The Jagga Crusade: A tale of three battle brothers

Spaced Hulk

Ok, update time. Due to my never ending quest to avoid painting smile.png, I decided to model a Veteran for each of my Crusade Chapters. I'll be writing some background for each one in due course, but for now, here are some pics of the first three:

Hual Euthestri, Vanguard Veteran of Clave Prime, Clan Sorrgol of the Iron Hands. Armed with Medusan duelling blades (counts as lightning claws).

gallery_917_8896_725590.jpg

gallery_917_8896_868100.jpg

gallery_917_8896_451762.jpg

gallery_917_8896_308676.jpg

Cahelm Brak, Executioners Sternguard Veteran Sergeant Honour Guard. Armed with boltgun, bolt pistol & power axe.

gallery_917_8896_1044360.jpg

gallery_917_8896_495116.jpg

gallery_917_8896_561959.jpg

gallery_917_8896_369169.jpg

Xao Eyuma, Brother Sergeant of 2nd Squad, 7th Company, Black Guard Tactical Reserve. Armed with mark 1 plasma pistol, mono-molecular combat blade & bolt pistol.

gallery_917_8896_439038.jpg

gallery_917_8896_1205711.jpg

gallery_917_8896_754562.jpg

gallery_917_8896_661298.jpg

I'll post the Fire Hawk, Sky Sentinel and Sword Bearer Veterans either tomorrow or early next week. C&C are welcome smile.png

Tomas Obelyn, Knight Veteran of Infernus Command Squad, Fire Hawks 2nd Battle Company. Armed with power fist & flamer.

gallery_917_8896_748610.jpg

gallery_917_8896_1236683.jpg

gallery_917_8896_833748.jpg

gallery_917_8896_378608.jpg

Veteran Brother Draeytia, Sky Sentinels Immortal Guard. Armed with power gladius and boltgun with special issue ammunition.

gallery_917_8896_230486.jpg

gallery_917_8896_422073.jpg

gallery_917_8896_365937.jpg

gallery_917_8896_1019783.jpg

Company Veteran Jekuthial Hain, Acting Sergeant of 6th Squad, Sword Bearer's Third Battle Company. Armed with combi-meltagun, combat blade & melta bombs.

gallery_917_8896_1009527.jpg

gallery_917_8896_903166.jpg

gallery_917_8896_1121247.jpg

gallery_917_8896_247478.jpg

Finally for today, I've decided that Cahelm Brak is getting a promotion into an Executioner's Honour Guard Squad. Here's a WIP pic of one of his new comrades:

gallery_917_8896_141121.jpg

C&C are welcome smile.png

Loving the stuff in this topic so far gentlemen! happy.png

Apologies for the severe lack of any updates, but I've been busy working and lack of funds has meant that my hobby time has vanished. However, after a particularly fethy week, I decided that I'd treat myself to a little something in the way of kitbashing a HQ for my Ravens of Bahltimyr, something that I love most out of all of the aspects of the hobby at present happy.png. I also found the remaining two Devastator Marines I hadn't converted over to my Iron Hands successor Command squad. One is (literally) armless, the other has the heavy Melta. Both were going to be part of my frequently aborted Amber Dragons Chapter (who will get their day in the Sun one day smile.png ), but when I started painting them, I undercoated far too heavily, the Orange armour came out terrible and the entire project was scrapped (hence the remaining parts went elsewhere). They are currently being stripped and will be added to the five Marine I have already smile.png

Anyway, the HQ. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a big fan of the Baltimore Ravens (American) Football team, and I created a DIY Traitor warband around them. The Chaos Codex came out and there was a lot about the book I didn't like at the time, (I plan to revisit it at some point and see if I can't work out how to make the Traitor version work...more on that once I have an idea... msn-wink.gif )

Anyway, once I had reached the 2k points stage for my Rainbow Warriors, I started to think about how the Reavers/Ravens used to be before the incident (with the Steel Wings) sent them on their way to Chaos. The leader is Chapter Master Rai Lurweiss, (Ray Lewis), and I've been thinking about how he'd look. Someone mentioned that I had better model him in a parody/homage to Ray's famous prematch dance that he used to do. That set many neurons in motion and what I've come up with is below.

