Surrender_Monkey

I'm surprised by the love for combi flamers, with the ignore cover ammo and the option of a pair of heavy flamers, do you really need the flamer shot?

Its for specifically alpha striking out of drop pods. Instead of 1-2 hits of S4 AP5 you get a whole templates worth for each marine. That could be upwards of 3-5 hits per marine. If you have 10 thats upwards of 50 wounds generated instantly depending on the situation. Which is pretty good.

I get that it's a fairly absurd amount of wounds you're generating, I guess my question now is what are you planning on targetting that needs to be hit with that many templates?

10 hits per template implies a mass horde, so maybe you're worried about IG blobs or 20 (wo)man squads of daemonettes.

I'm surprised by the love for combi flamers, with the ignore cover ammo and the option of a pair of heavy flamers, do you really need the flamer shot?

Its for specifically alpha striking out of drop pods. Instead of 1-2 hits of S4 AP5 you get a whole templates worth for each marine. That could be upwards of 3-5 hits per marine. If you have 10 thats upwards of 50 wounds generated instantly depending on the situation. Which is pretty good.

I get that it's a fairly absurd amount of wounds you're generating, I guess my question now is what are you planning on targetting that needs to be hit with that many templates?

10 hits per template implies a mass horde, so maybe you're worried about IG blobs or 20 (wo)man squads of daemonettes.

Not 10 hits per template around 4 per template and you have 10 guys, so around 40 in all. 10 hits for 10 guys would be 100 hits ha. 40 hits on just about any infantry unit is deadly. It can clear out a quadgun emplacement or and objective pretty effetively.

I personally don't think a combi-flamer in a Sternguard squad is worth it. Combi-gravs also seem a bit meh, unless your Meta is seriously MC heavy. A 9" range and 2 shots is not great for a one use weapon. Meltas open tanks, and plasmas punch through high armour and toughness, which are the two things Sternguard can't already deal with.

I would also give them a heavy flamer. Handy all around for clearing objectives (if they live that long) and of course the nice wall of flame in case you get charged. Not a lot, but it's something.

In bigger games I'd use em at full strength with 4 meltas, 5 plasmas and 1 heavy flamer. That unit has a good chance to explode a landraider and melt the terminators inside. At 1500 points, its 2 combi meltas, 2 combi plasmas and 1 heavy flamer and a drop pod. Avoiding MCs like the plague.

Archived