The Jagga Crusade: A tale of three battle brothers

Spaced Hulk

They gathered in the darkness.

Their chosen rendezvous point was a small, isolated system, located deep within the endless wilderness of the Eastern Fringe. Six desolate, lifeless worlds, slowly orbiting a dying star. No civilisation, either human or xenos, had ever claimed this barren place. It didn't even have a name.

An inauspicious place to begin such a grand undertaking.

A single strike cruiser was the first to arrive, the burst of intense, multi-spectrum light heralding it's emergence from the Immaterium. A sleek dagger of a craft, it immediately engaged it's primary real-space drives, powering away from the designated translation point. As it moved into high orbit above the third planet, the faint light from the system's distant sun danced against the black armoured hull, briefly illuminating the great stone sigil embedded in the adamantium like a tombstone. Carved from an immense slab of white marble, the icon was shaped into a human skull, resting on a pair of curved battle scythes.

The vessel was known as Death's Shroud, and it's dark, morbid heraldry matched the grim Space Marines it carried within. Amongst the battle fleet of Occludus, it was renowned for both it's speed and the efficiency of it's crew. For the warriors of the Death Spectres Fifth Battle Company, it was a point of pride that they had been first to answer the summons.

For six days they waited patiently, alone in the darkness. When warp travel was involved, particularly over such great distances, delays were expected, and therefore tolerated. For the Space Marines on-board, the time was spent in either training or meditation, preparing both minds and bodies for the trials that awaited them.

On the seventh day, their solitude was broken. The veil between realms was ripped asunder once more by the arrival of a massive Astartes Battle Barge. While the Death's Shroud was a sleek, elegant hunter, the newcomer was simply brutal and functional, a mobile fortress bristling with weapons. Although it's colours were superficially similar to those of the Death Spectres, there was no mistaking this vessel's identity or origin. The icon of a huge, armoured gauntlet, precision cut into the ten metre thick steel plates of the bow, proudly proclaimed the ship's heritage. This was the Armourum Ferrus, and it had served the Iron Hands of Medusa since the days of the Great Crusade.

A third vessel appeared less than an hour later. Another Battle Barge, it's cerulean armour showing the signs of recent, and savage, void combat. The symbols and pictograms that adorned it's ancient, battered hull were indecipherable to all outside the warship's homeworld, but an automated signal declared it's identity in standard High Gothic. The Pride of Pochutec, flagship of the Rainbow Warriors Chapter, forgotten sons of Guilliman and defenders of Prism. They too had answered the call of the Ordo Xenos, and these were but the first of many warriors they were committing to the battle that lay ahead.

Tentatively, communications were opened between the three ships. Even though they had all been summoned for the same purpose, initial meetings between different Chapters were always cautious and guarded. Warrior's pride could be offended far too easily, even amongst allies.

Over the following week, ships continued to arrive in a near constant flow. Strike Cruisers and Battle Barges, Gladius Frigates and Cobra Destroyers, dozens of vessels clad in a huge assortment of different colours and heraldry. As the armada grew, so too did the list of Chapters involved. Executioners, Fire Hawks, Marines Errant, Bahltimyr Ravens, Black Guard, Sword Bearers, Sky Sentinels. Names both famous and infamous. Some renowned throughout the entire Imperium, others obscure or shrouded in ignominy.

As the Crusade grew, it's leaders met together, forming plans, sharing tactics.

For the Orks of the Jagga Empire, the hammer of the Imperium was about to fall.

Hi B&C, welcome to an unusual sort of WIP project; a combined hobby journal of three forum members: Deathspectresrg7, Aquilanus and myself.

Our aim is simply to collect, convert and paint a variety of different Space Marine Chapters. However, all our forces will be linked by a common background, specifically a historical campaign set in 930.M41 against the Ork Empire of Jagga, a growing alien menace in the heart of the Eastern Fringe. In order to combat this threat, and prevent the Waaagh spreading throughout the Ultima Segmentum, the Ordo Xenos have called upon Adeptus Astartes Chapters across the entire Imperium to launch a crusade into Ork-held space. This is one of the galaxy's forgotten wars, you won't find reference to it in any Codex or official time line. Or, in other words, we're making it up ourselves. msn-wink.gif

The rules are...well, actually there are no rules. We've each chosen particular Chapters, but there's no requirement for us to stick religiously to our initial choices. In fluff terms, this will represent various Imperial forces being deployed or redeployed as the campaign progresses. Basically, we'll each add whatever we feel like working on at the time, both in terms of models and also in creating the background for the crusade. Some of our projects may end up as entire armies, others may just be a single squad or character.