The parts are mainly from the new Vanguard range, something that I'm fairly impressed with smile.png The head is a High Elf one, which will need some retro fitting as the head is nothing like a Marine one (as in it has no neck and the underside slopes off, so some GS will be needed to make it work).

Rai Lurweiss, Chapter Master of the Ravens of Bahlitmyr:

gallery_51296_8731_231777.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_213742.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_224374.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_23371.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_414039.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_472329.jpg

The pictures aren't great I know, but I'll get some better ones along with the two other Marines once they're ready to be repainted smile.png

Go Ravens! (I just hope they don't lose this coming week - 2-2 is not that good at this stage in the season! sad.png )

Oh yeah, I like this one Brother!!!!thumbsup.gif GO LIONS

Go Lions?! laugh.png

which high elf head is that you used? looks good.

It's this one mate:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/high-elf-mage-head-p-7309

I'll trim off the Gem, but I'll probably leave the band. I decided to give him long hair as most of my HQ's have short(er) hair, plus they're Raven Guard successor, the long hair and the pronounced cheek bones just seems to fit to me smile.png

@ deathspectresrg7: Thanks brother smile.png

@ Aquilanus: Nice work mate thumbsup.gif That High Elf head is perfect for a Raven Guard successor!

Just a very quick update today as I've mainly been writing Sword Bearers fiction. I have however managed to prime/base coat a few minis. Here's the Iron Hand I posted earlier. C&C are welcome smile.png

gallery_917_8896_767766.jpg

gallery_917_8896_405118.jpg

gallery_917_8896_467290.jpg

Good start Brother thumbsup.gif should have a post for my Rainbow Warrior faction this week end yes.gif .Still recouping from my road trip to KC and back.sweat.gif

Looking forward to seeing your Rainbow Warriors mate smile.png Hope you feel better soon! smile.png

'Hulk will be interesting to see what "take" you have for your Iron Hands smile.png

@ deathspectresrg7: Cheers mate, looking forward to your next update thumbsup.gif. My geography isn't brilliant but that sounds like a long trip. Hope you feel better soon smile.png.

@ Aquilanus: The main thing I want to do with the Iron Hands is to get away from the concept of them as slow, lumbering warriors. That sort of sluggish, mechanised image has always seemed a bit of an old fashioned cliché, a throwback to the Borg from Star Trek and old 50's B-Movie robots, but unfortunately it's one that is easily associated with the Iron Hands because of their cybernetic implants. Even Forge World have included an element of this in the new Massacre rules, by forcing IH Legionaires to take a leadership test before they run or make a sweeping advance, and limiting the number of Fast Attack choices they can take.

Have you read the short story 'Little Horus', by Dan Abnett? It's my joint favourite piece of HH short fiction (the other is Savage Weapons, by ADB, which influenced my Sword Bearers Chapter) and is the inspiration for my Iron Hands army. It includes a fight scene between Horus Aximond and an IH Lieutenant, where the Iron Hand is not only highly resilient, but also incredibly quick and strong as well. To me, it makes sense that the Chapter aren't going to replace perfectly healthy body parts with cybernetics that actually make them slower. In my 'take' on the Iron Hands, their bionics make them just as fast, if not faster, than a normal space marine. In addition, their hatred (of everything, including themselves) is actually more likely to make them sprint forwards towards the enemy, not less.

I think there's also bit of an assumption that the Iron Hands are a shooting army, and prefer to be blasting away with ranged weapons, rather than engaging in close combat. Again, one of the thing's I liked about 'Little Horus' is that Henricos is described as a superb swordsman, that Aximond really struggles to defeat. It just seems a more rounded, more interesting approach to the Chapter than the standard, slowly but relentlessly advancing machine warriors that they sometimes get portrayed as.

