Most useless upgrade - or have I missed something?

Validar

Hail and well met to all the tactical masterminds that roam this place.

Me and my friends had a good laugh yesterday. We took a look at the Master of the Forge and the rules for Servo Arms. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Servo Arm is now a melee weapon you can choose to use, like any other piece of wargear (unlike former codex, where the servo arm attacked on its own).

Not only was this hilarius because my friend's MotF was sporting nothing less than a Thunder Hammer, but also because it is specifically stated under the entry that he has the option of buying a power axe (which is already available through the melee weapons list, buuuut nevermind that).

Why would a MotF ever, ever, ever, ever have a power axe?

- He gets an additional attack from having the harness, which has 2 servo arms, so no argument there.

- the 2x strength will always be better, no matter how you twist and turn it. (agreed, at str 1 they both allow 2 str)

- they are both ini 1 weapons

- though axes are ap2, the servo arms are ap1

Is there ever a reason to buy a power axe as a motf? Or is it just something there for those who brought the model with a power axe? Or, even better, is this trolling on a codex level?

You lose the servo-harness if you take a conversion beamer. Taking it would have an effect in that instance. And all the stock miniatures have them, obviously, so they need to support the option.

It does allow swapping out the boltgun, which isn't possible with the Wargear Lists that specify bolt pistol/melee weapon.

Overall though, that entire page is just the latest in a long line of badly thought out Techmarine entries. I'm particularly enjoying having to pay for a power axe just so I have something to swap for a thunder hammer to make one of my miniatures legal.

My vote for the most useless upgrade goes to being able to take a storm shield for your captain/chapter master at extra cost when they already come with Iron Halos. This effectively means I can't model a storm shield on (as a counts as iron halo or as itself) unless I pay points for something I don't need/has no use

Well the shield does get you a slightly better invuln. I'd cast my vote to the Chapter Champion combat blade option as most useless because it only exists because of the ultramarine chapter champion.

Well the shield does get you a slightly better invuln. I'd cast my vote to the Chapter Champion combat blade option as most useless because it only exists because of the ultramarine chapter champion.

Wait what? You get a 3++ save from a storm shield? If that's the case I retract my statement

Wait what? You get a 3++ save from a storm shield? If that's the case I retract my statement

Thats the only reason anyone's ever used em.

Where have you been for the last edition? :)

Back on to the point of the tech marine gang I need to actually remove my power axe from my one dude because I don't want it anymore, not sure what to give him though. Wish he maintained the old just start with a power weapon because why not but I digress.

Archived