Thinking about codex successors.

Master Avoghai

Reading the topic, about supplement DW, and more particularly the fact that lots of people would appreciate a codex DA successors, I've started thinking what this codex could look like. Here's the first results of my brainstorming.

1- rules organisation

A rules section well organised is a rules section well understood. For that, I've tried to follow 2 strict rules. All sections are organised the same way (description below) and rules have to remain simple. Things like " for every 3 knights alive at the end of the battle, get one additional VP if those knights are in your deployment zone, 2 VP if they are in the neutral zone and 5 VP if they are in the enemy deployment zone but in this latter case, you must also have killed 2 enemy characters in H2H with a model in termi amour after turn3"... Are just no way.

Creation of a special character must also remain simple : one original artefact, and one special rule, but this is NOT compulsory for EVERY OFFICERS OF EACH CHAPTER.

The only thing that may be compulsory is a chapter Master for each as there aren't 6 Lion Helm... dry.png... To make thing simple specific chapter master should use the Azrael basis to create the profile and special rules and just get a special artefact and a specific special rule.

I don't know if we should also create a special warlords traits table for each. Some would need one, some could only use the DA one.

I think though that each chapter should have a particular chapter relics section composed of 2 shooting weapons, 2 CC weapons, one piece of armour and one relic like an old book/scroll etc.

Here's the kind of organisation I see :

Name : sucessor's name

Special rules : here lie the special rules, additional wargear or restrictions the chapter follow (note that a fluff/game balance justification is needed to understand why those special rules)

Chapter relics : describe here the 6 chapter relics

Special characters : if a special character is created put his profile here.

2- The chapters :

Name : Angels of vengeance.

Special rules :

Hatred incarnate : the Angels of vengeance hates all their foes. This hatred was strong ever since their creation but has become stronger since the chapter nearly disappeared after the siege of San Apolis

The entire chapter has the hatred special rule

Slow reconstruction : the losses have been terrible after San Apolis, and if the chapter eventually succeeded to reconstruct himself, it hasn't the full power of an unforgiving chapter. Particularly concerning the rare tactical dreadnought armour

You cannot use a Belial count as in an AoV army. (Hence could not have the troops termis)

Chapter Relics : No idea for the moment

Special character : I think they should have a 1st company captain that makes company veterans scoring to represent the fact they have lots of vets after the San Apolis campaign but not all have access to TDA. After all thei situation is close from the CF.

Grand Master Cassiel :

Profile same as Azrael.

Wargear :

Artificer Armour

Iron Halo

Sword of vengeance : same as sword of secrets

Endless hatred : Cassiel and the unit he joins suffer of the hatred effect every turn and also follow the crusader special rule

Chapter name : Consecrators

Special rules

Trust only the old relics : as guardians of the unforgiven's most precious relics, the Consecrators are a little dogmatic when it comes to new weapons. Particularly when it comes to the most revered Land Raiders. But they also have lots of old weapons from the pre heresy era

Consecrators cannot select the LR redeemers or Crusaders variants.

They also do not have access to the recent LS vengeance and darkshroud.

However their LR have a capacity transport of 12 and get the vehicle DW upgrade for free.

A tactical or devastator marine may exchange his missile launcher for an autocannon for free.

A squad sergeant may upgrade one of his weapons as master crafted for +10pts.

Chapter relics : no idea yet

Special character :

Chapter Master Suphias

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear :

Tartaros Terminator armour : termi amour with 4+ inv save

Twin-linked bolters

Sword of the origins : same as sword of secrets.

Grand Master of the relics : Each member of one single command squad ( termi or PA) may upgrade one of its weapon (including heavy or special) as master crafted weapons for free.

Chapter name : Guardians of the Covenant

Special rules

Battle sanctuaries : the guardians often recover their tanks with scrolls ans litanies. This tradition, added to the burning faith of the chapter, often grants the vehicles with extra protection as well as the armours of the battle brethren.

All the vehicles have the sanctified hull for free. A vehicle with a sanctified hull cannot suffer more than 1d6 when rolling to penetrate

The GotC follow the FNP (6+) special rule

Always hear the priest brother the guardians of the covenant follow a strict hierarchical and spiritual organisation. Each group of warriors is leaded by a Priest brother who proved his faith and fighting ability along the years of war. Each squads is under the responsibility of a priest who chose the readings of his brothers and also the penitences if necessary."

