chapter master builds

Lord Kallozar

so I have just discovered that (annoyingly) that my doom eagles cannot take a counts as korvydae due to the new chapter traits system.

so im looking to rethink my HQ and thinking of a chapter master. but I want the chapter master to be equipped with a jump pack to fit in with my doom eagles theme.

so any help on a solid jump pack assault orientated chapter master? all help will be most appreciated guys.

I'll go for the obvious with what I'm doing then:

CM on bike with burning blade. Maybe a combi-grav or grav pistol as well, not sure yet. And there's always the temptation to add digital weapons, but will probably refrain. You end up with a CC monster that also zooms about on his 'hog and can drop a surprise Orbital Bombardment on things.

I actually intend on allying in some Black Knights and having him lead them (battle brothers FTW). Stasis and rad grenades will be filthy with the 5 Burning Blade attacks, I feel.

I think I'm going to try the ToT and power fist combo. Expensive but deadly and can deal with anything though I don't know if I'll have him lead my honour guard or in a drop pod with 9 tactical marines with grav weapons. Then have tigurius lead the HG in a land raider redeemer :)

I think artificer, Shield Eternal, and Burning Blade will be the standard for chapter masters, because if they're paying extra for the master they're either going to be going honour guards or they want a relic'd out beatstick. Bikes or on foot/riding a transport will probably be how most people run him but I'm giving him a jump pack.

Mine will be "cheap" and have a Storm Shield, Artificer Armour and a Relic Blade. Maybe the Teeth of Terra but then that requires a new model!

Alternatively I'd go power axe and maul.

But then I'm an Ultramarines player so if I'm going to get too expensive I may as well go large and take Calgar!

Not trying to get crushed for introducing a Captain build, but I like the sound of:

Terminator Captain, Chainfist, Lightning Claw: 145pts

2+/4++ with 4 Attacks that can choose to kill troops or punch tanks/heavy infantry. Really flexible and doesn't break the bank at all--- I think it is very efficient for its points.

Funny though, Chapter Master with Terminator Armor, Chainfist and Lightning Claw is 195pts, so basically 50pts gets you a Wound, an Attack and an Orbital Bombardment

I think the Eternal Warrior T5 S6 beatstick is going to be the common one, with the abusive gav+bike combo slamming into things like wraithknights and greater deamons. 

I am still really happy that they made an awesome chainsword and boltgun. I love it when the items they rave about in the fluff finally exist to justify their veneration.

ZP

Now the next question is can a CM fire hs Orbital Bombardment afte rhe moves. It says "counts asfiring a ranged weapon with the profile below" and it is ordnance. Though the "counts as firing a ranged weapon with the profile below" makes me think it is supposed to be along the lines in lieu of shooting he calls it down regardless of movement.

This is a common confusion caused in part from the misunderstanding the rumour mongers had interpreting their leaks. It hasn't changed at all since the last edition; you can use it and then charge the unit you targeted.

It's an Ordnance weapon so you can only use it if you move and are Relentless.

Best use is early game to readdress the balance if you're faced with camped up cheese.

I plan on casting Prescience and Perfect Timing on him from Tigurius when I use it too...

Captain Idaho, on 11 Sept 2013 - 03:00, said:

This is a common confusion caused in part from the misunderstanding the rumour mongers had interpreting their leaks. It hasn't changed at all since the last edition; you can use it and then charge the unit you targeted.

The rules for orbital bombardment have changed in one important way. Now if he is relentless he can move and shoot. Last edition he couldn't.

My super build for the chapter master would be:

artificer armor

space marine bike

the shield eternal

whatever CCW strikes your fancy

iron hands chapter traits

T5, 4W, 2+/3++, 6+ FNP, it will not die, eternal warrior

Only something as ridiculous as 6 centurion devastators with graviton cannons firing their full salvo at him could reliably bring this guy down.

My build feels pretty budget compared to what some of you are proposing! Not that over 200 points is a small amount...

That being said, mine's not being used to represent an actual Chapter Master, so that might be some of it.

EDIT: And yes, Relentless now allows for Ordnance to be fired on the move, so he's good to go with a bike.

If I use my own chapter master I'll probably run an expensive version with the Shield Eternal and Teeth of Terra. Use him in a small squad to make use of the rampage, and to soak wounds for the rest of the squad. Its expensive but heck its almost a guarantee to make the points back between the orbital bombardment and his CC beastly-ness. 

Captain Idaho, on 11 Sept 2013 - 03:00, said:

The rules for orbital bombardment have changed in one important way. Now if he is relentless he can move and shoot. Last edition he couldn't.

My super build for the chapter master would be:

artificer armor

space marine bike

the shield eternal

whatever CCW strikes your fancy

iron hands chapter traits

T5, 4W, 2+/3++, 6+ FNP, it will not die, eternal warrior

Only something as ridiculous as 6 centurion devastators with graviton cannons firing their full salvo at him could reliably bring this guy down.

Sorry I meant from the perspective of firing and then assaulting.

Anyway that is one tough Chapter Master!

brilliant chapter masters although they are really expensive! what about a jump pack chapter master loadout?

on another note, there have been quite a few suggestions about having the burning blade and shield eternal together..... sounds amazing BUT unfortunately im pretty sure your only allowed one of the chapter relics per army?? 

brilliant chapter masters although they are really expensive! what about a jump pack chapter master loadout?

on another note, there have been quite a few suggestions about having the burning blade and shield eternal together..... sounds amazing BUT unfortunately im pretty sure your only allowed one of the chapter relics per army?? 

This has been a point of contention since C:CSM dropped and reintroduced the armory section.

The rule for swapping to relics changes depending on how you read it.  Either you can take one and only one relic, or you can swap just one weapon for one relic.  Frankly, I'm in the "take however many you want" group because they're so ridiculously expensive (the really good ones, anyway) that you're looking at 250-300 points per model if you start stacking relics.

This is mine:

- Artificer Armor

- Jump Pack

- The Burning Blade

- The Shield Eternal

He is extremely expensive but he gets Infiltrate from Shrike and benefits from the jump pack Raven Guard tactics. Chapter Master is already extremely expensive base and you're going to want at least artificer and a storm shield which already bumps his price up a lot. The jump pack is another bump for the same points. Then you have an incredibly beefy master, but he's using a chainsword...so the rest of the points are whatever weapon you choose. Even just a artificer, storm shield, thunder hammer/powerfist/relic blade master with a jump pack and zero relics is incredibly expensive.

You can take him bare bones with minimum wargear but then what good is he other than a multi-wound terminator with no weapons?

I believe Lysander remains the undisputed king of the codex for brawling and challenges, and is always cheaper and better than similarly equipped chapter masters.

Archived