Just got done looking through Codex: Space Marine >:[

SRSFACE

He simply adds the narthecium.

So he can take a bolter or bolt pistol?

"so we decided that my Sergeant was already at 250% damage when Captain Falcon landed his attacks. Flew right off the side of the board, and we are playing stock mode with only 1 life apiece. (I really hope someone gets that joke.)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3swylpHp8gs

I picked up the new 'dex yesterday.  I've been toying with the idea of doing a small, elite C:SM force for quite some time now so wanted to have a look over it.

My thoughts:

AA is, as expected, better than ours.  For the price of the flying bat, they can take a Stalker and a Hunter with points left over (if memory serves).

I know our termies are good, but they can take 5 for 200 points - are ours that much better?  Probably...but I may run a C:SM list just to see how it works without our special rules

Centurions are going to be EVERYWHERE.  Deep strike some DWKs in front of them ftw...?

Grav weapons look very good and, you never know, may get FAQ'd into our dex....ok, I know we're plasma happy, but let's be honest.....they're not cheaper and are very dangerous (especially if you ask the special weapon marine in my 3rd tactical squad....)

I prefer our libbys

Their Captains seem better than our Company Masters, but their Chaplains ain't as good as ours (which, let's be honest is the big thing because we all take Chaplains over Company Master's.....right?

If this edition is showing us anything, it's that you have to really plan your army out.  With new units coming in for every army, there will always be counters to them but they need to be carefully thought out*

*and, no.  I have never beaten a Wraith Knight and have all intentions of taking a load of Centurions to do just that...and I will feel no shame!

Long time reader, not frequent poster, but this thread made me want to post, and not in a good way.

Couldnt we have less whining about White scars or raven guard being better then what we have and not be happy that our first foudning brethern have finally got some support? We have had support since angels of death or even before. What did they get in the last 22 years? An adeptus astartes article in WD, a special character in 4th or 5th that gave chapter tactics and some shoulder pads on GW site and not much else.

Cant we rather then complain, be happy that they get some support?

I know our termies are good, but they can take 5 for 200 points - are ours that much better?

I look at it this way, for an extra 4 points per terminator I get to pick between two turns on when they deep strike instead of rolling reserves, twin-linked weapons on that turn and split fire? That's got to be worth way more than 4 more points per model. It almost feels like we're undercosted.

I know our termies are good, but they can take 5 for 200 points - are ours that much better?

I look at it this way, for an extra 4 points per terminator I get to pick between two turns on when they deep strike instead of rolling reserves, twin-linked weapons on that turn and split fire? That's got to be worth way more than 4 more points per model. It almost feels like we're undercosted.

SHHH!

Compared to C:UM terminators?  Maybe...but in light of the fact that a 5 point guardsman can down a DWK by butt-stroking him with his lasgun in melee?  In a D6 system, elite models are almost inevitably overcosted.

And if all else fails, you can console yourself over the fact that the Centurions are uglier than every model in our range, including the Land Speeder Vengeance! msn-wink.gif

That Sir, is a BIG call tongue.png

I hear C:SM Command Squads can't take 5x Special weapons, I love my Plasma Squad. We will survive, just fix the damned Nephilms' missiles!!!

It was just a writing error, they FAQ'd it so the squad can take 5 special weapons.

>>march10k

I really hope it's Ward save for termie instead of Invulnerable save...just saying.

Note for non WHFB player:

Ward save is like Invulnerable save, can't be denied by any mean, but also can be taken after you failed your armor save.

I was worried about some of the marines' new "toys", then I played my first game against the new marines. 

My Black Knights sped around the board, massacred his bikes, centurions (very bulky does not help them against assaults), and wiped out his TH/SS termy squad, termy chappy, and lysander with the assistance of my DWK's and their smite mode (initiative was very helpfull in that nail biting assault). 

I used devi squads as a fire base and deep striked some termis to help take care of the other threats.  Turn 3 win.

From what I've seen our codex is still awesome.  They have some nice new toys/guns, but our codex is AWESOME  due to our mobility (green wing, DW, RW).  Use GW for a fire base, deepstrike DW for objectives and anti tank roles/character killing, and use RW for sweeping the table.  Doesn't always work, but I've had success against almost everything but nids. 

I would not trade our toys for theirs.  Grav weapons are cool, but plasma can do similar things (anti 2+, MC's, etc).  Then again some allied centurions in cover would be nice mobile support for RW....... esp against those pesky 'nids

>>march10k

I really hope it's Ward save for termie instead of Invulnerable save...just saying.

Ward save is like Invulnerable save, can't be denied by any mean, but also can be taken after you failed your armor save.

?!?!?

I said neither ward nor invul in this thread...but consider yourself battered about the head and shoulders with a sock full of a golden demon trophy anyway.  Just for being that picky about terminology!

>>march10k

Ward save is like Invulnerable save, can't be denied by any mean, but also can be taken after you failed your armor save.

?!?!?

I said neither ward nor invul in this thread...but consider yourself battered about the head and shoulders with a sock full of a golden demon trophy anyway. Just for being that picky about terminology!

I mean if that's ward save maybe TDA can meet it's price. Still, just saying...

>>march10k

Blade of Realities. Lizardmen magic sword. It can bypass ward saves.

Just saying.

But yeah, it'd take a relic (40k equivalent) to ignore those ward saves.

Except ward saves don't exist in 40k.

Hm... I'm not sure if Matthew saves or not...

*Mathew. Those of us who spell the name properly rather enjoy the dissociation. :P

Eh, not my fault the lexicanum page of the grey knights codex has it spelled incorrectly.

I'm being nitpicky and OT, don't mind me!

Archived