Model wise, I think I'm going to try to represent this by using as many dynamic, active poses as possible, and also including units that aren't typically associated with the Chapter, like Vanguard Veterans and Bike Squadrons. Hopefully the end result will be an interesting and unusual looking Iron Hands army smile.png.

@ deathspectresrg7: Cheers mate, looking forward to your next update thumbsup.gif. My geography isn't brilliant but that sounds like a long trip. Hope you feel better soon smile.png.

@ Aquilanus: The main thing I want to do with the Iron Hands is to get away from the concept of them as slow, lumbering warriors. That sort of sluggish, mechanised image has always seemed a bit of an old fashioned cliché, a throwback to the Borg from Star Trek and old 50's B-Movie robots, but unfortunately it's one that is easily associated with the Iron Hands because of their cybernetic implants. Even Forge World have included an element of this in the new Massacre rules, by forcing IH Legionaires to take a leadership test before they run or make a sweeping advance, and limiting the number of Fast Attack choices they can take.

Have you read the short story 'Little Horus', by Dan Abnett? It's my joint favourite piece of HH short fiction (the other is Savage Weapons, by ADB, which influenced my Sword Bearers Chapter) and is the inspiration for my Iron Hands army. It includes a fight scene between Horus Aximond and an IH Lieutenant, where the Iron Hand is not only highly resilient, but also incredibly quick and strong as well. To me, it makes sense that the Chapter aren't going to replace perfectly healthy body parts with cybernetics that actually make them slower. In my 'take' on the Iron Hands, their bionics make them just as fast, if not faster, than a normal space marine. In addition, their hatred (of everything, including themselves) is actually more likely to make them sprint forwards towards the enemy, not less.

I think there's also bit of an assumption that the Iron Hands are a shooting army, and prefer to be blasting away with ranged weapons, rather than engaging in close combat. Again, one of the thing's I liked about 'Little Horus' is that Henricos is described as a superb swordsman, that Aximond really struggles to defeat. It just seems a more rounded, more interesting approach to the Chapter than the standard, slowly but relentlessly advancing machine warriors that they sometimes get portrayed as.

Model wise, I think I'm going to try to represent this by using as many dynamic, active poses as possible, and also including units that aren't typically associated with the Chapter, like Vanguard Veterans and Bike Squadrons. Hopefully the end result will be an interesting and unusual looking Iron Hands army smile.png.

I haven't read much in the way of Iron Hand stories, so it's something I want to catch up on eventually happy.png

I completely agree about the preconception that they are slow and plodding, something that I'll bear in mind when I eventually get around to them myself.

I've gotten some progress on my Ravens of Bahltimyr HQ, Rai Lurweiss and my DIY Blood Angels successor Sons of Cruor HQ (as yet unnamed). I'm not sure if the SoC HQ is army legal, as I just ordered some BA related bitz and made him happy.png and I don't have a BA Codex, but in any case, his armour colour will be the prototype for the rest of them.

Rai Lurweiss:

gallery_51296_8731_15687.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_364572.jpg

Sons of Cruor HQ:

gallery_51296_8579_231106.jpg

gallery_51296_8579_400328.jpg

As readers might have guessed, I've finally found the charger for my proper camera, so hopefully the pictures I take will be far better from now on happy.png

I really like the blue I've chosen for the SoC. I've used Thunderhawk blue from the new GW range with Drakenhof Nightshade wash. I wanted to use a colour not usually associated with the Blood Angels and their successors. When I came up with the concept, I wanted that shade of blue sometimes associated with cold. People suffering with it can often turn a shade of blue, and that's the shade I wanted. It's not quite the shade I wanted, but I really do like it.

Cruor means:

Noun

cruor (uncountable)

The colouring matter of the blood.

The clotted portion of coagulated blood, containing the colouring matter; gore.

