Grav Rifle SMB Command Squad w/ DA Biker Librarian

L30n1d4s

I think this may be one of the new competitive builds for tournaments:

-Khan with Moondrakken

-White Scar Chapter Master with Bike, AA, Burning Blade, and Shield Eternal

-Command Squad with Bikes and 5 Grav Rifles

-Allied DA Biker Librarian with Power Field Generator/Mace of Redemption

This squad ends up having:

-15 BS4 (re-rollable from Prescience) Grav Rifle shots at 12" move + 18" range per turn... should easily eliminate most MEQ or TEQ squads in a single volley

-Up to 16 TLed Bolter shots for targets with low armor saves

-Scout, Hit and Run, +1 Jink Save, Ignore Difficult Terrain, Fearless (Inner Circle from DA Librarian)

-3+ Save, T5, 4++ save (PFG from DA Libby), 3++ cover save when Turbo-boosting

-5+ Deny the Witch due to Libby

In close combat:

-All close combat attacks re-rollable (due to Prescience)

-Enemy has a good chance of being Initiative 1 due to Grav Rifle Concussive effects

-8-10 Hammer of Wrath attacks on the charge

-Command Squad -- 15 S4 AP- attacks on the charge

-Khan -- 5 S5 AP3 (ID on rolls of 6) attacks on the charge

-DA Librarian -- 4 S7 AP3 attacks on the charge

-WS Chapter Master -- 5 S7 AP2 attacks on the charge

-Chapter Master can tank firepower with his 2+/3++, 4W, and Eternal Warrior, or Look Out, Sir! it off to someone else as appropriate.

-Entire Squad has 14 wounds, all at T5, so should be difficult to Dakka down.

I wouldn't put that much into one squad. I think the libby and the squad would be great by itself. The libby's PFG gives them a good enough invuln save, i think, and in combat would give the enemy a 4++ too. I believe this would be a shooting only squad.

And exactly how much does all that come to? It's got to be an absolutely ridiculous amount of points. If it were me, I'd try to split the roles of this unit into two different units.

First unit is simply the command squad with the DA libby. They're White Scars so they'll get Hit & Run by default anyway. These guys are shooty terrors. You don't want them in CC. If they get locked in combat, run away and shoot something else.

Second unit would be Khan and either a regular bike squad, or if you have the points, a unit of 4-5 Ravenwing Black Knights with at least one Ravenwing Grenade Launcher and a power axe on the Huntmaster. Still quite shooty, but nasty in CC too especially with the grenades to soften things up on the way in.

The real problem with this pairing is that in allying with Ravenwing, you need at least one DA troop and you aren't going to be getting anything but a tac or scout squad so you're cutting down on the number of bikes you can take.

You're doing what I will be doing!

Librarian goes with the Command Squad (barebones, just the grav-guns and the bikes).

Your own HQ should join the unit of Black Knights that you're obviously allying in (because you're doing that, right? One of the best units in Codex: Dark Angels).

If you are planning to get into CC, then a Power Field Generator is NOT what you want to be sticking on any of your characters, as you will be giving the enemy an invulnerable save. A more killy build would possibly be a DA Interrogator Chaplain with the Mace of Redemption, with his +1W, +1I and +1A over the Librarian.

An alternative is to go with a Ravenwing Primary Detachment and an Allied White Scar bike force, as if you put Sammael attached to a WS biker unit, his Skilled Rider stacks with Born in the saddle, giving them an extra +1 to their Jink save, and his AP2 sword and Eternal Warrior will help. You will also get access to all of the lovely Fast Attack toys in the DA codex, without the allied limit - so Black Knights, Dark Shroud etc

Archived