Building a DA army on a budget

Verythrax Draconis

Hi,

Due the GW policies on selling to South America, the cost of the hobby is becoming prohibitive around here, so I'm using some creativity.

As lots of people have done, i'm starting using the Dark Vengeance and some stuff I still have from the Macragge box as a starting point, pooling everything on a single Fallen Angels army, lead by an Alpha Legion cell. the idea is that the AL somehow got the info about the Fallen (maybe even from a Fallen marine) and they now are doing terror raids disguised as the fallen, to discredit the DA, making the cat get out ouf the bag, or/and even bringing them to a trap.

I've already decided what to get to do a CSM list, but I'm considering my options on doing a DA list as well with the same (most of) minis.

I'm considering using the DA fighters as count as heldrakes and such, and even after taking a look at the C:DA, i'm a bit lost on ideas.

So can you guys give me some suggestions for army builds? Builds that use count as units from CSM range, or DA minis that could be used as count as in a CSM army are a plus.

Thanks!

Belial - $22.25

Chaplain in Terminator Armor - $22.25

DW Command Squad Box x2 - $120

Assault Terminators x2 - $100

Would put you in around 1200pts for $265 + Shipping (Less if you buy @ a discount)  Quite possible the cheapest option for you.  This would be utilizing the bits from the DW Command Squad boxes to build a Command Squad and a squad of DWK then the extra bits to build a Sarge for the two assault terminator squads and give them the CMLs.  

Another $50 and you're in the 1500 point range.  

Paul

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but maybe I didn't express myself correctly.

I'm planning to do a Fallen Angels by using CSM and DA models together, to save on cash - I can find lots of second hand 40k minis here, and broadening my scope getting CSM/SM/DA minis can help me a lot on getting minis to build this kind of army.

So, I would like some advice on lists that I can build using minis that could serve both the CSM and the DA codices.

Thanks!

Would going infantry/tank heavy work for you? CSM and DA tac squads are rather similar save for a few options (no AC for DA and no PC for CSM for example but both can take heavy bolters and lazcannons). Both Have Preds, Vindicators, lazcannon Land Raiders and Rhinos. Helbrutes might work too if you skip reaper cannons and scourges. Terminators would be restricted to combi-bolters, chain/power fists and heavy flamers so you might want to skip those. Assault squads also have similar loadouts as raptors, same with basic bikes.

I can't help with actual lists as I'm struggling updating my own knowledge but I would just compare both codexes and see what both armies can take. Most of the basic stuff is almost identical, it's the specialty units that really diverge. Sadly those usually wind up being the most fun to play.

I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning him but Elmo9141 put up an amazing tutorial for magnetizing a rhino chassis for every option they have. I think the link is here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/233713-tutorial-magnetising-vehicles/ One rhino chassis and parts here and there that can be any of the other versions would certainly be cheaper than buying several to have all the different versions.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but maybe I didn't express myself correctly.

Actually, I think the title of the thread is what is misleading people, perhaps you should change it and take out the word budget smile.png

Anyway, the best thing to do is to follow Catastrophe's advice, and make a list of all the entries in the 2 codexes, and see where they overlap. Once you have that reduced list of units, you can then set about constructing an army list that you would like to build. After that it's all about the aesthetic of the army....

Essentially though, you are going to be running marines as the only compatible troop choice between the two codexes, so that is the place to start....

smile.png

Archived