Black Legion Supplement

Dammeron

Amidst the doom and gloom inspired by the impending Space Marine codex (imperialist filth; kick them in the teeth 'til it hurts!), there is a faint, flickering point of darkness in the star light: The Black Legion.

First of all, the very fact of this supplement represents at least some acknowledgement on GW's part that legion specific forces are not only desired but viable on the table top. I can't imagine that, having done one, the rest will not follow at some point. This is a very, very good thing, especially for the likes of the Thousand Sons, Alpha Legion and Night Lords, who have been given generally short shrift in the primary codex.

Secondly, the quality of this product is surprising. Forget the rules and utilitarian benefits for now: simply read the extensive and elaborate background provided for the legion itself and its guiding darkness: Abaddon the Despoiler. This is the most incisive, unambiguous examination of any of the Traitor Legions provided outside the likes of the HH novels. The legion's background is developed beautifully, lending the former Sons of Horus rich and flavoursome character, along with a sense of impetus and dynamism that i imagine few of the Traitor Legions can equal. Having read and re-read the background section, I would've paid the askiing price for that alone. Whether or not you would have done the same depends on what you're looking for: if you're looking for something that fixes the severe bugs and glitches within our core codex, look elsewhere; you will not find it here. What you will find

is background that will likely inspire you to start collecting a Black Legion force (or one of its many splinters) regardless, since it is beautifully written and highly evocative.

Thirdly: Abaddon. Abba-dabby-doo-dah-don. The Despoiler, no less: He of the Fearsome Top Knot, Our Tiny Terminator Armoured Messiah of All that is Dark and Wriggly. This supplement could have easily been entitled Codex: Abbadon. This is his story, lendiing the character so much more than he has been given in any previous background material. His entire history and the agendas that impel him are laid out here in stark detail, along with a number of the myths and stories that he trails throughout the Eye of Terror and beyond. He cuts a truly inspiring figure here; the twisted equivalent of Marneus Calgar and his ilk, commanding as much sincere respect as he does mindless, quailing terror (not that the latter is in short supply in the Despoiler's camp). Wonderful stuff.

Fourthly: The rules. Meh. A couple of bits and pieces; Chosen as troops (potentially useful in the right hands, though prohibitive in terms of cost; it allows one to produce a genuinely elite force of ancient and well equipped traitor legionaries, but can be difficult to wield), some interesting war lord traits and artefacts. Nothing game changing or sufficient to fix some of the major problems in the core codex. What it does provide above anything else is the ability to ally with Codex: Chaos Space Marine forces, which may be the single biggest boon, since the use of two force org charts provides some interesting potential combinations. Not terrible by any means; could have been much more extensive. It would have been nice seeing something that reflects the Black Legion's penchant for daemonic possession; something reflective of their "spear tip" modus operandi (allowing Terminators and deep striking ubnits to precision strike or assault directly out of deep striking would have worked quite well), but blah: I'm pleased that the supplement happened at all.

Overall: A surprisingly decent effort; good writing, excellent background (one of the few "official" bits of GW background I've felt inspired to read over multiple times in recent years), interesting rules additions. Recommended.

We kinda talked about this a lot already.  The general consensus is that the fluff is pretty awesome for Abaddon fans (though slightly disappointing for anyone hoping to get some insight into other Black Legion personalities), but the rules somewhat lackluster, particularly when it comes to representing the fluff they come with.  Ie: terminator teleport assaults are terrible without homing baecons, and forcing terminators to buy overpriced vet upgrades, or letting abby's personal retinue spend even more points on their own upgrade, only further discourages what in the fluff is an iconic tactic; forced vet upgrades and troop chosen encourages an extremely small, elite sort of army which is exactly the opposite of the BL fluff as the largest chaos marine force willing to let anyone who will swear loyalty join; etc.  The new artifacts have some nice options, but are hardly awe inspiring.

