Ironclad Dreadnoughts in the new Codex

Aqui

Reading through the new Codex, I came across the rules for the Ironclad assault launchers (page 126 of the physical Codex). The rules seem to be different. Has anyone had a game with an Ironclad equiped with them since it came out? (I realise that it's only been a short time, but I have seen that a fair number of Frater have already). Are the rules as they stand now better than before? They seem to be, but I'm still (re)learning the game, so have no experience with them yet. In any case, I still intend to have them on my Ironclad and any subsequent ones in the future.

Did not notice a difference. Guess I'll check when I get home.

I've compared the entry in both 5th and current and they seem different to me, but as I said, I have little practical experience of them outside of this topic. Any input you and any other readers have to offer will be greatly appreciated smile.png

I still haven't gotten my dex in the mail, no thanks to gws website glitching up my order. What changed about assault launchers exactly?

5th Edition Codex:

An Ironclad assault launcher is loaded with with a variety of anti personnel grenades that disorientate the enemy and drive them from cover. A Dreadnought with Ironclad Assault Launchers counts as being armed with both defensive and assault grenades.

6th Edition Codex:

An Ironclad assault launcher is loaded with with a variety of anti personnel grenades that disorientate the enemy and drive them from cover. A model with Ironclad assault launchers does not suffer the penalty to its initiative for charging enemies through difficult terrain. Furthermore, enemies charging a model with IAC do not gain bonus attacks from charging unless the model was already locked in combat from a previous turn.

I kinda know what that means, but as I've not used them at all yet (last few games I either forgot or had no chance to use them), I'm not sure what this means in "simple terms".

Nooo! They took away stealth!

That's the only change.  Instead of "offensive and defensive grenades," now they give the effects of offensive grenades and the charge protection of defensive grenades, without the Stealth inside 8" caveat.

Nooo! They took away stealth!

That's the only change.  Instead of "offensive and defensive grenades," now they give the effects of offensive grenades and the charge protection of defensive grenades, without the Stealth inside 8" caveat.

So no +1 to cover saves?

Jeez, you'd think they'd let them keep the old rules, give people some sort of incentive to buy the things.

Unless it was because assault centurions have them too... which just makes it even more stupid!

Ironclads lost the stealth ability which kept them alive after drop-podding in, and the ability to throw a frag grenade in addition to thier other shooting attacks.

This isn't the era of Dreads at all :( At least it's not a massive change, we Dreadnuts must count the small blessings these days...

Does anyone else wonder why GW hates Dreads and Heavy Bolters so much? Do you think their CEO was bullied by a HB Mortis Dread when he was a child or something?

I don't think this change made them bad, by any stretch, though.  I loved using the Stealth caveat, but it rarely helped, since I never popped my smoke launchers anyway.  I paid for a second heavy flamer, I'm damn well going to use both of them every shooting phase possible to hose down as much infantry as possible with burning promethium-laden death.

The key to Ironclads wasn't in the assault launchers, it never has been.  It's in AV13, period.  The most common anti-dread weapons in the game are plasma, melta, and krak grenades.  The grenades can't touch you.  The plasma can't pen you.  Melta. . . . well, there's less of it floating around, so plan your drop accordingly.

Not at all, but it's another kick to Dreads without a good reason. I don't think anyone reported invulnerable Ironclads stomping armies with their terrifying Stealth rule...

I'll keep running them though no matter what GW does, but it's galling to have such an iconic unit feel increasingly sidelined. They could have at least thrown a grav cannon as an option as a bone, it wouldn't have been hard to add a line to the unit entry. Fortunate that Ironclads still do what they do well as I'm quite partial to them.

Ironclads lost the stealth ability which kept them alive after drop-podding in, and the ability to throw a frag grenade in addition to thier other shooting attacks.

Hahah! Tossing a frag grenade never even occured to me.

Anyway, as DEF mentioned, the Ironclad's major feature is the AV13 (as far as I'm concerned).

Archived