Chapter Champion options question

Son of Carnelian

Why would the chapter champion replace his boltgun with a close combat weapon when he already comes with a bolt pistol? Why not just arm him with a bolt pistol as it says he has and get both the bonus attack and the shooting potential? I don't have the BRB accessible at the moment, but I don't see the advantage. Can someone explain? 

Sure- if you take a thunder hammer the Bolt Pistol does you no good as far as extra attacks goes, but if you dont care about the rapid firing non assaulting bolter.... you can switch it out for a CCW and take your bonus attacks at the initiative instead of the thunderhammer attacks when it suits you, such as say.... vs ork Nobz with power claws.

actually, they faq'd the ability to choose to not use a stat'ed weapon to instead use a basic ccw. You can't choose to not use a power axe/pf and instead use a pistol to attack at initiative. it stinks hard for some characters like Dante.

But the reason for that choice i. the codex is that its really just for making cool looking models playable. no taxtical reason.

Can someone explain?

It's nothing to do with rules. The Ultramarines Chapter Champion miniature has a combat blade instead of a boltgun. It's literally just to support that figure.

Works for me, converted mysword bretheren into honour guard. Had the old metal ones so some have chainsword and power weapon. No need to buy new stuff, lol.

Archived