The main reason to pay attention to the book as far as rules go is the ability for CSMs to basically ally with themselves, which can free up a lot of pressure in our otherwise overcrowded Fast and heavy slots.  For instance, you could run two squads of havocs and two pairs of oblits, or two drakes and two squads of bikes or spawn (but probably not both, at least not without hitting double force orgs at 2k points, after which it doesn't matter).  Then again, a lot of CSM players who bother with ally slots at all are already happy with the support guard give to shooty lists, or daemons to assaulty lists, so self allying isn't that big a deal, either.  Not really.

As a fan of Abaddon, I love this book.  The fluff goes a long way towards making him a real badass with a long term plan, not just a tool of the gods doomed to always fail because chaos perpetually betrays him with its inherent infighting.  Even the write up ADB provided from his fluff archive, cool as it was, was still a picture of failbaddon - where each crusade was a separate genuine stab at Terra that failed due to his inability to maintain discipline in his forces.  The Black Legion supplement gives us an Abaddon who understands the inherent flaws of chaos, and plays the powers against one another rather than simply being played himself, and gives us a series of Black Crusades that fit together as part of an overall plan, rather than each being an isolated failure.

I mean, sure, some of the crusades are still failures - like that time his fleet got blown off course and he attacked the first planet he came across, only to get his tail handed to him by the orks that were already attacking that planet, but come on, cut him some slack.  Every faction has a 'that one time I got horribly embarrassed by orks' story.  Heck, the Orks' background consists of nothing but such stories.  But the point is, the crusades as a whole are part of a larger overall plan, rather than isolated surges doomed to inevitable fail just as they start picking up steam, which is what the previous fluff, and even ADB's cool bit of archive stuff, gives us.

Anyway, yeah, as an Abaddon fan I love this supplement, and as a Black Legion player, I'll run my primary detachments out of it as a mark of personal pride alone, regardless of my feelings about vets upgrades and all that jazz.  But all that said, it remains probably the least impressive and least influential of the three supplement books we've seen so far, and if you aren't a Black Legion player or a fan of the Despoiler, you really can just ignore it entirely and move on with business as usual.  the Black Legion supplement is not a game changer, not for chaos players and not for anyone else.

As a fan of Abaddon, I love this book.  The fluff goes a long way towards making him a real badass with a long term plan, not just a tool of the gods doomed to always fail because chaos perpetually betrays him with its inherent infighting.  Even the write up ADB provided from his fluff archive, cool as it was, was still a picture of failbaddon - where each crusade was a separate genuine stab at Terra that failed due to his inability to maintain discipline in his forces.  The Black Legion supplement gives us an Abaddon who understands the inherent flaws of chaos, and plays the powers against one another rather than simply being played himself, and gives us a series of Black Crusades that fit together as part of an overall plan, rather than each being an isolated failure.

You're kidding, right? My main contribution to this supplement was repeated notes saying "This isn't a Black Crusade" and "Make it much, much bigger" and "This looks like yet another defeat, when it should be a victory". The tone was... certainly different. If they'd not edited it, it would have torpedoed the novel series and reinforced every one of Abaddon's current stereotypes.

There's nothing on my blog that says any Black Crusades were genuine stabs at Terra at all, because that's exactly what I spend almost all my online time arguing against, when it comes to Abaddon. I'd never, ever, ever say such a thing about the Black Crusades. I suspect even a cursory search on all my comments here will make it 100% clear where I stand on that.

I'm quite literally stunned, right now.

You're kidding, right? My main contribution to this supplement was repeated notes saying "This isn't a Black Crusade" and "Make it much, much bigger" and "This looks like yet another defeat, when it should be a victory". The tone was... certainly different.

There's nothing on my blog that says any Black Crusades were genuine stabs at Terra at all, because that's exactly what I spend almost all my online time arguing against, when it comes to Abaddon. I'd never, ever, ever say such a thing about the Black Crusades. I suspect even a cursory search on all my comments here will make it 100% clear where I stand on that.