I haven't quite gotten their background completely fleshed out yet, but they are a BA successor who like the Flesh Tearers have accepted what they are, accepted the Red Thirst, and the Black Rage, but because they feel that to deny it makes the conditions worse. In their eyes, if they embrace them fully, if they are strong enough, they will "go through to the other side" of the madness that consumes them and become the Marines Sanguinius wished them to be - balanced, in complete control of themselves.

Unfortunately, only one has had any success in this (and that is subject to much debate - he talks in the third person, usually as if he IS Sanguinius, and there are still rumours that he hasn't truly rid himself of those maladies), and that is the HQ I'm doing. I was going to make him to reflect a Sanguinary Priest or a BA style Chaplain (so that he leads others who are currently in the throes of the Red Thirst or Black Rage, but when I saw the bitz, I really wanted to style him this way smile.png

I'm just waiting for them both to dry and I'll go back and add some more to them.

Comments and criticism welcome as ever! happy.png

A Good start on the Sons of Cruor.thumbsup.gif Like the Blue have'nt seen that shade before it will look good in a group shot.yes.gif

I've had the model for quite some time now, but was just feeling too chicken to make any attempt to paint it. Then I saw the Thunderhawk blue and knew that was the colour, the Drakenhof Nightshade just finished it off, giving it some depth. I've never seen a BA successor in blue, so I thought that would be something cool to have smile.png

The rest of the model will have the usual BA "bling" (gold etc), but I want it to be more muted than usual. The Sons of Cruor aren't really about that, their mind set is more like the Flesh Tearers, who don't exactly go for ornate decoration compared to other Chapters laugh.png

Right, off to see if it's dry yet! happy.png

Edit: They were and here are some more pictures of the Sons of Cruor HQ happy.png

gallery_51296_8579_189748.jpg

gallery_51296_8579_114397.jpg

gallery_51296_8579_338767.jpg

Still have a fair bit to do on him (mainly the attempt at OSL and tidying up some areas), but I just had to share what he looks like now! laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

@ Aquilanus: Excellent work mate! thumbsup.gif Unusual to see BA successors with a blue colour scheme but it really works!

@ Deathspectresrg7: Good to see you back brother! smile.png

Quick update from me:

Sword Bearers Expeditionary Force arrives at the Jagga Crusade rendezvous point. Initial deployment consists of 3rd Battle Company elements under the direct command of the Chapter Council.

gallery_917_8957_120158.jpg

Archivists Note: Initial Sword Bearer deployments to the Jagga Crusade were still utilising a modified version of the standard, Codex approved Ash World camouflage scheme, following their previous involvement in the Osirus Sub Sector Pacification.

Lots more pics can be found in my Sword Bearers thread in the DA forum. Here's the link: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/272544-sword-bearers-wip-army-pics-page-9/page-9

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really going to have to up my game to match them happy.png Love the helmet thumbsup.gif

The more I see of the new Tactical Squad box set, the more I want some! happy.png

Nothing from me at the moment as I don't have any time spare after working every shift imaginable (I'm on a 9 day stretch dry.png so this time next week I'll have two days off - I intend to make the most of them)

It seems that my post got lost in the warp! oh well, I was going to change my chapter.

I am going to delve into the Dornian Heresy for this one.

ready?

you sure?   

Loyalist Death Guard!

I really like the Scheme of the DG , it's easy to paint and supports a secret project i am working on ATM.

fluff and test mini coming soon.

prime

Hmmm, lost and gained a few posts since the last time I checked this thread. Oh well, the forum crashes mean we're all in the same boat.

@ deathspectresrg7: Excellent work as always brother, you really are doing the warriors of Prism and Occludus proud! thumbsup.gif

@ furioso-prime: Nice to see you back in action mate, look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Ok, update time. I've actually been doing a bit of painting(!) this weekend. Here are my first two models for my Sword Bearers: Battle Brother Iveya of the Third Battle Company, and an unidentified Revenant Headhunter of the Second Company:

gallery_917_9031_1373152.jpg

gallery_917_9031_473206.jpg

gallery_917_9031_769709.jpg

There are a few more pics in my Sword Bearers thread over in the DA forum.

Archived