What to build?

SeBM

Hey guys, I just received a Ravenwing Attack Squadron and a box of Deathwing Knights/Deathwing Command Squad and I'm facing a dilemma. I'm not sure if I should build some Knights or a Command Squad. Here the rest of my list so far. I'm aiming for a multiwing army.

- Azrael

- Librarian

- 10 man DV Tac Squad with Plasma Gun and Plasma Canon

- 3 RAS Bikers with Plasma Gun

- 6 RAS Bikers with Attack Bike (multi melta?) and Typhoon Land Speeder 

- 5 DV Deathwing Terminators with Autocanon and Chainfist (Thinking of converting one of the guy to gave a Thunderhammer, a Stormshield and a Cyclone Missile Launcher

So who do I build the Attack Bike and the Deathwing Knights/Deathwing Command Squad?

Thank you guys for your advice!

Ohhh completely forgot about that part wallbash.gif . I could get one if it meant the better build, but as I like the DWK models, I'll be happy to build them as such biggrin.png.

Is the Thunderhammer, SS, CML Terminator a good idea???

What about the Attack Bike build???

I will echo Knights as well. This will give you some serious Close Combat hurt

If  you do decide on Command Squad, remember, the unit does not have a Sergeant. DW Command is 1 Champion, 1 Apothecary, 1 Standard Bearer, and 2 normal TDA you can arm however the Command List says. Despite the photos on the box, and in the DA Codex, the Command Squad doesn't have a Sergeant.

No, just no...

This is the one thing with our codex that pisses me off that it is still legal... I hated it when it first came out and I hate it still...

Just don't...

With the models you have, you don't have any extra Terminators to do it anyway. Unless you Magnetize the Assault Cannon Term or something. Just set it aside for when you get more Terminators.

Me personally, I am moving towards all melta for your bike questions (cause I havent had to deal with a lot of termies yet where plasma would come in handy) and because I run Black Knights and that is a load of more reliable plasma.  

The Speeder is a different question however.  I am running the traditional Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter setup on both of mine with an eye towards horde control...  (I run them next to Sam with his TLAC and TLHB.

I'll echo what has been said - go for the Deathwing Knights. They'll give you some proper close combat oomph, and you'll get some real use out of those in-built Teleport Homers. They also look freaking awesome. smile.png

For the RAS I recommend double melta, since you are already packing plasma with your Tacticals. Also, multi-melta without a doubt for the Attack Bike.

Have fun with your DAs!

What about the Attack Bike build???

I like the TH/SS/CML, it's one advantage we do get, remember you can only have one heavy weapon per 5 guys. So assault cannon OR CML.

Melta all the way for the AB.

DM

I like the TH/SS/CML, it's one advantage we do get,

DM

No, sorry, that is NOT our advantage...

The CML is the only long range fire support weapon that can be given to a Deathwing army. THAT is its purpose... The only reason you are giving TH/SS is to turn it into a Bunker with 3++ invuln... IT is pure cheese, and should never have existed in the first place...

The DA Advantage is that we can field whole armies of Terminators, or Bikes, or combine them all together with normal Power Armor Marines.

I really wish they would FAQ TH/SS/CML away... This is one remnant of the old Codices that needs to be finally put to death... A loud messy death... I'll sell tickets.

EDIT

To clarify, I feel this way about ANY CC weapon with CML... The CML option should take its upgrade slot. So having a CML limits the Terminator to only Storm Bolter and Power Fist. Or actually, should be the same type of entry as the other heavy weapons. Just because it is on top of the terminator and not hand held doesn't mean it still isn't a heavy weapon.

Here is the 1400 pts list I came up with to start playing some games with my brothers:

HQs:

- Azrael (215pts)

- Librarian (105pts): Melta Bomb, Psyker Level 2

Elites:

- Deathwing Knights (235pts)

Troops:

- Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (245pts), Assault Cannon, Chainfist

- Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (100pts), 2 Ravenwing Biker, Plasmagun

* Ravenwing Sergeant: Chain Sword, Melta Bombs

- Ravenwing Attack Squadron (Troops) (306pts), 5x Ravenwing Biker

* Ravenwing Sergeant, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs

- Attack Bike

Multi Melta

- Land Speeder

Multi Melta, Typhoon Missile Launcher

- Tactical Squad (190pts), Plasma Cannon, Plasmagun, 9x Tactical Marine

* Sergeant

Chain Sword, Melta Bombs, Plasma Pistol

So it's all the models I have built into a list I feel isn't particularly strong or weak, probably something of a casual list. I took every melta bomb I could because I expect to face Riptides and Death Knights so I figured that if it ever comes to blows, it will greatly help. I also needed to fill in some points to get to 1400.

As for expanding the army, I really have no idea what to do as of yet. I'm feeling pretty weak against air, but none of the armies I play use any as of yet. I'd like to put the Librarian on a bike with a PFG, maybe drop the 3 man RAS to free some points to include a RWCS with Dakka Pole and maybe add another Tac Squad.

Im quite suprised about the venom directed against cml cc terminators. I think its cool and unique and seperates us a little more from other units. Cheese is 3 helldrakes etc, not a cyclone or a thunder hammer / stormshield :/

I didn't expect that reaction about the CML/TH/SS either but I'm not planning to use one as of yet so I don't need to worry about it for now :D.

That being said, I was wondering how to build a multi-wing army and use the Devastation Banner. I seem have problem getting a decent amount of bolter fire.

Using the basis of the army I have, how would you guys do it? With the theme I have going on, would you guys include it at all???

Well consider something like this

librarian lvl 2

command squad + apoth and banner

Razorback

terminator squad

tac squad plasma gun plasma cannon rhino

tac squad plasma gun plasma cannon rhino

ravenwing squad with 6 bikes and an attack bike and speeder if you can get it.

devestator squad, lascannon, 3x ml

thats somewhere around 2000 points. Its one of the lists i use most often, it has 4 tac squads worth of bolters. The idea is the tacs drive up and unload in the first turn and form a strong midfield domination force. get them in cover, keep a guy within 6" of the razorback and blast anything that gets close to you with bolter/plasma death.

the devestators have a bs5 lascannon and 3 bs4 missile launchers for tank hunting. the bikes would ideally be melta but plasma is ok, their job is to take down something big and nasty and hurt some tanks along the way. the deathwing are there to deep strike down behind the enemy on a weak flank and cause trouble with their twin linked everything on the turn they arrive.

Archived