Iron Hands- Land Raider vs Storm Raven

Arufel87

I'm still a fan of the Land Raider.  The reason is that even with protection from Ceramite Plating, Skyfire requirements, jink saves, IWND, and a Techmarine inside to fix it, it's still just an AV12 HP3 vehicle.  One solid hit from a lascannon or missile launcher and not only is your Storm Raven dead, so is everything inside.  The Raider is tougher and losing it doesn't automatically doom everyone inside.

True, I was only considering it because every time I have proxied a storm raven it always goes down to a lot of S7 skyfire shots rather than a load of snapshot lascannons. I thought IWND could remedy that to an extent. On the subject of land raiders I'm still stuck between the redeemer and the crusader... I often run 2 vindis and I like the extra range on the crusader but the redeemer flamestorm cannons are very tempting too! Which do you use and why?

I'll echo what others have said. One airplane, by itself, or even among many tanks, will attract all the Skyfire in the enemy army. One tank among many tanks, will draw less. So if you already have lots of tanks the landraider will perform better. Furthermore, if you intend to transport things, the land raider is less risky.

All that said, you might want to consider multiple

Stormravens. Right now, a flying vehicle has certain advantages over a ground one in that it may target anything, but may only be targeted (effectively) in turn by a smaller subset of weapons. If you can achieve air supremecy, either because the enemy brings no air or you can kill it, you may find your air vehicles have an uncontested shooting gallery.

People are more prepared for the Stormraven these days, I find. A Land Raider is sometimes a surprise that the opponent has not prepared for and can only take out with 1 or 2 units that you can easily stop or prevent from reaching the LR.

I'd say go LRC if you want consistent firepower, a sturdy brick, and a transport, and Stormraven if you just want a powerful gunship.

Land Raider Achillies with a Techmarine inside.

AV 14, Smoke, Extra Armour, Ferromantic Invulnerability, It Will Not Die and repair weapons or another hull point as required.

Not going to go away soon. Plus, it can haul 5 Sternguard as well should anything get too close.....

Archived