New Captain Alaric of the Golden Lions

Volfen

I kit bashed this new Captain for the Captain/Chapter Master challenge in the WIP forum, and after he was constructed, the model just called for a paint job.

Now if I was going to make another, I'd magnetize the right arm in order to switch to a power fist, then he could be my new Pedro Kantor counts-as model.

Here he is for comments and critiques. Hope ya like him smile.png

gallery_61766_6576_68831.jpg

gallery_61766_6576_36094.jpg

dramatic foreshortened view msn-wink.gif

gallery_61766_6576_58835.jpg

tried to blend the red of the cape, not quite as successful as I'd wished

gallery_61766_6576_58144.jpg

experimented with new(er) power weapon simulation

gallery_61766_6576_68538.jpg

hopefully ready for the tabletop

gallery_61766_6576_1597.jpg

comments and criticisms welcome.

I love the gold you've achieved here. I think going back and touching up/thinning out some of the highlites would help as far as criticisms go. Oh, and nice pose, but I think bringing up the sword arm a little would finish it off :)

The colour and paintwork are tremendous. I think you may be right about changing the right arm though, it does look a little stretched, kind of like the shoulder join has slipped while the glue was drying. Otherwise, a good concept modelled really nicely.

To be totally honest, the arms are something of a mess. It looks like someone broke his right arm and pulled it out of its socket (long and at an unnatural angle), and as a rule I'm against Termie arms on power armor sweat.gif

The paint is kinda weird. It's sloppy in a lot of places, but it also works pretty well. Sort of an "impressionistic" version of gold.

No quite sure I understand the reasoning behind the sawed-off jump pack. And why is his base elevated?

You guys are correct - the right arm is stretched.  It comes from using parts of 3 arms to make one -- I guess I didn't "quite" get the arm length to the proper dimensions ;)

The Blood Angel bits are because my Sternguard / Vanguard vets use lots of Sanguinary Guard bits to simulate veteran or artificer armors.  The backpack / jump pack was just to try for a different "look".

I wondered if the hard highlights would work - I was trying to simulate a reflective surface and obviously need to redo it :)

oh, and the raised base is because all my marine bases have a 1" washer glued to the bottom.  It tends to lower the center of gravity and allows me to attach them to a magnetic strip that is glued to the bottom of my carry case.

so Capt Alaric will be getting a new right arm (maybe two) and I'll be blending his highlights.  May take a while though ;)

Archived