In my next post I'll go into more detail about the Chapters I've initially chosen, and I'm sure the others will be along shortly to introduce their own armies and what they hope to achieve.

Any advice, comments or constructive criticism are welcome.

Let the crusade begin! smile.png

Thanks Captain smile.png

After ETL myself, like a few others, have had any inclination to paint decline quite steeply sad.png My main hope is for this to act as an incentive to be more consistent when trying to plan, paint and create a background for a couple of armies. My main army is well known enough that short of a few fluff pieces on some new units I'll eventually kitbash/paint etc, one of my others has very little in terms of actual background, mainly as I have a tendency to start IA's in the Liber and never in any way able to get one finished sad.png

I'll leave the "introduction" for those armies for my next post, as I'd like to start off with a small story to give everyone a feel for them.

I decided to do another company of Death Spectres the 5th since I'm almost done with the 4th and a small company of Rainbow Warriors also the 5th.Also will be adding elements of the 1st co for both chapters .Was planning on having pictures to post of the first models but the new toys did come in today when they were suppossed to.ermm.gif

This sounds promising, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Projects like this are one of the things I like most about these forums.

I'll try not to disappoint! laugh.png

Hopefully, I'll finish painting the Ravens combat squad (which is now legal due to the new Codex), using the Series 7 brushes I got for a very good price last week. I intend to add a little back story on units that I post pictures of in this topic smile.png

Also, I'm hammering out a 1k points army list for them (to start off with laugh.png ) and expanding the 2k points Rainbow Warriors to Company size (ultimately, I'm going for the whole Chapter, but one step at a time laugh.png )

I just need to win the Lottery! laugh.png

@ Captain Semper, A Kvit Ghost: Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully we won't disappoint smile.png .

@ Furioso-prime. This thread was very much inspired by your 12 armies topic. I know you've made a decision about 40K, but your ideas and contributions will always be valued here smile.png

@ Deathspectresrg7: Can't wait to see your new minis brother! thumbsup.gif

@ Aquilanus: Really looking forward to your first story mate! thumbsup.gif

Introduction

My aim is quite simple: I want to turn the massive stockpile of bare plastic, metal and resin miniatures that I've collected over the last 17 years into finished models and armies. As painting is the one aspect of the hobby that I really struggle to motivate myself to do, I'm hoping that this thread will be the kick in the posterior that I obviously need smile.png.

Out of the three of us, I've currently chosen the most Chapters. Six so far, to be precise, with more potential candidates patiently waiting in the wings. Obvously this is either insane over-confidence or sheer delusion, but I'm perservering nevertheless. If I find my enthusiasm waning on one army, I can switch to another Chapter in the Crusade to avoid hobby burnout, whilst still effectively working on the same overall project.

Here are my initial six choices:

Iron Hands

A very long time ago (but not in a Galaxy far far away) I read the Iron Hands Index Astartes article in White Dwarf, and have loved the Chapter ever since. However, I've always shied away from collecting them, partly because I've never thought my conversion skills were up to the task of creating an army of the mechanically augmented sons of Medusa. These days I feel a bit more confident that I can do the Iron Tenth justice, or at least stand a chance of transfering my mental image of them into actual minis. Combined with the attention they're now getting from both GW and Forge World, my first choice of Chapter was obvious.

The Iron Hands are the only First Founding Chapter I've chosen. Modelwise I want them to be most heavily converted of all my armies. At the back of my head, I've also got an idea to use the new Centurian rules to represent Battle Automatum, especially if Forge World keep on releasing Mechanicum models.

Executioners

Possibly my all time favourite 'official' Space Marine Chapter. I love the fact that they went into the Badab war knowing that they were on the wrong side, and that it would probably result ultimately in their destruction, but that they chose to honour their debt to the Astral Claws anyway. Then, when they realised the true extent of the Tyrant's corruption, they turned on him and fought anybody that got in their way. Forget the Space Wolves, these guys are, in my opinion, the epitome of noble barbarians

This will actually be the second Executioners army I've started. With the first one I got carried away using componants from lots of different kits, and ended up with models that lacked any sort of cohesion. I still think it's actually very difficult to create Executioners models that don't look like they belong in either the Fang or the Eye of Terror, but hopefully my second attempt will be more successful.