If your interpretation of Abaddon reflects what's going on in this supplement, I honestly can't wait. Considering that your books on the Word Bearers managed to totally transform my opinion of them and their primarch (from one of absolute and total loathing to one of empathy and understanding), I'm fascinated to see what you make of the Warmaster.

You're kidding, right? My main contribution to this supplement was repeated notes saying "This isn't a Black Crusade" and "Make it much, much bigger" and "This looks like yet another defeat, when it should be a victory". The tone was... certainly different.

If your interpretation of Abaddon reflects what's going on in this supplement, I honestly can't wait. Considering that your books on the Word Bearers managed to totally transform my opinion of them and their primarch (from one of absolute and total loathing to one of empathy and understanding), I'm fascinated to see what you make of the Warmaster.

There'll be differences, like in any IP work, but seeing as my contribution to the Black Legion supplement was almost entirely feedback asking them to rephrase potentially worrisome text about Abaddon's competence, and make the Black Crusades much larger in scale, I think there's a fairly safe bet. As usual, there's a world of stuff I can't talk about in regards to production, natch. 

In terms of author focus, I started the novel with a full synopsis long before this codex was even conceived, was writing the first novel while it was being written, am still writing the novel now it's published, and there's a chance the series will go on for several editions, and several versions of any Black Legion supplements. This supplement was written with the first novel's synopsis on board, and while I take zero credit for the content of the supplement itself, there were edits to make things comply with the novels, while Abaddon and the Black Crusades were somewhat... less successful, and smaller-scale... before my feedback.

Bear in mind that Games Workshop doesn't want rock stars; they don't like any authors putting themselves 'above' the IP, whether actually doing it or even looking like they are. But I don't think it's unfair to explain that, yeah, I had a look-in or three in regards to this particular supplement's tone and events. It was a cooperative process, going both ways. I'll do the same, and try to include some of this supplement's stuff later down the line. Several things I'm dead keen to include, actually... Ahem.

GW has changed a lot. There's no mythical notion of obeying the Studio. There's no such thing as "the Studio". It's all Publishing. Admittedly, no one else has the exact same research archive, and mine is liquid freaking awesome, including a huuuuge haul of emails and discussions from other IP folks, rather than just the published lore, but we're all on the same team. 

I must admit, this supplement makes me want to convert an Abaddon. It's taken me from loathing him to actually liking him. I'm looking forward to A D-B's interpretation!

Also, it's made me actually look at the Black Legion as something other than a monochrome black and silver/gold version of the Ultras- the warbands are a cool idea in my humble opinion.

You're kidding, right? My main contribution to this supplement was repeated notes saying "This isn't a Black Crusade" and "Make it much, much bigger" and "This looks like yet another defeat, when it should be a victory". The tone was... certainly different. If they'd not edited it, it would have torpedoed the novel series and reinforced every one of Abaddon's current stereotypes.

I was unclear, I apologize. I was speaking specifically about the blog post from the archive that you posted on your blog a bit ago, not about anything you personally contributed to the supplement itself, nor about the book series you're writing.

I didn't mean to imply that it was your personal take, just that that was the picture painted by the one archive bit on Abaddon you posted a bit ago. Maybe that's not how you saw it, but I'll quote some bits of it to explain how I got that impression

Whenever Abaddon has been on the brink of victory his backers break ranks, seeking to gain some last-minute short-term advantage.

This bit specifically, and the paragraph leading up to it, states overtly that Abaddon's campaigns haven't resulted in victories, that whenever he's about to accomplish something, the chaos powers sabotage him with their infighting.  Maybe the crusades weren't genuine stabs at Terra, but whatever they were supposed to be, they didn't result in 'victories' according to this bit of Archive fluff, because whenever Abaddon has been on the brink of victory, of achieving whatever goal he had set out to accomplish, the forces of chaos subvert him with infighting. Every time.

