I'm thinking of getting the new Sternguards...

Ishagu

You and half the forum I think Brother! :lol:

It sounds good, but with the drop in base cost and increase in combi-weaponry (assuming the rumours are true) I'm thinking that it might be better to have more models and just get the special weapon itself. No worries about when to fire it and the extra numbers will give the squad much needed durability and of course the Stern's special ammo is as useful as ever.

Yeah, mine are on order, one of each box of vets and 2 units of tacticals. Should give me enough weapons to swap around. There is something like 10 weapon options per model in the stern box. And the tactical box looks like it is packing lots of nice new toys. Need to see all the ins and outs of the grav weapons. 

Just wait until the dex drop. You might not have enough space in your elites to fit a unit of sterns in...

ZP

Personally I recommend running them very close to stock and with Pedro to make them scoring. (I never understood the suicide melta squads) I would give each squad a few combi-grav weapons and use them to hunt CC squads as well as Monstrous Creatures (With their special ammo a full squad can kill a wraithlord in one turn, and with Grav guns they can also handle things like riptides in one turn). The points you save on troops can be dedicated to Anti armor or CC as you please.

At 10 points a pop for combi's sternguard might not be our best source of grav weapons. MSU units of bikers with 2 grav guns and a combi should be just over ~110pts (roughly), and are relentless so they fire at the higher rate. If you're using a bike captain or Khan then you could even make then troops. Those elite slots are precious!

I think the best use for sternguard will still be turn 1 melta and heavy flamer delivery, using special ammo to mop up afterwards. Of course I could be completely wrong...

I will be running my guys very cheaply in order to spam as many of them as possible. My standard build I am leaning towards:

"-x10 Sternguard "Combat Squads"

-Drop Pod

Squad A (x5 Sternguard)

*w/ Bolters, Special Ammunition

Squad B (x5 Sternguard)

*w/ Bolters, Special Ammunition, x3 Combi-Meltas"

With this build they can cover all bases quite effectively with their special ammunition (poison for Riptide and Wraithknights, ignore cover for Aegis Defence Line ect) and the x3 Combi-Meltas for any heavy armor that I may come across. Also with this build "point wise" it is the exact same point cost as x10 naked Sternguard in a Drop Pod in the current codex so it is still expensive but you still save some points.

Archived