Vicotrious(2500pts vs Chaos/Tau)

NCSUWolf

Hail brothers, I just wanted to extol a recent victory of mine (one of a bare few since my joining the Ranks of the Unforgiven some 1 year ago). A friend recently brewed up a nasty sounding list of Nurgle demons allied with Tau and wanted to get in a game of it so I sallied forth with my DA Tau allies list Ive been mulling about. We agreed to 2500 in preparation for an upcoming tournament and set forth.

His List(roughly):

Great Unclean One, lvl 1, Hellgate artifact

3x Flying Princes, lvl 3 (Iron Arm on one, Warpspeed on the others, Adamantine Will on one, FnP on the third)

3x10 man squads of Plague Bearers

6 man Plague Drones, leader with AP 2

Commander, puretide/multispec/cnc/iridium

10m Kroot w hound

3x Broadsides w missle pods

Riptide w/IA, fusion blaster, FnP

My list:

Azrael

Librarian, lvl1(got Invisibility) on a bike w PFG

RW Cmnd squad, apoth, grenade launcher

2x 6m tacticals, flamer, razorbacks w Las/plas

8 man DW squad w 3xTH/SS, cf

9 man DWK

RW SS, Typhoon/mm

commander w/puretide/iridium/cnc/multispec

13m kroot w hound

3man broadside w missiles(one with splitfire)

Riptide w/IA, fusion blaster, Skyfire/interceptor

More to come:

Mission: Store mission with 2 sets of objectives 3 "neutral" / 2 "home" ; and the standard First Blood, Linebreaker, Slay the Warlord

Board: Hammer and Anvil

Deamons got first turn.

I took "Hold at All Costs" for Azrael and had him stand with the tactical termies on my home field objective which was in a forest. Knights holding the center. The Broadsides and Riptide took up position near the center of my backfield, my typhoon's and razorbacks settled behind cover on the right flank with my bikes rolling up the left and my kroot coming in off of reserve.

He put his princes in a building, his broadsides behind a building next to his 'tide and his plague drones down the middle, outflanking and his plague drones/GUO deepstriking.

Turn 1 (night fighting): I failed to seize so he moved up on his turn, complete with the flying trio all buffed up. His broadsides chucked a few errant shots and the riptide overheated when trying to lob a pie-plate down into my lines. All in all a bike dies.

-My retort was to reverse my Razorbacks back away from the Princes, cutting off charge-lanes to my broadsides, thinking to feed him into wasting time blowing up the transports or diving into my Knights. My typhoon moved into position to unload into the princes(still flying) and my bikes shifted to prepare for a possible counter charge. Salvo's unloaded from everything I had and all I had to show for it was a wound on a single prince.

Turn 2: He outflanks his Kroot right next to my speeders, deepstrikes (in a specatularly balsy fashion) plague bearers between my Razorbacks and Broadsides, the other two squads in mid-field and moved his drones into charge range. His Broadsides fired a few more vollies to no avail and the tide once again failed to wound anything significant. The Princes remained airborn but in position to strike,

-I unloaded my Tacts in short strike distance of the backfield Plague bearers, further clogging up my lines with razorback positioning. My own Kroot moved on the board next to his Broadsides, my Knights further positioned to hold off the demonic tide. My tide lobbed a, typhoons and razorbacks unloaded into the princes grounding one and putting multiple wounds on it. My Kroot rapid-fired into the Broadsides, killing one (26 "bolters" will beat 2+ saves eventually).

Turn 3: With his GUO still in reserve he charges in with the princes and the drones. His tide failes to do any damage and his broadsides shoot up my Kroot (miraculously not wounding more than a few). His Kroot wreck a speeder as well. Then comes the charge(s). Two princes into my DWK, 1 into my broadsides from behind, his backfield plague bearers into my broadsides and the plague drones split charging the DWK and Command Squad. Miraculously my Commander whithers the strikes of one prince (mostly because he neglected to smash-attack) while his drones are wiped out by my Knights popping Smite (3 Knights+bikes), the remaining knights simply tying up the other two knights through amazing 3++ rolls.