This is completely at odds with the Supplement version of Abaddon, whose campaigns have all had specific goals, most of which were successfully accomplished.

And then later:

His enemies circle, material and immaterial, sensing potential weakness. His allies start to disappear. For a while the Chaos Powers are disinterested, choosing to split, becoming self-serving once more, raising up their champions, sometimes alone, sometimes together, hoping that these mortals will rival Abaddon. Yet they never do.

And he wonders if it is vanity. He wonders if he is deserving. He wonders if what he wants is possible.

And then the Powers come back, trying once more to win him to their cause, taunting, threatening, cajoling and coercing Abaddon to become theirs and theirs alone. And he listens, and he wonders. And always, from somewhere deep in his soul, from the darkest yet strongest place in his mind, the answer comes back, hesitant but growing louder with every beat of his twin hearts.

Yes.

Yes, one day it will all be yours.

And he starts the struggle again.

This doesn't paint a picture of an Abaddon with a single, consistent, overarching plan. This is a picture of an Abaddon who is built up and let down by the chaos powers in an endless cycle. The chaos powers whisper promises, Abaddon rises up, he's about to achieve victory, then the infighting starts and everything falls apart. Abaddon is left brooding and weak until the next time when everything starts all over again. A struggle that starts over again with each cycle. 

Supplement Abaddon is very different from Archive Abaddon, or at least from the impression of Abaddon I get from the archive write up. Yes, he has his moment of doubt after the heresy, but then he goes on his great walkabout in the Eye, and when he comes back he's a man with a plan, and that plan and the iron will behind it don't falter after that.  Supplement Abaddon's struggle never 'starts again' because it has never been stopped to begin with.

Rather than having his fate dictated by the ebb and flow of the chaos powers, Supplement Abaddon takes fate into his own hands, collecting diviners, dominating daemon princes who possess knowledge of the future, seeking out prophecies that he can take control of or, if they can't serve his purposes, undermine so they never come to pass. Supplement Abaddon feels like a sincere threat. The weight of inevitability is on his side because he has specifically gone out to grasp it. Archive Abaddon has the wight of inevitability against him - he can never win because his own patrons will always, always undermine him at the last moment. Supplement Abaddon feels almost impossible to stop. Archive Abaddon feels like the chaos powers will always stop him themselves, he might raze a few worlds, but by the very nature of Chaos the Imperium doesn't really have anything to fear from him long term.

Again, this is just the impression I got from the archive fluff bit, not from anything you actually wrote yourself, and I didn't at all mean to imply that it was 'your' Abaddon. If I did imply that, it was my own error in communication, and I apologize.

The supplement did something that the codex failed to do: Give the faction some teeth in the fluff. The rules are minor I admit, and do very very little to change things, however my new favorite HQ is a Jumper Lord, Spineshiver, Skull, MoT, Sigil, Vets, and its pretty fun. :p

I have every faith in you ADB, and the fact the supplement was bounced off your feedback, actually seems obvious to me and is the most promising development since I saw you in the contributors list for the FW Heresy book.

If the Codex's where written by you, or with the same care and attention, the world would indeed be a better place.

If you have money to burn, or enjoy CSM and/or Black Legion enough, I would still recommend this supplement, on the background alone, and any rules tweak or update is a boon, no matter how small.

I plan on buying the physical book once it comes out. The Hounds of Abaddon seem like a perfect springboard into a unit of Khornate bikers using these FW berzerker parts I have lying around.

Hmmm... maybe the right thing to do would be to take one of the new shaved head and bearded space marine stern guard heads, and convert an AD-Baddon to use as a counts as Abaddon :)

Archive Abaddon has the wight of inevitability against him - he can never win because his own patrons will always, always undermine him at the last moment. Supplement Abaddon feels almost impossible to stop. Archive Abaddon feels like the chaos powers will always stop him themselves, he might raze a few worlds, but by the very nature of Chaos the Imperium doesn't really have anything to fear from him long term.

