Surrender_Monkey

I started this thread a couple of months ago, but it was lost in the great forum blackout. With the new codex just out, I figured I'd ask it again. As a Crimson Fist player, I am pretty sure I want at least one squad of Sternguard, I am building two 10 man squads (one Crimson Fists, one Deathwatch) and a Drop Pod, so I have the bodies covered, but I'm not sure how to equip them.

The principal question is: How many combi weapons?

The secondary question is: What kind of combi weapon? All the same or mix?

The tertiary question is: Should I take anything else? PF for the sergeant? special weapons? Heavy Flamer?

I am planning to magnetise everyone, but if I want to go for ten combi weapons I'm going to have to go about converting some.

My thoughts so far:

Combi-Flamers: Probably leave them, I have the special ammo for flushing things out of cover, could be useful if you're expecting to get assaulted, but in the current meta that's quite rare.

Combi-Meltas: Useful for some armies, but with Fists Traits I have tank hunting Devestators, so I'll leave them for now.

So it's a toss up between plasma and grav. I'm leaning towards grav right now because I can avoid gets hot for at least one turn, but I'm still not sure if I should go for a couple or ten (very expensive), plus there's the question of heavy flamer (I think yes), special weapons (leaning towards no) and sergrant (he's a Crimson Fist, so he's got to have a power fist).

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the matter.

As a fellow crimson fists player (who knew) lol

I've been looking over at the sterngaurd and I'm tempted to just add in a heavy flamer and 2/3 combis as I'm going to rely on our cheap devs that do that +1 damage to tanks etc. so I'm looking at using my sterngaurd as infantry killers (as they should be) instead of hunting tanks.

In all honesty I cannot see there being too much difference in equipping them from last edition. I have a tactica in my sig, the only things I would add now would be the viability of combi-gravs, and to not go overboard on combi weapons as they've now doubled in price.

I personally would either take 3 combi-meltas, or 2 combi-meltas and 2 of another combi. Heavy flamer will depend on preference and meta, although I'd only take one.

Combi-meltas are always a good choice, as otherwise Sternguard have no other ways to deal with tanks beyond grenades. Combi-plasma are and OK choice. Sternguard are quite good against MEQ, and aren't bad against TEQ. Combi-plasmas make them better against both, although I'd focus more on combi-meltas first. Combi-gravs look like they'll do a similar thing to combi-plasma. It's unlikely your'll get the 3 shots with it, and its likely you'll be rapid firing the combi-plasmas. In this instance, I'd pass them up. Combi-flamers don't do much new. They're great against infantry, which Sternguard are good against. They just hit more. They ignore cover, which dragonfire does. But they are better in overwatch. Whether they're good enough for their points will remain to be seen. However, now that they're the same points as a heavy flamer, I'd always pick the heavy flamer. You lose special ammo, but you'll hit loads of people, and will have a good chance of wounding them.

Talking about other special weapons, you could take a couple of meltaguns, which would be good for making them into a tank buster unit. I wouldn't swap out special ammo for anything other than a meltagun or heavy flamer.

With the Sergeant, stick with stock or combi, don't take any combat weapons. They're not worth it, and don't fit with the Sternguard's primary role.

Sadly after going through the dex it appears the sarge can't take a combi! I read it a couple of times to he sure. I've been putting a new sternguard squad tonight and decided to give sarge a pistol to go with his bolter. There's no point putting a cw on a sternguard. Of they're fighting you've done it wrong or been very unlucky, either way one power weapon won't do much more than the veteran stat line. I'm undecided on grav or plasma though.

For the regular vets I've gone back to my old classic, 2xcombi melta 2xcombi plas. Although I haven't glued the guns yet do might take done grav. Too early to know how they'll stand up.

The bod thing that makes me lean towards plasma is its use over more armour save types.

P170, sternguard entry: "ANY model" which is a relief as you had me panicking!