A squad that has the option to upgrade a sgt to vet sgt MUST do so.

Chapter relics :

Special character : I think a special chaplain would fit nicely to this chapter.

Grand Master Zadkiel

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear :

Artificer armour

Master crafted Pplasma

Sword of Wisdom : same as sword of secrets

Incomparable Faith : Zadkiel and any unit he joins add +1 to their FNP roll and benefit from the Adamantium will special rule.

Chapter name : Disciples of Caliban

Special rules :

Young among the firsts : The Disciples of Caliban is a relatively new chapter and therefore could not have benefited from the colossal armoury of the Legion, that's why their 1st company is composed of deathwing veterans in power armour. However Anaziel made sure that they profit from the last creations of the adeptus of Mars to fulfil their secret mission

The DoC cannot use a count ad Belial

The company veterans and the command squads veterans have fearless and may replace their plasma gun by grav gun or their combi plasma for a combi grav gun for free.

A tactical marine may replace his plasma gun for a grav gun for free.

Special character : we could imagine that the master of RW could not benefit from an old jet bike for the same reason they can't have lots of TDA, hence we could create a MoRW on a normal bike.

Grand Master Mahaion

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear

Shield of Anaziel : same as Lion's helm

Artificer armour

Bolter grenade launcher with rad grenades

Sword of Heritage : same as sword of secrets

I'm here for you : all Mahaion's CC attacks are precision attacks

Chapter Name : Angels of Redemption

Special rules :

Don't trust us for we don't trust you : "The reputation of the Angels of Redemption to leave a battle is feared by their allies"

The only battle brothers of the AoR are the other unforgiven chapters. Other imperium allies are at best allies of circumstances.

Chapter Relic

Special character : maybe a librarian who may detect a fallen's warp presence.

Grand Master Haamiah

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear :

Terminator armour

Sword of Redemption : same as sword of secrets

Lion's breath : range 24" S4 AP3 Assault3 traitor's bane

Icon of forgiveness : same as Lion's helm

Chapter's name : Angels of Absolution.

Special rules :

We are here for your repent : The dogma of the Angels of Absolution states that the Emperor has already forgiven to those who remained loyal to their primarch. However, the Angels of Absolution pursue every trace of corruption in the Imperium and cannot stand to face a traitor.

The Angels of Absolution replace Grim Resolve by the Hatred (chaos space marines)special rule.

Burn the heretic ! The Angels of Absolution believe in the redemptor power of fire.

Any tactical or a veteran squad may replace its heavy bolter by a heavy flamer.

Special characters :

Chapter Master Tahamian

Profile Same as Azrael

Wargear

Artificer armour

Teleport homer

Bolter- heavy flamer

Sword of Absolution : same as sword of secrets

Repent now and die quickly : Tahamian and his command squad's CC attacks have the traitor's bane special rule.

As you've seen this work is uncomplete , hence all suggestions are welcome.

Posted · Hidden by Brother Tyler, September 13, 2013 - Double post
Hidden by Brother Tyler, September 13, 2013 - Double post

Reading the topic, about supplement DW, and more particularly the fact that lots of people would appreciate a codex DA successors, I've started thinking what this codex could look like. Here's the first results of my brainstorming.

1- rules organisation

A rules section well organised is a rules section well understood. For that, I've tried to follow 2 strict rules. All sections are organised the same way (description below) and rules have to remain simple. Things like " for every 3 knights alive at the end of the battle, get one additional VP if those knights are in your deployment zone, 2 VP if they are in the neutral zone and 5 VP if they are in the enemy deployment zone but in this latter case, you must also have killed 2 enemy characters in H2H with a model in termi amour after turn3"... Are just no way.

Creation of a special character must also remain simple : one original artefact, and one special rule, but this is NOT compulsory for EVERY OFFICERS OF EACH CHAPTER.

The only thing that may be compulsory is a chapter Master for each as there aren't 6 Lion Helm... dry.png... To make thing simple specific chapter master should use the Azrael basis to create the profile and special rules and just get a special artefact and a specific special rule.

I don't know if we should also create a special warlords traits table for each. Some would need one, some could only use the DA one.

