New codex Drop pods

War Angel

With the changes to the units who use these, there's also going to be changes to how we use them. So what's everyone's thoughts on these? What units are still, or now viable to earn their use? What chapter tactics will work better with certain units? Will the new tactical squads change how you kit them before loading?

I agree with Minigun on this one, though I think a certain amount of respect should be given to both White Scars because of Hit & Run (allowing you to extricate yourself from any unwanted assaults when you aggressively deploy from your drop pods).

I'd also say Ultra Marines also have a couple of nice options. You can drop a ton of tacticals on your first turn putting them in a very good position to reliably pull off your "Tacical Doctrine" on a turn were you know it will do quite a bit of good. Second, including Tigurius will be great for any reserve-heavy army. Well, actually, let's face it: Tigger's probably a good choice for just about any UM force...wink.png

I'm curious to see if anyone has any better feelings about Deathwind launchers on pods these days with the slight decrease in points. Anyone think they are worth a look now? My feeling is that they are still not worth the bother. If they could fire on the turn they landed, or if they had better range (18-24 would be good) I could see them being a more useful.

I have a Deathwind pod, it worked pretty well with an Ironclad. The Dread doesn't have to worry about damage from scatter and can go off popping tanks or roasting troops while the Deathwind targets nearby infantry. Sending it towards objectives and/or troop concentrations forced my opponent to deal with it, even more so when supported by other units in the strike such as podding Tacs or Storm Scouts for example.

I don't think that's going to change much now. Like Xeones I've thought of the podding Tacs using the UM tactic to deliver a thunderous bolter shock your opponent won't soon forget, it could be quite good if used correctly and maybe a viable way of going Tactical heavy.

The main pod difference to me is the 10 man capacity removing full Tacs with a character. Dropping the heavy weapon trooper to make room might not be a big problem as I mostly took it because it was free so I'm thinking it might just be irritating because I like taking full strength squads tongue.png Now we can get Techmarines outside of the FOC I reckon they're even better supporting characters to Tacs - they're just as good at taking tanks apart as putting them together for me smile.png

I played against someone yesterday who podded in two Sternguard with Melta and a Command Squad.  Did a decent job of getting himself first blood by wiping our a scout comabt squad, a tactical combat squad, and hammering a dev squad pretty hard.  Sterns in a pod are still a pretty good assassin unit and they can take gravguns if you like that flavor.

I like the deathwind launcher. Drop it onto an objective held by weak troops such as IG/cultists/kroot. It forces your opponent to dedicate some firepower to it. Not the most OP weapon in the game but hey its 15 points.

Don't you feel limited by the short range?

It's how you use it, pal. :lol:

Like I said, you drop it right next to somebody so range is no issue. They either run in fear or they shoot at it. I guess a 3rd option is they ignore it due to its poor stats.

I wouldn't arm every pod with it though.

What would you say about dropping a Command Squad with 4 plasmaguns and Apothecary or just 5 plasmaguns. Preferably with attached Librarian casting some nukes. I think of dropping 3 Pods: Sternguard & Ironclad on turn 1, Command Squad on turn 2. They will be the anvil. The hammer consists of Vindicator, Devastators with plasma cannons and missile launchers, attack bikes, Tacticals and Stormtalons.

Could it work?

What would you say about dropping a Command Squad with 4 plasmaguns and Apothecary or just 5 plasmaguns. Preferably with attached Librarian casting some nukes. I think of dropping 3 Pods: Sternguard & Ironclad on turn 1, Command Squad on turn 2. They will be the anvil. The hammer consists of Vindicator, Devastators with plasma cannons and missile launchers, attack bikes, Tacticals and Stormtalons.

Could it work?

Yes, and very well too. Just be wary of interceptor.

It's expensive, but dropping tigarius with the command squad and casting prescience practically guatantees you 10 plasma hits if you land within 12"

Also it eliminates the worry of gets hot.

If not, then run the apoth to minimise self inflicted casualties lol

There are some concerns. Tigurus cannot cast blessings after landing, he has to wait one turn. I thought about casting Smite, Molten Beam or something causing more direct damage. Also I don't like playing as Ultramarines.

I could swap plasmaguns for either gravguns or flamers (with Salamanders Chapter Tactics). That eliminates the problem with getting hot. Flamers would give my enemy tons of wounds to save, but their short range is a solid drawback. I could try locator beacon on Pod1, so I could precisely place my Command Squad anywhere in 12" from it (6" from locator + 6" from disembarking).

There are some concerns. Tigurus cannot cast blessings after landing, he has to wait one turn. I thought about casting Smite, Molten Beam or something causing more direct damage. Also I don't like playing as Ultramarines.

You can cast blessings when coming out of a pod. Page 7 of the rulebook FAQ:

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement

phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

So Ishagu's TL'ed plasma command is a go.

You can cast blessings when coming out of a pod. Page 7 of the rulebook FAQ:

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement

phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves

rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)

A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose

turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per

page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

So Ishagu's TL'ed plasma command is a go.

Nope;

"On a turn that a psyker arrives from Reserve (see page 124) he can not attempt to manifest any psychic powers that must be manifested at the start of the Movement phase.", BRB, pg.67

Well, Tiggy can still twin-link with Storm of Fire at least right?

Actually, thinking about it, 5 Plasma guns twin-linked through Storm of Fire AND Smite hitting a unit is gonna cause some pain to large MEQ/TEQ squads...

Archived