf Grey mixed in. For the skull on the back I didn't have any of the obvious colours so I mixed VGC Bonewhite, Khaki and VMC Hull Red, followed by Bonewhite and Khaki, followed by Bonewhite.

So that's where I'm up to so far. I'm going to have a go at some markings now, and then I'm going to be left with the banner, which I must admit I've been dreading a bit. We'll see how it goes though.

Has anyone got any tips on banner painting? (Graphics, rather than fabric.) Any help or pointing me towards relevant help would be much appreciated.

First ever attempt at a freehand Ultramarines logo...

20130830 131549

Quite pleased with that. Did a circle, left the centre clear, added a couple of lines and took out the middle at the top. Had to scratch a bit off and re-do it because there was a chunk of dust or something stuck in the paint, but got there in the end.

Archived