Bear in mind that you're reading a few paragraphs of the largest Chaos/Black Legion/Abaddon archive I think currently exists, all from various authors, but even then your quote from it feels out of context compared with everything else in the text I posted. There's a reason so many people have responded like wildfire to it, and it's not because it's more stuff about "Failbaddon". Quite the opposite, if you read all the feedback.

This feels doubly true to me because most of what you're citing as positive changes - like the fact Abaddon goes on his pilgrimage in the Eye after the Heresy, after his moment of doubt - is also something I came up with, both in the short story 'Extinction' in last year's GDUK anthology, and the synopsis itself. It was an event I asked them to include in the supplement.

I get where you're coming from, but I reckon you can likely see where I'm coming from too.

Is there any word on the Iron Warriors supplement, or is the Black Legion the only one on the radar right now?

I'd buy it, just for the fluff.

Me too.

Sadly, the only thing I heard about in the last weeks were Chaos supplements for the God-aligned traitor legions which would combine CSM and daemon forces. But even that seemed to be quite some time away, if you take it that they're really doing them.

Archive Abaddon has the wight of inevitability against him - he can never win because his own patrons will always, always undermine him at the last moment. Supplement Abaddon feels almost impossible to stop. Archive Abaddon feels like the chaos powers will always stop him themselves, he might raze a few worlds, but by the very nature of Chaos the Imperium doesn't really have anything to fear from him long term.

Bear in mind that you're reading a few paragraphs of the largest Chaos/Black Legion/Abaddon archive I think currently exists, all from various authors, but even then your quote from it feels out of context compared with everything else in the text I posted. There's a reason so many people have responded like wildfire to it, and it's not because it's more stuff about "Failbaddon". Quite the opposite, if you read all the feedback.

This feels doubly true to me because most of what you're citing as positive changes - like the fact Abaddon goes on his pilgrimage in the Eye after the Heresy, after his moment of doubt - is also something I came up with, both in the short story 'Extinction' in last year's GDUK anthology, and the synopsis itself. It was an event I asked them to include in the supplement.

I get where you're coming from, but I reckon you can likely see where I'm coming from too.

Again, I was not trying to imply that what i wrote about applied to your version of Abaddon.  As far as I was aware, you hadn't written the quoted bit, just posted it from an archive you had gathered, and in that sense it was out of context to begin with.  Yes, people responded positively to this bit of fluff, but in my mind that reaction was more because the fluff itself was remarkably well written, rather than because it presented any sort of major departure from the Abaddon we had previously been familiar with.  It presented the story of an "Abaddon who rises in power only to inevitably fail at the last minute over and over again" in a really cool way, but that was still the version of Abaddon it seemed to be describing to me.  If that wasn't the Abaddon it described to anyone else, all the better.

Regardless of our apparently conflicting interpretations of what version of Abaddon those few paragraphs described, I do want to state that we seem to be of the same mind, or at least of very similar minds, when it comes to the version of Abaddon we want to see in ascendancy going forward.  I'm very pleased with the Abaddon we get in the Supplement book, and any contributions to that book that you made are as such fantastic as far as I'm concerned, and I remain super excited to start reading your Abaddon series when the first book hits shelves next year.

I would really wait for an faq before getting carried away with multiple artefact character builds. The interpretation that you can take multiple artefacts is rather iffy, and I've experienced considerable table variation.

Fair point as I look at it again. I believe the intent was each weapon is unique, not 'pick one artifact for your army', but fair point all the same.

I don't think the Gods want him to fail. If he wins , they spill over to this world and get more poweful then they ever were. What does fail him is the followers of different gods . That fact that even he can only keep the happy chaos family [this time used not as an insult] as one force. He can force them to do stuff for a short time , but soon he  ends ups with Tyfus doing Tyfus stuff , Ahriman stuck in the web way , and while those action may [in a short term] buff up the warlords or even the  gods , in the end it is less then what abadon could hope for .