Background wise, the Jagga Crusade takes place about 17 years after the Badab Wars. This means that my Executioners will be well into their penitent crusade to atone for their actions. Exiled from their homeworld and forbidden from recruiting, they will be battered, war weary, under strength and using whatever weapons, armour or equipment they can scavenge. The inspiration for this army is 1000Heathens truly awesome Marine's Malevolent.

Black Guard

As with the Iron Hands, I've liked the Raven Guard ever since first reading their Index Astartes article. For this crusade though, I really didn't want to have two black armoured armies. I originally considered the Revilers, but when I saw the new Black Guard colour scheme I immediately changed my mind and chose them.

Army wise, I want these to be true Raven Guard successors. Few vehicles, but lots of scouts, tac squads and assault marines. I also intend to use some of Anvil Industry's brilliant Black Ops models to give the army a special forces feel.

I haven't got the new Codex: Space Marines yet (hopefully this week though), so I don't know if there's any new official fluff about the Black Guard. Assuming there's not, the direction I want to take their background is that during the Heresy, the original Black Guard were the RG tasked with containing the Weregeld (the monstrosities created by the accelerated Astartes development program) and unleashing them in combat. At the end of the Heresy, after Corax killed the surviving mutants and locked himself in isolation, the Black Guard were formed into their own Chapter.

Fire Hawks

I decided to include a second Badab chapter simply because of how excellent Forge World's IA 9 & 10 are. Since the HH: Betrayal was released they've been a bit overshadowed, but I still consider them a truly exceptional addition to 40K lore. Basically they took a load of obscure Chapters , most of them known only for their name and the original Badab info, and managed to make each one unique.

As I'd already chosen the Executioners, I decided that my fourth army would be from the loyalist side of the Badab war. This is in order to deliberately create tension amongst the Crusade forces, especially as Badab will still be very fresh in their memories.

There were a few contenders but I chose the Fire Hawks for three main reasons: First of all, they're probably the most belligerent of the loyalist Badab armies (arguably as much to blame for the conflict as the Astral Claws themselves) and will therefore just detest even the idea of fighting alongside the Executioners. Some cool story ideas there I think. Secondly the colour scheme is totally different from any of my other armies. I suspect I'll either love or hate painting it. Finally, I think the fact that they're a doomed chapter is really interesting. Just thirty years after the Jagga crusade, the Fire Hawks disappear into the warp and are never seen again (unless you count the Legion of the Damned) Whatever happens during the campaign, the Fire Hawks certainly won't be getting the last laugh.

Sky Sentinals

These guys are the unknowns. I wanted one official Chapter that's been's mentioned but never described, that I could pretty much develop from scratch the way I did with the Night Watch (during the Brotherhood of Angels Competition). To my knowledge, the Sky Sentinals have a named homeworld (Pranagar) and were mentioned in the Grey Knights Codex, and that's it. Pretty sure they don't even have a colour scheme.

The main reason I chose this chapter is simply because I like the name. One of my two, all time favorite Sci-Fi books is called 'Sentinals from Space' (I'll be well impressed with anyone who can name the author without googling it).

Sword Bearers

My final choice is, perhaps predictably, my home brew chapter that I've been writing about and converting models for during the last few months. They're a Dark Angels successor, based on the very edge of the Eastern Fringe, who have diverged considerably from the other Unforgiven Chapters. The most obvious representation of this is the Revenants, the Sword Bearer's Second Company, who have evolved quite differently to their Ravenwing predecessors.

As my Sword Bearers thread in the DA forum is still ongoing, they won't feature too heavily in this thread. They are a part of the Jagga campaign though, so they will show up in the crusade's fluff from time to time, and I will occasionally be posting pics of them here as well.

Interestingly (from my point of view anyway), the Jagga Crusade starts just five years before the pivotal event in the Sword Bearers storyline: the destruction of their fortress monastery and the loss of most of the chapter. Therefore, any background I add about them here will link quite nicely with what I've got planned for them in the future (insert evil laugh here).

Anyway, I think that's enough self indulgant rambling for one evening. My thanks to anyone who reads all that. My next post will definately include some pics (this is the WIP forum after all msn-wink.gif )

@ Spacedhulk.......oh, I'll pop in time to time with a mini or Deathwatch conversion........devil.gif

as for you selections, not good.

they are great. it's nice to see some forethought and background develope.

I am particularly excited about the direction you are taking the Black Guard.

keep it up, The HELLHAMMERS are watching.

prime

The Orks were gathered around a large edifice dedicated to their heathen Gods. A rhythmic chanting grew louder and louder as they worked themselves into a frenzy. A few on the fringe couldn't contain their battle lust any more and had started hitting each other around the head and body.