I think though that each chapter should have a particular chapter relics section composed of 2 shooting weapons, 2 CC weapons, one piece of armour and one relic like an old book/scroll etc.

Here's the kind of organisation I see :

Name : sucessor's name

Special rules : here lie the special rules, additional wargear or restrictions the chapter follow (note that a fluff/game balance justification is needed to understand why those special rules)

Chapter relics : describe here the 6 chapter relics

Special characters : if a special character is created put his profile here.

2- The chapters :

Name : Angels of vengeance.

Special rules :

Hatred incarnate : the Angels of vengeance hates all their foes. This hatred was strong ever since their creation but has become stronger since the chapter nearly disappeared after the siege of San Apolis

The entire chapter has the hatred special rule

Slow reconstruction : the losses have been terrible after San Apolis, and if the chapter eventually succeeded to reconstruct himself, it hasn't the full power of an unforgiving chapter. Particularly concerning the rare tactical dreadnought armour

You cannot use a Belial count as in an AoV army. (Hence could not have the troops termis)

Chapter Relics : No idea for the moment

Special character : I think they should have a 1st company captain that makes company veterans scoring to represent the fact they have lots of vets after the San Apolis campaign but not all have access to TDA. After all thei situation is close from the CF.

Grand Master Cassiel :

Profile same as Azrael.

Wargear :

Artificer Armour

Iron Halo

Sword of vengeance : same as sword of secrets

Endless hatred : Cassiel and the unit he joins suffer of the hatred effect every turn and also follow the crusader special rule

Chapter name : Consecrators

Special rules

Trust only the old relics : as guardians of the unforgiven's most precious relics, the Consecrators are a little dogmatic when it comes to new weapons. Particularly when it comes to the most revered Land Raiders. But they also have lots of old weapons from the pre heresy era

Consecrators cannot select the LR redeemers or Crusaders variants.

They also do not have access to the recent LS vengeance and darkshroud.

However their LR have a capacity transport of 12 and get the vehicle DW upgrade for free.

A tactical or devastator marine may exchange his missile launcher for an autocannon for free.

A squad sergeant may upgrade one of his weapons as master crafted for +10pts.

Special character :

Chapter Master Suphias

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear :

Tartaros Terminator armour : termi amour with 4+ inv save

Twin-linked bolters

Sword of the origins : same as sword of secrets.

Grand Master of the relics : Each member of one single command squad ( termi or PA) may upgrade one of its weapon (including heavy or special) as master crafted weapons for free.

Chapter name : Guardians of the Covenant

Special rules

Battle sanctuaries : the guardians often recover their tanks with scrolls ans litanies. This tradition, added to the burning faith of the chapter, often grants the vehicles with extra protection as well as the armours of the battle brethren.

All the vehicles have the sanctified hull for free. A vehicle with a sanctified hull cannot suffer more than 1d6 when rolling to penetrate

The GotC follow the FNP (6+) special rule

Always hear the priest brother the guardians of the covenant follow a strict hierarchical and spiritual organisation. Each group of warriors is leaded by a Priest brother who proved his faith and fighting ability along the years of war. Each squads is under the responsibility of a priest who chose the readings of his brothers and also the penitences if necessary."

A squad that has the option to upgrade a sgt to vet sgt MUST do so.

Chapter relics :

Special character : I think a special chaplain would fit nicely to this chapter.

Grand Master Zadkiel

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear :

Artificer armour

Master crafted Pplasma

Sword of Wisdom : same as sword of secrets

Incomparable Faith : Zadkiel and any unit he joins add +1 to their FNP roll and benefit from the Adamantium will special rule.

Chapter name : Disciples of Caliban

Special rules :

Young among the firsts : The Disciples of Caliban is a relatively new chapter and therefore could not have benefited from the colossal armoury of the Legion, that's why their 1st company is composed of deathwing veterans in power armour. However Anaziel made sure that they profit from the last creations of the adeptus of Mars to fulfil their secret mission

The DoC cannot use a count ad Belial

The company veterans and the command squads veterans have fearless and may replace their plasma gun by grav gun or their combi plasma for a combi grav gun for free.

A tactical marine may replace his plasma gun for a grav gun for free.

Special character : we could imagine that the master of RW could not benefit from an old jet bike for the same reason they can't have lots of TDA, hence we could create a MoRW on a normal bike.

