Heldrake as Anti-Aircraft?

Jiron

Hey,

I have to solve a problem. My brothers wants to expand his army for some fliers.

So I started to think (again) what I can do for AA in Codex Chaos Space Marines. I am not willing to buy allies (as I am not willing to invest more money for another codex and units I don't want to use but I have to).

So there are the options:

Havocs with flakk missiles - too point expensive

ADL with quad gun - I am usually playing offensively and having defences in the back is quite contraproductive for me

Heldrake with Hades autocannon - what do you think? I know that it works better against infantry with baleflamer but I want him to hunt down aircrafts. I will kill infantry by my ground forces. Do you think it can work?

Thank you for comments.

Go figure, I was about to suggest a Havoc squad fielding with an ADL so the sergeant could man the big weapons while the rest of the guys shot rockets.

But, yeah, Heldrakes already have built in anti-air in their Vector Striking. It's not ideal against other armor 12 flyers but anything less than that, works great.

Just to avoid any suspicion, i dont want to buy those flyers just because I want beat my brother /well.../, I am buing them just because of the fluff. My Alpha Legion (SM dex, no CSM) included IG operatives are planned as special forces. So with fast chopper delivery to target - those tactics US excell in 'NAM, Desert Storm /and will less succes Somalia, Afganistan.../.

I already agreed we will use 5th edtion rules for flyers or Skyfire everywhere, but he realy want to beat me with regular rules.

And he usualy does, as I knwo how to kill him with Dark Eldars, but not with Marines. Much to learn I still have...

I've been finding that since my opponents are handing the flame template from Heldrakes much more effectively, the HadesDrake has actually become much more useful.  Killing 4 marines is fine, but flying over a vehicle, vector striking it, then shooting it in the rear with 4 S8 shots can be much more useful, especially if that's taking down an enemy flyer (like a CH).

I think a lot of chaos players go this way. Helldrake "good" out of csm. Enviroment runs armies that nullify helldrakes or not realy top tier lists . CSM builds start sucking . Changing and Rechanging of list. Helldrakes don't work , but 2-3 cost a lot. CSM players takes demon ally and starts runing mace DPs [cooltists as troops anyway] . saves points on bikes, drakes , support bike sorc etc. list starts to run 1 DP , 1 GD . demon DP ...... csm players starts looking at the demon dex and finds out that , while randoom and time eating demons run better then csm. Jumps ship. Enviroment hates the new zylla army , just like it hated nids. Eldar arrive . Chaos player looks at all the cash investet in to csm and demons . All those feels .

edited out the pics , obscenities and gifs of me dancing.

OK I am decided! I will make Autocannon Heldrake!

Vorganov: I don't want to change rules. I want to have fun. If it means I will have to adjust my feelings about some units (just as I did about Maulerfiend which is now one of my favourite models) to improve my Space Rats Warband and to let them win our little campaign, this is where I go! And who knows. I have re-read the fluff for heldrake and I am starting to like it a bit :-)

Archived