Xenos scum! Veteran Sergeant Flah'Kuo thought bitterly. Turning to his squad, he could see they had had similar thoughts. The Ravens of Bahltiyr had used their skill at infiltration to get closer than the rest of the Imperial war machine, something that irked the Chapter as a whole. They preferred to work alone, but orders were orders.

He caught sight of the Chapter Master himself, and watched his hands carefully. Rather than risk a burst transmission this close to the objective, communication was made using hand signals. Flah'Kuo smiled as he realised what Lurweiss was ordering him to do.

BR, right. Blitz coverage.

He didn't need to repeat those orders, as he knew the others were watching as well. Motioning from three, the squad primed their weapons to attack...

Okay, here are some pictures for the Combat squad I'm working on. Eventually, they'll be boosted up to a full ten Marine squad.

Squad Flah'Kuo

med_gallery_51296_8731_114783.jpg

Flah'Kuo is a Sergeant who follows Rai Lurweiss loyally, but after the Chapter turns to Chaos, has an agenda of his own (more of that eventually msn-wink.gif )

med_gallery_51296_8731_160467.jpg

Missile Launcher Marine

med_gallery_51296_8731_514733.jpg

In keeping with the theme (the Chapter is based on the Baltimore Ravens American Football team), this Marine is modelled as if he's just about to throw the ball (missile). Rather than Have Flah'Kuo (Joe Flacco) be the Launcher carrier, I thought it better for him to be the leader of a squad and have some one else use it. Most, if not all of the squads I'll get will be named after actual Ravens players, with their actual positions in the team reflected in Marine squads. The exception to this is Rai Lurweiss (Ray Lewis) who for many was the "real" leader of the Ravens. This Marine will have a few missiles at his feet that will be shaped as footballs (or at least to the best of my limited abilities with Green Stuff laugh.png )

The Triplets

Their similarity was unintentional, but I went with it. Still haven't thought of any fluff for these guys yet, but if I work some out between now and the next update, I'll add it in then.

Triplet A

med_gallery_51296_8731_434261.jpg

Triplet B

med_gallery_51296_8731_395093.jpg

Triplet C

med_gallery_51296_8731_169639.jpg

I've tentatively worked out how I want Lurweiss himself to look. One of the bitz company's I use has recently started supplying the new Veteran Vanguard bitz, but I'm rather short on money until the end of the month, so he'll have to wait! laugh.png As stated elsewhere, I want Lurweiss to be a Shrike counts as, as the Ravens are Raven Guard successors. With that in mind I wanted to add something of Ray Lewis into the model and have Lurweiss look as if he's either about to tackle (model leaning foward) or as if he's just landed from a jump (and style it as if he's in the middle of Ray's famous pre-match dance! laugh.png )

I wont decide until I get the bitz I want and have a trial run assembling them.

Thanks for looking! happy.png

Looking good Brother caught on the names Flah'Kuo( Flacco ) laugh.png

I've posted an army list for them in the Lists sub forum and I intend to have a Legion of the Damned squad. They'll be painted in another colour scheme (most likely either the 49'ers or New England Patriots laugh.png ). A few of the character models will have either a helmet or shoulder guard of their eventual enemies, the Steel Wings on their bases.

@ Furioso-prime: Thanks mate! Looking forward to seeing your Heresy Era Salamanders smile.png

@ Aquilanus: Excellent start brother! thumbsup.gif I'm afraid I don't know very much about American Football, but I'm guessing the colour scheme is based on the actual Baltimore Raven's kit? Anyway, it's a cool idea mate, looking forward to seeing it develop. For what my comments will be worth, I'll have a look at your army list as well.

Background wise, I think the Ravens and the Black Guard are going to be sharing recon duties between them msn-wink.gif

@ Deathspectresrg7: 20 veterans all in one go! An impressive start as always brother thumbsup.gif Looking forward to seeing them completed. Which Chapter(s) are they for?

Real life has been a bit chaotic this week (not in the traitorous, daemonic sense smile.png) so I'm still trying to finish off converting my first few models. I have got an Executioners Tac Squad Sergeant and four members of a Black Guard Stalker squad (their version of sternguard) well under way though, so hopefully pics won't be too much longer.

