A lonely White Scar.....

Grotsmasha

This model is a couple of firsts for me, I actually am happy with the finished white, it's not perfect, but it was realitively quick, I could batch paint @ 5 in 2.5-3hrs, and secondly, it's the first time I've attempted to hand paint any sort of symbol, let alone a Chapter symbol.

So it is intended as a GC/HH era model, any C&C is welcome, but one specific question, does anyone think it would look better with the shoulder pad studs in red?

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y464/Grotsmasha/White%20Scars/IMAG0121_zpsdf1cc6ad.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y464/Grotsmasha/White%20Scars/IMAG0120_zps7bed01cc.jpg

Cheers,

Jono

Looks like something went wrong in a couple of places. The left shoulder and left lower leg look like they have some sort of seam running through them. Dunno if that's the model or the paint.

The Chapter symbol isn't bad, but it's awfully big and a bit uneven (rather tall above the band).  Definitely a good first attempt, but I would recommend practicing on some junk bits for a good while before going full scale.  It will help if you come up with a simple, easy to reproduce geometry or general process for deciding the shapes.  For instance, making a plus sign to begin with, and using it to determine the width of the band and the heigh of the lightning bolt, while also using it to center the shape on the pad.

The white isn't bad, but it's not great.  Rather thick and a bit messy in spots.  I think the studs would look good in red, or perhaps gold.  You oughta paint the pipes on his chest as well.

• Looks like something went wrong in a couple of places.....

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? msn-wink.gif
  • White Scar looks good! I would add some red dags to break up the white.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? msn-wink.gif

It's ok, I'm a big boy, I asked for it thumbsup.gif

As for the red dags, originally I was running off of the Rogue Trader scheme, which doesn't have them.

Looks like something went wrong in a couple of places. The left shoulder and left lower leg look like they have some sort of seam running through them. Dunno if that's the model or the paint.

The Chapter symbol isn't bad, but it's awfully big and a bit uneven (rather tall above the band). Definitely a good first attempt, but I would recommend practicing on some junk bits for a good while before going full scale. It will help if you come up with a simple, easy to reproduce geometry or general process for deciding the shapes. For instance, making a plus sign to begin with, and using it to determine the width of the band and the heigh of the lightning bolt, while also using it to center the shape on the pad.

The white isn't bad, but it's not great. Rather thick and a bit messy in spots. I think the studs would look good in red, or perhaps gold. You oughta paint the pipes on his chest as well.

In regards to the leg/shoulder, yep, miscasts and I cnbf getting out the GS to fix them. I may go back and try my hand at painting damage, haven't done that before either.

For the Chapter symbol, I wasn't going to bother, but figured wth, I'd give it a go. The sizing's too big 'cause I made it up on the fly and it kinda grew as I 'fixed' its unevenness.

I was painting a night time under not ideal light, it definitely needs another run or two of ceramite white to cover the wash up.

I'm going to be doing a second one today or tomorrow, I think I'll try red studs on that one, the white pipes were also a through-back to the RT scheme.

Cheers,

Jono

It's ok, I'm a big boy, I asked for it thumbsup.gif

Jono, that's a reference to Firepower's avatar picture, which is the character Oddball from the movie Kelly's Heroes. This might help explain:

Nice start to the WS. I didn't know the RT era version went without the red.

Oh, btw, your package got here yesterday. :)

I'm actually surprised how many people do get that reference :D  Maybe you oughta make a Oddball Marine, eh BCK? ;)

As for the studs, my concern is that unless it is either dark or gold, it will not stand out at all against a white background.  Red would be bold and eye catching, but gold would work with the yellow and still stand out from the white well enough (perhaps better if you go with more of a bronze shade).  Contrast is your friend :tu:

Practice helps.....as does modifying the badge slightly !  :D

My initial attempts on my Tac squad:

http://i40.tinypic.com/24ot75g.jpg

And then my Assaults, the final squad at the time:

http://i44.tinypic.com/103uddk.jpg 

You can see the difference. My method was to start with a yellow rectangle, then the red edge/curves, filling in the corners with thinned yellow, and only then attempting the lightning flash. I have around 150+ transfers sitting by that I may well revert to once I start the rest.......

And yep, Scars were all white in the RT/HH days, with only the occasional splash of red tribal markings on Vets etc. Red trim these days is still an unknown, early guides showed white, later editions showed red (now the accepted norm), and I'm sure someone will have it per company colours. Just waiting on the supplement to crush and destroy my archaic, pieced together fluff.

@ oldschoolsoviet: It was definately the third zag in the Scars lightning bolt that contributed to it being a little big. Your symbols look to quite a good alternative.

As for the studs, I think I'll try red then if I'm not convinced, I'll try metal. The chest cabling will definately be going metallic.

Cheers,

Jono

I'm actually surprised how many people do get that reference biggrin.png Maybe you oughta make a Oddball Marine, eh BCK? msn-wink.gif

I picked up a VHS copy of Kelly's Heroes at a garage sale when I was like... 9 or 10. I used to watch it all the time. smile.png

I always preferred the "Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning. Think the bridge will be there and it will be there. It's a mother-beautiful bridge, and its gonna be there" line smile.png

"It's up" BOOM! "No it ain't! See what sending out them negative waves did?"

Back OT - lovely Scars coming along, although I'm sure they'd appreciate some pretty bases to stand on msn-wink.gif

So when is your lonely White Scar gonna be getting some friends?

Also... why are you painting the icons?

I want to say ASAP....but my Saints Row 4 just arrived in the mail and I feel as though it's going to be hard to put down.

As for the Chapter Badge, no reason other than my lady was sleeping and I couldn't get to my decals. So I tried it because never had.

Cheers,

Jono

Archived