Sternguard - usage

Scarrie

As a fairly small example of Chapter Tactics mixing things up a bit, I actually used the normal bolt rounds on my Sternguard the other day for the first time ever.

Shooting at Pathfinders caught in the open meant my normal rounds were killing on 3's so the re-roll 1's from Bolter Drill was worth using.

I see no one has noticed the wording with vulcans melta rules...

P112 - "The Forgefather: If He'stan is your warlord, all melta guns, combi meltas and multi meltas wielded by models in his detachment have the Master-crafted special rule"

So, guys and girls, salamanders get master crafted combi weapons, not just melta components, until an FAQ comes out that is. I think 10 points for a master crafted combi melta is a good deal, dont you?

ZP

I see no one has noticed the wording with vulcans melta rules...

P112 - "The Forgefather: If He'stan is your warlord, all melta guns, combi meltas and multi meltas wielded by models in his detachment have the Master-crafted special rule"

So, guys and girls, salamanders get master crafted combi weapons, not just melta components, until an FAQ comes out that is. I think 10 points for a master crafted combi melta is a good deal, dont you?

ZP

That master crafted rule goes with the bolter part of the combi melta too right? Extra perk for Sternguard taking combi's.

I take ten of them, load them up with combi-whatever and drop pod them into rapid fire range of whatever I'm afraid of.

If I'm feeling really froggy I grab nine, give them a Bare Bones Librarian with Divination powers (the primaris power gives you rerolls to hit) and pod them, again, pointing them at whatever I'm most scared of (within reason, of course, they aren't gonna solo the farsight blob or anything).  But they are my option when it absolutely, positively has to be dead now, and I accept no substitute.

The standard option - 5 guys with combiweapons in a droppod - is still decent if your metagame has a lot of big vehicles or MCs, but even that isn't so effective seeing as how easy it is to spread one's army to make it impossible for a droppod to come within rapid fire range. 

In all honesty, I've never actually found a way to effectively use sternguard. I'm currently toying with the idea of putting an 8-9 men squad in a land raider with a kitted-out captain with an auspex keeping them company. The idea is to have a good versatile unit that can be used to counter-attack as well as charge the enemy lines, while keeping them cheap (my 8 guys unit comes out at 206 points I think).

I take ten of them, load them up with combi-whatever and drop pod them into rapid fire range of whatever I'm afraid of.

If I'm feeling really froggy I grab nine, give them a Bare Bones Librarian with Divination powers (the primaris power gives you rerolls to hit) and pod them, again, pointing them at whatever I'm most scared of (within reason, of course, they aren't gonna solo the farsight blob or anything).  But they are my option when it absolutely, positively has to be dead now, and I accept no substitute.

Would be nice to do that with the Libby, unfortunately basic Librarians in the Codex do not have access to Divination powers, only Tigurius does.

Would be nice to do that with the Libby, unfortunately basic Librarians in the Codex do not have access to Divination powers, only Tigurius does.

Well, :cuss. I've done that three games now, and neither myself nor my opponent has noticed until now (and two of them were also playing C:SM)! Hmm, that does make things a little more complicated...still not sure it's a bad idea to do it with Tiggy.

I'm still very new to psychic powers, being BT and all.

Archived