-My Kroot charge his Broadsides (only losing a few in the process, but mainly locking down the annoying missile barrages), Azrael and Co move to charge the bearers locking down my own broadsides and my tacticals split between charging a prince and the bearers. My termies(w/Azzy) steam-roll his bearers(giving me First Blood!), my Kroot snuff a broadside suite and, in a massive feat of daring the knights strike down one of his Princes (the one with Iron-arm no less) while holding another Prince at bay.

Turn 4: His GUO finally drops in, scattering into some awkward terrain, throwing the Hellgate back in position to send the spawning troops at any of the mid-field objectives. His Kroot move to take pot-shots at my Razorbacks and manage to put a hull-point on it. Remembering his smash attack now, he crushed my Commander finally and only by virtue of yet more awesome 3++ did my Knights continue to hold out against that prince.

-My Kroot strike down another Broadside, while Azrael and Co swing around to defeat the now open Prince who was engaged with my broadsides, but not before he strike down my suites. My Bikes charge to tie-up GUO.

Turn 5: My Riptide finally is struck down by his, my Bikes die of almost to a man and the last of my Kroot stands with his Commander only. The last Prince finally falls to my Maces of Absolution though.

-I move my remaining tactical squad up to make a charge at his two plague bearers sitting on the closest mid-field objective (a long-shot 10" charge but they weren't doing anything else likely. My bikes die a gruesome, nurgley death but my tacticals make the charge, killing the Bearer's and contesting the objective (for the time being).

With a die-roll the game ended in true Dark Angel form with the Unforgiven begrudgingly holding the darkness at bay (I won home objectives and tied mid-field while getting first-blood and we both got linebreaker with our Kroot squads). Huzzah!

I shall ignore everything about allying with Tau, but will make sure to send a report to our beloved Chaplain.

On a serious note, it sounds like you had a really fun game; I'm jealous. Although, I couldn't say the same about the Chaos player. Three flying Daemon Princes? Three? And you beat him without using the slightest bit of Dark Angels cheese? Nice. It's also good to hear Azrael isn't too comfortable in his arm chair to come out and kick some Chaos ass!

Ive already schduled a long weekend stay in Chamber 42 (although, the Watchers are about the dame height as a fire warr.. :x )

But yes, his Princes were quite put out by the turn of events :) Not gonna lie, Papa Nurgle waiting in reserve till turn 3 certainly didn't hurt my cause.

As for Azrael, 8 termies with 4+/FnP isnt anything to sneeze at heh. And he DOES have 4A, str 6, ap3, mastercrafted, ws 6... Not the worst :)

All in all a fun game to say the leasy

Point of order, this was a test game, as Id mentioned, due to my not having gotten many games under my belt and the Demon player having not played 40k in 6th Ed at all (he's primarily a WHF player).

-The store I play at fosters competitive playstyles (one of them just got 4th place at Nova and was on the 4th place team at ATC... and I believe top 5'd at Adepticon). When looking at DA, it's rough to ignore the allies aspect of 6th ed and still field lists that aren't handicapped against opponents who don't stop at utilizing every aspect of the game. (And to be fair, if we had a big, robed, -true plasma toting mech to field I wouldn't bother with the space-commie-fish). 

-Chaos and Tau are Desperate Allies, but it was fine since they each took on a different battlefield aspect (one up in your face and one at long range) thus the "Watching Them" downside never came into play. 

-I see now that I was in error in using Invisibility, as I said, both of us were rusty/new and didn't catch that (I for some reason though all the Warp Charge 2 powers were on their respective 6's). Obviously this helped but it didn't honestly do more than tie the one demonprince up with my Knights for an additional turn due to the WS1 part of the power. That said, now that I think back on it, I realize how powerful that power can be, lesson learned. 

But I'm glad to see my heresy has attracted some attention. And my clearly Chaos-tainted victory is in small part to my Unforgiven forces rather than the oh so effective Cheese (notice in the Batt-Rep how I killed perhaps 5 MODELS with my "cheese", like-wise for my opponent. Hell, we killed more of each other's Tau then we killed each other's primary detachments, just sayin). 

Archived