They will be Death Spectres and Rainbow Warriors.thumbsup.gif

And I won't be the only Rainbow Warrior in the village after all! laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

@Spacedhulk (cool name by the way! laugh.png ) Yeah, the Ravens have the same colours as their real life counterparts (I can't take the credit for the way the colours are on the armour. Cormac Airt came up with it smile.png ) I was going to "create" other NFL inspired Chapters as part of their fluff for them to take revenge on (Bolters of Endenopolos, Neo-Alba Patriarch, amongst others), but it ended up like too much work! laugh.png

I might have a few dead ones on a Dread base I'll be sure to have eventually! devil.gif

I'm loving the poses happy.png Looks like I'll have to get some Vanguard for my RW army as well as regular Assault squad box

Looking forward to see what they look like painted! happy.png

@ Deathspectresrg7: Excellent work brother! thumbsup.gif You'll probably have all those veterans painted before I've painted a single model smile.png By the way, I took your advice and bought the Sternguard box.

Well, it's taken a lot longer than I'd hoped but I've finally got some models to post! smile.png Names and backgrounds will follow later, but for now, here are the pics:

Executioner Tactical Squad Sergeant:

gallery_917_8852_1250730.jpg

gallery_917_8852_1028814.jpg

I was aiming for a look of efficient brutality with this guy, a techno barbarian but without the feral qualities that you normally identify with the Space Wolves. As a result I chose one of the less toothy and hairy SW heads, and deliberately left off any other ornamentation to his armour. I'm imagining that the leather glove holding the axe is replacing a damaged power armour gauntlet. Quite pleased with how he's turned out, although in the photo's I can see some cleaning up jobs I've missed. Being an Executioner he could possibly do with some skulls or trophies hanging from his belt, but as I said in my introduction, I don't want them to look too chaos-y and I think it's really easy to go overboard with this Chapter. As the Crusade progresses, perhaps a few Ork skulls might make an appearance. msn-wink.gif

Ok, next up are four members of a Black Guard Hunter-Killer team (yes, I changed my mind about the name):

gallery_917_8852_1080981.jpg

gallery_917_8852_1043647.jpg

gallery_917_8852_532124.jpg

I'm counting the Anvil Industry weapons as bolt carbines: smaller, lighter variants of the standard boltgun. I think bolt carbines might have been mentioned in the Inquisitor rulebook so there is some precedent. In any case, I think they look quite cool and appropriate for the special forces feel I'm going with for the Black Guard.

gallery_917_8852_363447.jpg

gallery_917_8852_731642.jpg

The mag-locked bolter clips are also from Anvil Industry. Who says Marine's don't carry enough ammo! smile.png

gallery_917_8852_446459.jpg

gallery_917_8852_777628.jpg

Team Leader

gallery_917_8852_1336032.jpg

gallery_917_8852_159301.jpg

gallery_917_8852_1258594.jpg

The gladius is slightly misaligned but it's only noticeable from a certain angle, so probably going to leave it for now. If it does annoy me I've still got the original resin pommel for the sword, so I could cut the plastic one off and replace it.

The background I've got in mind for these guys is that they're the Black Guard's version of Sternguard, and act very much like modern day special forces. So they infiltrate behind enemy lines, destroying key targets and assassinating the opposing command structure. Like normal Marine Scouts I suppose, but with power armour. And special ammunition msn-wink.gif Obviously I'll be using the Raven Guard Chapter Tactics for the Black Guard which handily gives this squad the Scout special rule.

I'm thinking their power armour probably includes stealth modifications so it runs quieter. One thing I'm musing over is how to paint them, as the normal Black Guard colours aren't really that inconspicuous. I could go for an all black scheme as homage to their RG predecessors, or possibly say they use different camouflage paint schemes depending on their mission.

And finally for today, here's some WIP pics of my Iron Hands War Leader.

gallery_917_8852_366374.jpg

gallery_917_8852_66912.jpg

gallery_917_8852_355732.jpg

I'm deliberately going for a very dynamic, running pose for this model, the reasons for which I'll explain when I post more pics of him (I think this post is quite long enough already smile.png )

Thanks for looking. Comments and feedback are welcome.

Very cool Brother like the load outs on the Kill team never enough ammothumbsup.gif .The Executioner is brutal like the axe.Glad you got the Sternguard there are alot of weapons options plus you can spread those out to other Marines. yes.gif.Going to start on painting later today.But that was a great up-date.thumbsup.gif

Thanks brother smile.png The new Sternguard models are excellent, although I am tempted to add power weapons and use them as Honour Guard. Not sure which Chapter though, possibly Iron Hands. All the spare combi-weapons etc will end up in either an Executioners Sternguard squad or with Sword Bearer Company Veterans.

Archived