hellfire rounds on bikes

Brother Navaer Solaq

• 1 month later...

I am posting another question here because it is related to hellfire rounds.

Q. Hellfire rounds in the book is stated as 24" range? Is this correct for scouts equipped with heavy bolters with hellfire rounds. Does this mean that a 36" heavy bolter range becomes 24" range when using hellfire rounds (in 5th edition it was 36" right?)

Q. Hellfire rounds in the book is stated as 24" range? Is this correct for scouts equipped with heavy bolters with hellfire rounds. Does this mean that a 36" heavy bolter range becomes 24" range when using hellfire rounds (in 5th edition it was 36" right?)

Scouts don't use hellfire rounds, they use hellfire shells.

Hellfire Shells also have a 24" range.

There is still a difference. One is rapid fire, one is blast. Very important distinction.

There is still a difference. One is rapid fire, one is blast. Very important distinction.

Its also very clear from context what he was asking about, as scouts dont have access to special issue ammunition.

Its also very clear from context what he was asking about, as scouts dont have access to special issue ammunition.

Yes obviously I knew what he was talking about, however it is best to use the Proper terms. After all Hellfire rounds have been 24" for some time, shells have not. Is kind of a shame though about the loss of range, but at the same time it does make sense. A hail of explosive rounds will generally stay effective at long ranges when compared to a single chemical filled shell.

My main problem with the hellfire shell is that a single poisoned blast is far less useful than several poisoned shots.  The kinds of things you would want to hunt with poisoned weapons are not likely to be bunched close enough to catch more than one in a blast. 

That is why in 5th ed, I almost never used the hellfire shell on my heavy bolter scout and why I don't buy the shells now in the new codex.

If it did have hellfire rounds with the exact same profile as the special ammunition that sternguard get except heavy 3 instead of rapid fire, it would be worth it every time.

Archived