Command Squads - tied to character?

Yodhrin

I was a bit dismayed to see that the MotF didn't get the option to take a Command Squad in the new Codex, when almost every other character did, but looking at the Command Squad entry on pg88 and their part of the army list....I'm wondering if the wording would allow you to play around with them a bit.

For example, if I were to take a MotF and a Chaplain, and the Chaplain was to take a Command Squad, since both the Chaplain and MotF are still Independent Characters, and there's no wording relating to the Command Squad "forming a unit with.." the character that unlocks them, could I choose to deploy the MotF with the Command Squad, and the Chaplain with a different unit in the army?

I was a bit dismayed to see that the MotF didn't get the option to take a Command Squad in the new Codex, when almost every other character did, but looking at the Command Squad entry on pg88 and their part of the army list....I'm wondering if the wording would allow you to play around with them a bit.

For example, if I were to take a MotF and a Chaplain, and the Chaplain was to take a Command Squad, since both the Chaplain and MotF are still Independent Characters, and there's no wording relating to the Command Squad "forming a unit with.." the character that unlocks them, could I choose to deploy the MotF with the Command Squad, and the Chaplain with a different unit in the army?

In the few games I've had recently, I've had my Command squad do their own thing and the HQ (Captain in this case) that allows me to field them was further away. The opponents I've played against didn't bat an eye lid. If this is wrong then I'll refrain from doing so in future, but I don't think they have to be near the HQ in question.

In the main rule book, the Company Champion and Apothecary are infantry (Character), so it might be such that they (as a Command squad) can operate on their own.

Yea, it looks like they eliminated the old wording that tied command squads and honor guards to the independent character HQ's that unlocked them.

That wording wasn't in the old Codex either. It hasn't been like this since 4th edition.

Yea, it looks like they eliminated the old wording that tied command squads and honor guards to the independent character HQ's that unlocked them.

That wording wasn't in the old Codex either. It hasn't been like this since 4th edition.

I've only played three actual games since 4th edition, so that may be where my confusion originated :P

Thanks guys, operation Unkillable Iron Hands MotF Beatstick is a go it seems, muahaha.

Archived