Grand Master Mahaion

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear

Shield of Anaziel : same as Lion's helm

Artificer armour

Bolter grenade launcher with rad grenades

Sword of Heritage : same as sword of secrets

I'm here for you : all Mahaion's CC attacks are precision attacks

Chapter Name : Angels of Redemption

Special rules :

Don't trust us for we don't trust you : "The reputation of the Angels of Redemption to leave a battle is feared by their allies"

The only battle brothers of the AoR are the other unforgiven chapters. Other imperium allies are at best allies of circumstances.

Chapter Relic

Special character : maybe a librarian who may detect a fallen's warp presence.

Grand Master Haamiah

Profile same as Azrael

Wargear :

Terminator armour

Sword of Redemption : same as sword of secrets

Lion's breath : range 24" S4 AP3 Assault3 traitor's bane

Icon of forgiveness : same as Lion's helm

Chapter's name : Angels of Absolution.

Special rules :

We are here for your repent : The dogma of the Angels of Absolution states that the Emperor has already forgiven to those who remained loyal to their primarch. However, the Angels of Absolution pursue every trace of corruption in the Imperium and cannot stand to face a traitor.

The Angels of Absolution replace Grim Resolve by the Hatred (chaos space marines)special rule.

Burn the heretic ! The Angels of Absolution believe in the redemptor power of fire.

Any tactical or a veteran squad may replace its heavy bolter by a heavy flamer.

Special characters :

Chapter Master Tahamian

Profile Same as Azrael

Wargear

Artificer armour

Teleport homer

Bolter- heavy flamer

Sword of Absolution : same as sword of secrets

Repent now and die quickly : Tahamian and his command squad's CC attacks have the traitor's bane special rule.

As you've seen this work is uncomplete , hence all suggestions are welcome.

According to the Siege of Vraks, the Angels of Absolution sometimes field members of the 1st Co in power armour.  To represent this, I think it would be neat if AoA Company Vets had the option of gaining Inner Circle for +x points per model.

I've recently got the last FW books but hadn't read them all yet and haven' even thought it could be DA things in them (the 4th ed bad treatment of the DA left traces <_< ) ...silly me...

I'm going to read that to get names and see if the traits that I've defined fit them well.

Thanks for the input!

Siege of Vraks Part 1 and 2 have some Dark Angels info, and the Angels of Absolution become more prominent in the final parts of the war, in Siege of Vraks Part 3.

If it's enough of a fluff basis, according to the Deathwatch RPG the successors have the following relics with my thought of how they could be implemented: 

Angels of Redemption - The Bastion Unwavering, a massive storm shield that makes it more difficult to attack the wielder.  (Maybe re-roll armor save,and grant a USR?)

Angels of Vengeance - Anmael's Reach, a storm bolter that grants some kind of morale bonus so long as the wielder doesn't retreat from battle. (Some kind of bonus so long as you don't refuse a challenge, or fail to engage the enemy in some way?)

Consecrators - Radiant Arrow, a Plasma Gun that does not overheat, jam, or be affected by machine curse or any other such power that would cause it to fail.

Guardians of the Covenant - Record of Oblivion, a record of civilizations brought down by the Imperium, that improves the morale of space marines (+1 Ld and Adamantium Will for SM within 12"?)

Angels of Absolution - Redemption's Lament, a power sword that is strong but has some mysterious history that makes the Angels of Absolution uneasy around it. (A power word with some bonuses, that gives a penalty to morale or Ld of nearby DA models?)

As a long time Angels of Absolution player the ideas presented seem to come out of left field.

What we know about the AoA is really limited.

- They have 1st Company Vets in Power Armor (Vraks)

- They have Mortis Dreads (Space Marine FW book)

- All 10 Companies are currently in the Eye of Terror (Eye of Terror)

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Angels_of_Absolution

I saw a pre-print copy of the 4th Edition C:DA that actually named the AoA 1st and 2nd Companies (Shriven (DW) and Wardens (RW)). I wish I had a hard copy of that since no one seemed to have noticed that and I have no evidence. haha. :(

But yeah, I guess I can sort of see where you get the Hatred idea more so than the Flame bit. Cleansing flame is cool and all but really, it would just leave their white armor all covered in the soot of the Fallen. ;)

Archived