Test models for my Chaos Cultists

Gratan

So, I think I am pretty happy with these fellows, and I am considering calling them done. Other than the base of course. Please take a look and offer any advice or criticism they might warrant. I've not done any painting in a long time and I can pretty much say, these are the first I've done to a mostly completed state in a very long time.

This will be a unit of 20 Chaos Cultists of Nurgle. They are meant to take and hold the closest Objective. All I am going for is tabletop quality, and trying to keep it as simple a scheme as possible since I have 20 of these fellows, and another three squads of 10 to paint as well.

Please be honest, so I can get them done. My biggest request is advice on basing these guys. I guess I need to decide on a theme for basing for the entire army to tie them all together. Thoughts?

First things first: These guys are already looking pretty good. Great job! smile.png

I think you could go a step further with them, though, even if you're mainly going for tabletop standard: I'd add some additional accents in a lighter silver on the weapon and masks, and I think the clothes would also benefit from some simple accents in a slightly lighter colour. Nothing fancy, though, more like slightly more controlled and focused drybrushing msn-wink.gif

My own big gripe with these is that you painted them all exactly the same: When painting cultists, I would use the same palette of colours while painting the different parts differently between models - especially when working on models that use exactly the same sculpt. So one guy would have a brown coat, a green hood and grey pants, while the next could have a brown hood, a grey coat and green pants, and so on. That way, your paintjob will not only succeed at hiding the fact that some of the models are duplicates, but you will also make the models look ragtag and unified at the same time, which is a pretty good strategy for cultists.

Here's an image to show you what I mean:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2012/10/12/420623-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Cultists%2C%20Dark%20Vengeance%2C%20Starter%20Box%2C%20Traitor%20Guard%2C%20Traitors.JPG

I'd also consider some small conversions (head swaps, adding some bitz,...) to add more variety to the squad, if I were you.

As for making these guys fit the rest of your army, we'd need to see one of your CSM to say something about that. Or are these the first models you have actually painted for this project?

When it comes to basing, take a look at the fantastic basing tutorials over at FTW, especially the ones on simple basing themes and colour theory for basing. These are really a great help in figuring out what you want to do for your bases.

Hope this helps! smile.png

Cheers,

KS

Yeah, I like them too! Are all the cultists identical? I kinda like it, a bit like automatons... having said that, a couple of differnet poses might liven them up - is there a leader? Show us more! smile.png

Not all identical no. The unit is made up of the Autogun Cultists from the Dark Vengeance set. The unit is 20 men, all drawn from the 30 with Autoguns. This means there are duplicates in the squad.

Cultist Champion with Sword and Shotgun

Cultist with Heavy Stubber x2

Identical Cultist x3 (pictured above)

Identical Cultist x4

Identical Cultist x5

Identical Cultist x5

I didn't do any kind of conversion work with these Cultists, which is odd for me since I do a lot of conversion work normally. I was in a rush to get them to a playable state and now I'm just trying to get them painted. This CSM army is not my main (Dark Angels, Warriors of Chaos for WFB), so I don't think my heart was truly into taking the time to convert.

I'm working on the next group of identical 4, once I get those painted, I'll post them here as well.

Thanks for the kind words.

First things first: These guys are already looking pretty good. Great job! smile.png

I think you could go a step further with them, though, even if you're mainly going for tabletop standard: I'd add some additional accents in a lighter silver on the weapon and masks, and I think the clothes would also benefit from some simple accents in a slightly lighter colour. Nothing fancy, though, more like slightly more controlled and focused drybrushing msn-wink.gif

My own big gripe with these is that you painted them all exactly the same: When painting cultists, I would use the same palette of colours while painting the different parts differently between models - especially when working on models that use exactly the same sculpt. So one guy would have a brown coat, a green hood and grey pants, while the next could have a brown hood, a grey coat and green pants, and so on. That way, your paintjob will not only succeed at hiding the fact that some of the models are duplicates, but you will also make the models look ragtag and unified at the same time, which is a pretty good strategy for cultists.

Here's an image to show you what I mean:

I'd also consider some small conversions (head swaps, adding some bitz,...) to add more variety to the squad, if I were you.

As for making these guys fit the rest of your army, we'd need to see one of your CSM to say something about that. Or are these the first models you have actually painted for this project?

When it comes to basing, take a look at the fantastic basing tutorials over at FTW, especially the ones on simple basing themes and colour theory for basing. These are really a great help in figuring out what you want to do for your bases.

Hope this helps! smile.png

Cheers,

KS

Actually, I've done some light dry brushing before and after I did the washes, the pictures seem to not capture that very well at all. I was wanting a muted look to them anyway so what highlights I did were very light and sparing.

I normally do a lot of conversion work and I didn't do a thing with any of these cultists. I was in kind of a rush to get these assembled and playable. CSM isn't my main army so I didn't spend as much time with them as I should.

The basic goal with the army was to utilize only the new Chaos Marine models from Dark Vengeance, Raptors, Heldrake, Forgefiend. I am slightly (ok... maybe more than...) OCD, so I cannot stand the new models being used with the old models... The aesthetic differences are just so jarring it makes my teeth itch... With this army wide design paradigm, it leaves me using a lot of duplicate models. For the most part, this doesn't seem to bother me that much.

Even my Marine squads deal with duplicates

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Yourswordismine/DV%20Crimson%20Slaughter/IMG_0691_zpsc23d42b4.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/Yourswordismine/DV%20Crimson%20Slaughter/IMG_0694_zps63d4da35.jpg

I have another duplicate squad but with Meltaguns.

Back to the Cultists. I'll try to differentiate the next group a bit more. That's a good idea, in theory. I just hope my OCD will allow me to pull it off lol!

And yeah, these were the first three models I painted for the project. Probably not the best way to start... It was not my intention to start with the Cultists. I'd primed all 50 of them on the only good day we've had in the area to prime... Every day since has been too hot or too humid (mostly both) to prime the rest of the army. I'm hoping that will change soon so I can get the rest of the models done before it gets too cold to prime again...

Thanks for the links KrautScientist. I'll check those out when I get a chance. Also, thanks for your advice. Your project log has been an inspiration. I plan to "borrow" your Spawn idea, if that's ok.

Archived