I like 3 combi meltas, because with 2 I normally miss both. Flamers are cool, but I don't find uses for them in a competitive environment, either variety. Gravs I think should be reserved for bikers (especially Command bikers if they get their special weapons back) and centurions. Sterguard have enough tools to deal with Monsterous Creatures and Terminators with combi plasma and helfire, so I really cant see their use.

The most useful would have to be combi melta, but if you can keep them out of that situation/are already saturated with melta and anti vehicle then you can throw plasma on there with no worries. 

ZP

Although the boltgun plasma pistol combo could do quite well. I might test it, it is five points more but he keeps his special ammo and has the 12 inch plasma shot.

Any thoughts?

Sternguard don't tend to last long in my experience... might be better off making use of two shots in one turn.

Not at all, but if you're taking 2 x 5 man units it makes sense to merge into 1 unit to save on the Vet Sarge tax and an extra transport. Just don't expect a 5 man unit to survive many games.

Good point, but I was thinking more of a 5 man squad in smaller games, then getting larger as games grow.

I'm planning on using them as MC hunters, so I'm contemplating the combi-grav for things like the Riptide or Wraithnight. I think with the rough math hammer on a riptide a 10 man sternguard using hellfire rounds causes roughly two unsaved wounds, whereas the grav guns wound on twos and are AP2. Add in the fact that grav rounds also immobilize and they could be a very useful boost in hunting MCs.

Not really useful if you plan to suicide the squad, but I tend to use them in Rhinos or pod them in behind cover to take advantage after my Anti-tank units crack open the transports.

10 Sterns, 5 combimelta, 5 combiplasma, drop pod. This unit can pop a landraider and maim its contents via combat squading or kill two vehicles from melta or plasma to rear armour. I always get first blood and they always make back their points. They usually die because my opponent usually panics and has a "FIRE EVERYTHING [AT THE STERNGUARD]!" moment, then the rest of my army arrives and it's too late. I love how effective they are. So far since I got them, every game they've done well. Sometimes I give the Sarg a Lightning claw if I have some points left over, but generally not.

It's also 50pts more than a similarly equipped unit was a week ago. Not quite points efficient IMO.

WHen they score first blood, slay the warlord and make back their points in one turn they can be. It's about how you use them. SOmetimes you get unlucky but it is a dice game after all.

If you are going to combat squad them then I would do a half and half split of combi weapons. Set one up to kill tanks or big critters, set the other up to drop as many flame templates on a unit as (post) humanly possible. Not many things can take 5 flame templates and shrug it off.

Also this may seem like a silly question but can sternguard use normal bolter rounds? I ask because as an imperial fist player it could be useful if you say land on the same side of an aegis defense line as a low armor save unit like guard or gaunts where they would effectively be ballistic skill 4.5

If you are going to combat squad them then I would do a half and half split of combi weapons. Set one up to kill tanks or big critters, set the other up to drop as many flame templates on a unit as (post) humanly possible. Not many things can take 5 flame templates and shrug it off.

Also this may seem like a silly question but can sternguard use normal bolter rounds? I ask because as an imperial fist player it could be useful if you say land on the same side of an aegis defense line as a low armor save unit like guard or gaunts where they would effectively be ballistic skill 4.5

They can use the regular ammo, the special ammo rule says "In addition to the normal profile for their boltgun..." 5 combiflamers does sound pretty good too

I'm surprised by the love for combi flamers, with the ignore cover ammo and the option of a pair of heavy flamers, do you really need the flamer shot?

I keep on saying this, people never listen. ;)

I'm surprised by the love for combi flamers, with the ignore cover ammo and the option of a pair of heavy flamers, do you really need the flamer shot?

I keep on saying this, people never listen. ;)

Glad I'm on the right track then!

Combi choice for me is filling in the gaps, and the biggest gap is tank busting. After that it's probably 2+ save.

For the rest, special ammo works just fine.

Its for specifically alpha striking out of drop pods. Instead of 1-2 hits of S4 AP5 you get a whole templates worth for each marine. That could be upwards of 3-5 hits per marine. If you have 10 thats upwards of 50 wounds generated instantly depending on the situation. Which is pretty good.

Archived