9th Company tactical marines?

darkangel1030

Hey all, I'm currently working on painting up my DA force, and I decided to make a contingent of 9th Co. marines with RW and DW support. I plan to use standard tactical squads with a heavy and special weapon per squad, but to use the devestator decal on the right shoulder as they are devestator reserve. Would anyone see this as a confusing issue game wise, as long as I was sure to point out beforehand they are a tac squad?

My reasoning is even though they are devs, all marines are proficient with a bolter and other special weapons. Thanks , take care.

Tabletop wise it's absolutely fine. Fluff wise it's illegal. The 9th Company is a Devastator Company, meaning no special weapons allowed but if anyone tries to pull you on that they're just being cheesy. I personally think it's cool to see other companies being represented and the best part is, if you have enough heavy weapons, you can literally play them as a Devastator Company in Apocalypse!

It wouldn't be confusing. I'd also point out that marines are moved from the reserve companies to fill gaps in the battle companies, so you could explain it away as these being marines who are new to the company and are either temporary reinforcements or haven't had their armour repainted yet.

Thanks to all for your replies. The intent for my force is that part of the 9th is en route either to or from the rock when a request for military assistance is received. I don't think it matters if they're a dev/tac/or assult company, marines are(well should be I think) flexible enough to adapt to varied situations. I don't see them going " Well we can't do that we'renot a tac company." :)

Anyone who objects deserves two things:

1.  a %^#* cookie for recognizing the company markings (it's not exactly 3rd or 5th, the two most common ones.  Even 4th company  is a WAAAAAAY distant 3rd)

2.  A swift kick in the sweet spot for being a &*%(@# about enforcing fluff on the tabletop.

• 5 months later...

As already stated, there your models and from a game point of view a red stripe on a cream background or a quartered cream, black and green knee pad doesn't really matter. from a fluff point of view yes technically they should all be devastator squads but they are proficient with all weapon systems, more so as I see the devastators as a progression from hot headed marine too a cool head killer from afar.

I'm just making my 9th company now to join the 5th but I'm going totally left field and making them all Heavy support squads from the HH book 1. this gives me the option to field 10 Heavy weapons per squad, or 9 if the sgt carries a bolter.

Archived