500 point list painted

Pyro X

I got a campiagn starting up and we are doing a progressive system. I was thinking about doing all ravenwing but I thought it would give me a reason to paint up my green stuff I never use. Here is what I have for my 1st game. I also made a display board to try and help with getting extra points in having my army painted etc. I think the effects are good and will try and get some more pics of the banners I made from green stuff(the other files were too large).

HQ

gallery_62261_7149_666061.jpg

Tac squad 1

gallery_62261_7149_1247919.jpg

tac squad 2

gallery_62261_7149_1151467.jpg

scouts

gallery_62261_7149_771622.jpg

(and camo cloaks)

gallery_62261_7149_617845.jpg

Rhinos for both squads

gallery_62261_7149_861396.jpg

the banners made from green stuff

gallery_62261_7149_328646.jpg

and finally everything on the display board. I put magnets into each model and washers into the board itself so I wouldn't have to worry about them being on the board when transporting them.

gallery_62261_7149_53980.jpg

gallery_62261_7149_1525835.jpg

gallery_62261_7149_1608033.jpg

Very nicely done!

I especially like the idea of the board, magnets to hold them is great, the banner greenskills, and those scout weapons and cloaks look sweet and very different.

Great stuff.

Have fun playing and expanding on them.

thumbsup.gif

Cod

Excellent stuff. Particularly like the Scouts camo cloaks and the three banners.

Everything looks awesome sauce on the presentation base.

Best of luck in the competition. Let us know how you get on.

Oh and I know this isn't the Army List section, but post your list here anyway for conpleteness sake.

Cheers

I

whats does it say on the rhino...

also great work

One says the first legion the honored sons of the lion. The 2nd says we are the emperors waith

Capitano, in case you were wondering, it's the from the Forgeworld DA etched brass. There are a few bits from that used on these rhinos and they look really effective. There's even some nice simple weathering on them. Great work Pyro X. 

sorry I forgot to update this, the list I'm running is:

7x tac squad, Plasma Cannon, Sgt with Plasma Pistol and Meta Bomb

5x tac squad, PLasma Cannon, Sgt with Plasma Pistol

5x Scout squad, 4 Sniper Rifles, 1 Missle Launcher w/ Flakk Missles, 5 Camo Cloaks

Lvl 2 Librarian, Spells TBD

I played in the legue game today and wow, that list worked really well.

I went up vs eldar:

Spirit seer

5m wrathguard (shooty)

wave serpent

5m dire avengers

war walker

the mission type was the relic.

I deployed and took 1st turn.

turn 1

my snipers was in a ruined building watching over the relic while the 2 rhinos gave cover to 1 another and took shoots (missing badly) at the war walker.

his turn he moved closer to the relic with his avengers, move walker and wave serpent to my rhinos.

turn 2

librarian let the snipers reroll to hit (from divinition) and killed the full 5m squad of avengers. the 2 rhinos / tac squads missed the walker yet again.

His wrathguard disembarked after moving and killed a rhino, then the walker killed 2 marines from the 5m squad.

turn 3

my snipers left the building and moved toward the relic, took snap shots at the wave serpent and missed. The 7m tac and librarian killed the 5m wrathguard unit and seer (cast the spell the make him reroll saves) then the 3m unit killed the war walker.

His lone unit, the wave serpent, shoot at the 3m tac squad, missed then we called the game.

lessons learned:

more troops is good.

more shoots is better.

toughness isn't always amazing, its still killable with str 4 weapons, poison, sturnguard, snipers etc. (and it costs lots).

at low points, filling out with troops is just the way to go esp because only 2/3rds of the fight are objectives. you don't have to kill more to win.

the next fight is 750 and I think I'll keep the same list as before, make the 7m tac into a 9m tac, add a 5m dev (1 RL/Flakk, 1 plasma cannon), and a aegis defence line with quad gun.

thoughts??

Awesome work on the Armies on Parade entry.. I flubbed the base of mine so didn't manage to get my Deathwing in, but a question.. I understand you made the emblems on your banners, which is cool, but where do you get the banners from?  All the ones I've seen aren't blank, they all have some kind of iconography on them and I love the look of the plain squad banners painted in company colours with the squad number..

Nice game!  Toughness is indeed less protection than an actual save...but it's not terrible, either.  The +1T for riding a bike is pretty painful for small arms fire!  Your opponent's real problem, as you identified, was a lack of bodies.  He was running (~one infantry per 50 points) the equivalent of a terminator list...and wraithguard are pretty close, but dire avengers?  In any case, even deathwing would be a dumb list to run at 500 points.  Actually, come to think of it...in that scenario...you could take belial and seven terminators with zero upgrades, then deepstrike them on top of the relic (no scatter) on the bottom of turn two...and then dare the enemy to take it from you.  Or, if there's one shooty unit that's dangerous to the termies, drop on top of it, instead, and charge it on turn three, then take the objective...but, still, HUGE risk.  You're right that the smart choice in a low points game is to take more bodies.  You can get ten guardsmen with an autocannon for 60 points...times four is 240.  Add two platoon command squads and a company command squad, and you still have points for a good variety of special weapons across your 55 man army....or, with a much lower density of special weapons, a fifth autocannon squad.

For your 750 list, I'd skip the ADL,  you're still at low enough points that enemy fliers (non-scoring, and expensive...like tanks, only worse) hurt him more than they hurt you, so air defense shouldn't be a big worry yet.  Instead, take a few more bodies in the devastator squad, give it a third weapon (a second flak missile, if you want to replace the ADL's anti-air.  At least a flak launcher can also shoot frag and krak!), and spend any more points bumping up the five man tactical squad.

Honestly, I'd go with more bodies, and 2 missle launchers (with flakk upgrade) and 2 plas cannons (or one plas and one heavy bolter) in a dev squad.  More bodies does indeed = more shots.  The weapons choice(s) for the devs I've suggested gives you fairly decent flexibility.

Also, don't forget that the scout with missle launcher can also take flakk missles, if you want to burn 10 points on him doing so.

I'll do some looking to see what I can fill out the dev squad + others for the cost of the ADL. I think alot of people may bring in small fliers (guard and storm talons) because they are hard to kill for most people in low points. I made the banners completely from green stuff. I'll take some pics as I make the next few in the up coming days so you can see how to do it.

Archived