People say that whole"horus was a fool ..." thing only shows how abadon ended up loathing his "father". But there is more to it . The new ADB book shows this realy well . Abadon knows that Horus was better them him , that he could do stuff he will never be able to do [control the other legions , unite them and keep them on a leash for much longer] . This is not just a simple "father was stupit" , this is a more tragic "he could have realy won , make everything much better" . He changes the legion in to the black legion , not only to cut himself off from the sons of horus . He cuts himself of from a dream , he isn't able to support. Abadon knows he is no Horus. And unlike erebus or tyfus , who viewed their "fathers" as fools , Abadon realy thought that what Horus was doing was a good thing .

The thing that really surprised me about the Abaddon text was his motivation. I always thought he just wanted to burn the Imperium down, but in fact it looks like he wants to succeed the Emperor as Master of Mankind. What I'm wondering is, what comes after? Let's say he's taken Sol, burned down the Golden Throne and pissed on the Emperor's corpse. How does he intend to consolidate control over the rest of the Imperium (Even after Terra is gone, there will still be plenty of Imperial strongholds all over the galaxy, like Ultramar or the various Segmentum Commands), and prevent it from being destroyed by assorted Orks/Necrons/Tyranids/everything else now that the Astronomican is down and central command is shattered? How will he rule, what are his policies, is he doing this just to boost his own ego or because he genuinely thinks his rule will be beneficial for the species, etc? Basically, this trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndThenWhat (Don't click on that link!)

I'd really love to hear Mr. Dembski-Bowden's thoughts on the matter, except he apparently becomes homicidal if someone adresses him by his surname. :P

If abadon wins , he sacrifices most of the human population in existance and what is left is marked. The following onslaught pumps the chaos gods up so much that the warp spills over in to real space like it never did before . Demons walk space as if it was Warp . Even more onslaught. the fall of eldar , necron and all other races. Everything that is not chaos is dead or enslaved . And then it peaks over. The demons , unlike human follower ,do not stop harvesting and suddenly there isn't enough emotions to keep them in real space . the chaos gods get realy weak and the warp calms.

Hehe, at least in fluff our victory is inevitable, Chaos will rule the galaxy and we will be its kings and masters. Yes, I almost cherish the grinder that it is Cadia for much is happening there. The more we kill and even if we die the Chaos Gods will still win and Chaos will spill out from the Eye of Terror.

Still by now those interested in the Black Legion fluff have already read it so what we are left with is 30 Eur for some very mediocre rules, and though I love the Black Legion and the Chaos Space Marines in general I am not willing to part from my money for this book. It has little value for me since it does not help my army much. For those Eur one can buy a squad of Plague Marines which IMO is a way better investment in the long turn. 

Well not realy . Necron can blow up every planet and sun in the whole sector .Which would kill all life not in the web way at the time . That would calm the warp too. Nids eating everything can happen to . Nids and Necron are the only two faction in the game that have already won in god level conflicts.

Well for me the thing is - the Chaos gods always somehow trick Abaddon in the last moment because they need humanking and, more or less, the Imperium. Khorne needs fresh skulls, Nurgle - fresh victims to his plagues etc. adding up the lesser Chaod deities. In the long distance run - Chaos has already won.

while Abaddon and the Black Crusades were somewhat... less successful, and smaller-scale... before my feedback.

Yeah. Can't say I'm surprised, you know.

I wonder why GW always fed the whole "failbaddon" retarded thingy by trying (knowingly or not) to reduce Abaddon's accomplishments to minor pirate stuff, plain defeats that are overall inconsequential to the state of the imperium.

I also feel there's a scale issue, even in the supplement. I mean, the Black Legion, once it's united in a Black Crusade or something, might be the biggest and meanest cohesive force of the Galaxy. Chapters must fear and avoid them like crazy, you know. What is a Chapter once it's put in perspective with the might of the whole Black Legion ?

Archived