Leigon of the damned

War Angel

All bolters have the left hand molded to the stock and the right hand up to the elbow. Since they all have slings, this makes it exceedingly difficult for weapon swaps. Pick models that have the hand/arm entirely free for the best swaps. Some arms are attached to the shoulder pad too, so that makes for an easy heavy weapons swap, provided you do the old-school heavies that only need one hand.

All my LotD are metal, from back in 2nd Ed when we could run an entire army of them (which I did). Going to be interesting to use them as actual LotD for the time in over a decade, even if its just one squad. Unfortunately, my heavy weapons are missiles and heavy bolters, while my specials are meltaguns and flamers. Re-modeling 20 year old models to the current meta will be an challenging project, for sure.

SJ

Would it be hard to swap one Bolter for a Plasma Gun?

No, there are several variants that are really easy to switch. At worst, you'll have to transplant a hand from a plastic arm to the resin one, or clip a weapon away without damaging the hand holding it so you have something to stick the plasma gun to. I'm fairly sure only two variants have straps, and a couple are aiming their bolters single-handed.

It's not as simple as gluing the plastic gun on instead of the resin one - none of the joins are the same as the new or old plastic Space Marines - but as conversions go it's really basic stuff.

I use mine as anti-infantry. Plasma Cannon, Plasmagun, CombiGrav in either 5 man strike squads or 10 men interdiction squads. I love their new rules and price reductions.

As for modeling the guy in the center is how I did the plasma gun using the squad kit. I cut off the flamer barrel and added the plasmagun. Cell phonepic, camera died so the quality is low but I think you can see it anyway.

First of all the models are cool and so is the fluff so finding a competitive way to use them would be great.

So they got a points decrease and all shots ignore cover. That has potential but they are limited on how many and what weapons they can use.

Right now I'm still thinking some thing along the lines of hunters. Armed with a MM and some bolters they make great drop in killers for armor or units in cover like marker light units. Not sure they out perform sternguard tho for the points.

What are your thoughts?

I also play with my LotD

And they are great! Mine's 10x man loaded with MM and plasma gun, sgt got plasma pistol and axe. The fact that they are cheaper is nice, and the new no cover will realy help clearing squads in cover.

So like Azash, do you think they might replace Sternguard? 

Thinking maybe 2 squads of 6 or 7 guys. 1 squad for tank hunting while the other go and do infantry hunting...

I also play with my LotD,

And they are great! Mine's 10x man loaded with MM and plasma gun, sgt got plasma pistol and axe. The fact that they are cheaper is nice, and the new no cover will realy help clearing squads in cover.

So like Azash, do you think they might replace Sternguard?

Thinking maybe 2 squads of 6 or 7 guys. 1 squad for tank hunting while the other go and do infantry hunting...

They won't replace Sternguard, but they are a viable alternative to shooty terminators and if played correctly are more survivable and deadly.

What about a strategic sniper roll and then a tar pit? I think that might be viable.

You equip them with enough weapons to drop them in somewhere and take out a high value target. Once that mission is complete you can use there 3++ as a way to make them a tar pit unit. Just charge in and assault something like a Riptide.

With 5 models your going to be able to keep it busy for a couple of rounds and with 3++ you may be able to extend that to perhaps 3. If the Riptide is beating up your LotD it's not running around causing problems somewhere else.

Just a thought. Not sure if this is an effective use of points but if you were going this route you could equip the sergeant with a PF since he has a 3++ to keep him up long enough to use it. This makes him a threat to things like MC's or gives him the option of beating up fortifications or tanks.

Since I have 30 spare tacticals from the DV sets I'm going to convert 10 of them to Legion of the Damned. I want a squad with Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun and Combi-Plasma anyway so all I have to do is give the Sarge a Combi-Plas from the Sternguard kit.

Just gotta find a way to tack skulls onto them... I want to spend as little as possible. But as a squad I think they've got great rules and stats. Much easier to use than Sternguard, too.

I had a thought about LotD in relation to command squads. Unless your putting your command squad on a bike it might be better to take LotD?

A kitted out company command squad with storm shields and 5 grav/plas runs 225 pts. A plasma heavy lots squad with PC, PG, and a combi-plasma and PW is 180 pts.

You sacrifice chapter tactics and some fire power but you gain access to a heavy weapon, relentless, and a deep striking unit but you get the same durability. What your saving is a lot, 45 pts is most of the way towards paying for a techmarine or librarian. The savings are even greater if you factor in the cost of a dedicated transport for the command squad.

Archived