Battle for Humanity (Legion)

GhostMalone

Stick with the IV Legion. Or go to the III. Maybe the VIII. Ooh, I know! The XVII!

III Legion is out. I'm never going to paint a purple marine.

VIII could be interesting, but I'm not painting lightning on them if I do.

XVII... was their armor black in the Great Crusade days, or was that just the XVII Legion before the Emperor found Lorgar and gave him the army?

XVII... was their armor black in the Great Crusade days, or was that just the XVII Legion before the Emperor found Lorgar and gave him the army?

As far as I know, their armor was never black. It was grey until after Istvaan V, which was when it took up the red with gunmetal trim. There is also the red and black of the Gal Vorbak as well as the red with silver helms of the Vakrah Jal.

Actually Kage iron warriors or thousand sons

Funny you mention them...

XVII were grey before the heresy, red after they were censured by the Emperor and the turned traitor. What about the VII or X? I'm considering adding some allied XVI and XVII to my I even some "unknown" XX operatives.

I was thinking IV as the most likely, but VI, VII, VIII, and XV are ideas I'm kicking around. If white wasn't such a pain for me to paint, I think the V Legion always looks awesome when painted well.

As far as I know, their armor was never black. It was grey until after Istvaan V, which was when it took up the red with gunmetal trim. There is also the red and black of the Gal Vorbak as well as the red with silver helms of the Vakrah Jal.

This is what I was thinking of:

http://i.imgur.com/bFevkKg.jpg

The Lexicanum site shows this as the Imperial Heralds, as they were known before Lorgar was found and given the army.

True yet the young ones will be raised with this as solid fluff :/ that's my only problem

yeah, if you ask my 9yo, he think's the new 40k is awesome.ermm.gif

They can write whatever they want in the fluff. My 40k is in my head, not their crappy new codexes. It's just as grimdark, grubby, dirty, and hopeless as it ever was. What made me quit playing was other decisions the company made to directly affect me as a consumer, not changing a little of the background.

Now, help me choose a damn 30k legion.

well on Legion note, heres my thoughts

Loyalist:

1. Whitescars

2. Salamanders

both of these are going to be under represented. it's confusing because of the conversion potential.

Traitors:

1. Alpha Legion

2. Word Bearers

for much the same reasons

Now, help me choose a damn 30k legion.

well on Legion note, here's my thoughts

Loyalist:

1. Whitescars

2. Salamanders

both of these are going to be under represented. it's confusing because of the conversion potential.

Furioso-Prime, you make some good points on these two.

I've been thinking it over the last few hours, considering factors such as conversion possibility, difficulty of painting, end product(how an entire force might look arrayed together), and finally, saturation. If any of you have looked at my WIP thread, you know I like to browse artwork to help with inspiration, and this decision was no different.

I think I'll keep my Iron Warriors in the 40k era. The winner for 30k is:

http://i.imgur.com/lXYiywK.jpg?1

I've always liked the look of the V Legion and loved the rare photos by GW of a White Scars army on display.

A few pics of some nicely done models also helped sway me:

http://i.imgur.com/9ninxMg.jpg?1  

http://i.imgur.com/2Sd4KaI.jpg?1  

http://i.imgur.com/FTKmxeJ.jpg?1

Now, that last picture there is definitely a lot better than I can paint, but I also think it's way too shiny for a proper grimdark 30k army. Endless wars of unification, pacification, and compliance probably didn't leave a whole lot of time for repainting and polishing armor and vehicles

Holy sweet mother of jumping jehosaphat. Is that non-metallic metal? Holy cow. It's so white! It makes my teeth look yellow! Although that may be the excessive soda drinking.

Right? That's James Wappell and he's a much better painter than I will probably ever be. But again, far too clean. Once I get to grips on these guys, they'll be weathered as hell.

Wow, I finally won!?! JK

that is real cool!, this is probably going to be the Coolest WS army I've seen!

Since you don't see very many of them, that's a strong possibility. :P

It's good to have you kage msn-wink.gif

Ill help you however I can, I can't wait to see it succeed

I can't promise anything real soon, Jasp, but thanks. :)

Oh here you are! I completely missed the post (doofus).

So, I'm gunna pledge some world eaters in support of Mr Jcats own - I haven't settled on a definite selection yet but the 3 have to have choices will be:

HQ - Khârn + chosen retinue

Troops - 2 × CSM squads

As for transports - I'm thinking stormravens unless anyone has any better ideas..?

I also have 10 termies PIP and a 5 man assault squad to come.

So Jasp, can I just bung the world eater thingy in my signature?? BTW I notice the XII legions is smaller than everyone elses, what gives?!

So, I got my paints today.

I decided to get sufficient paints to allow me to trial both the FW Death Guard scheme, and the one from the WD Paint Spatter article last year. I also got the glazes & paints needed for the heat burn technique in this month's WD, and will trial that after the initial test schemes.

Alas, while it is a perfect day to paint today, I shall be leaving the house shortly, so not enough time to get anything done. Hopefully tomorrow.

Archived