Ravenwing and Dreadnaughts?

Chaos Lord Shamrockius

Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to Dark Angels having previously played Chaos Marines for the last 15 or so years (mostly painted) but have grown quite a selection of the first 3 companies of the Unforgiven over the summer. It's reinvigorated my love for the hobby and expanded my love for painting and playing.

So my question...

As I'm a good way through work on my first 3 Company's, I'm currently filling out Veterans and Dreadnaughts alongside my Deathwing contingent and wondered... Do the Ravenwing have any Dreadnaughts? Would they? If so, what would they be; long range fire support or CC monsters who would want to be drop podded into battle?

I'd imagine that the daredevil attitude of the 2nd Company would mean that there would be more than enough potential Astartes to go in to a sarcophagus, I just didn't know if they would bother or whether they would be likely beyond saving for the long internment to a Dread whenever or if they were found near death on the battlefield.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it as I'd love to have a good representation on my shelves to use on the battlefields of North Bristol :)

Fluff is somewhat silent on this question...  They could just be forwarded to the Deathwing but I have always thought that you could convert a Dread sarcophagus plate onto this guy and CALL it a Ravenwing Dread...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine_Aircraft/LAND-SPEEDER-TEMPEST.html

It's not really supported by fluff, but a while back on the gw website there was a tutorial on converting the old metal venerable dreadnought model into a revenwing dreadnought. The general rule I use for things like this is that it's my army, so I can do whatever I want with it. Therefore, if you want a Ravenwing dreadnought, then make a ravenwing dreadnought. Rule of cool!

Fluff is somewhat silent on this question...  They could just be forwarded to the Deathwing but I have always thought that you could convert a Dread sarcophagus plate onto this guy and CALL it a Ravenwing Dread...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine_Aircraft/LAND-SPEEDER-TEMPEST.html

I doubt they would get forwarded straight to the Deathwing - the Ravenwing are not privy to the secrets that the Deathwing are.

The fluff does tell us a few things:

- Normally a Dreadnaught is attached to the Company the Marine was in when they fell in battle, so that supports the idea of the Ravenwing having them. But that would also impy that Scout Sergeants could be interred into Dreads and fight alongside the 10th Company. I don't know if I buy the idea of all companies having dreads.

- The Ravenwing is a Hit and Run Reconnaissance force. That really limits the options for Dreads unless they drop podded the Dread in to facilitate their retreat - but that sounds like a suicide mission. Maybe that's appropriate, maybe its not. Using the Ally rules to use the Storm Raven to deposit and pick up a Dread makes a little sense too. But just having a dread on foot running around in the backfield would be dumb. It has to fit in with the fighting style of the Ravenwing somehow.

What I see as the most likely circumstance is that the Marine would get interred into the Dread, he would be placed where the need was greatest and be assigned to that company, and would then receive an honorific, like a black greave, to show that he came from the 2nd Company.

If your heart is set on a Ravenwing Dread your best bet is to Drop Pod him in. That's the conservative choice. The Tempest with a Dread sarcophagus isn't a terrible idea either if you like pushing the limits.

Never been crazy about the Tempest.  It was always seriously overpriced, and it having +1 front AV over a standard speeder isn't that much of an advantage because the front facing is so small.  Nice looking model though.  If FW ever takes the opportunity to change it from a skimmer to a flyer, I might take mine back out.

BTW, if any of you do get one, be really really extra really careful about those wing probe things.  Being resin, they snap off if you look at them too hard.

As far as Ravenwing Dreads go, I figure drop pod delivery is the way to go.  Too bad GW didn't take the opportunity to give us a RW dread with our current dex - it would have been both neat and obvious, and it could have been the anti-flyer defense our dex so noticeably lacks.

I like the idea that when they need a RW member to be Dread'd up, he gets sent back to another company with honors. Not sure that a Dread in the RW really works, buuuuuutttt they probably could use them for some fire support.

However, something that would be very cool would be to have a Marine interred into a sarcophagus and wired into one of the fighters...

I would imagine that a ravenwing sarcophagus could operate an otherwise unmanned speeder of some sort (or a fighter, as has been mentioned)...THAT would be a really cool conversion...a vengeance-sized speeder as a flying dreadnought, maybe with a medium turret and a twinlinked assault cannon or heavy bolter?  You could put the sarcophagus where the open seat is, the TLAC from a crusader or TLHB from a mars pattern LR in the pulpit, and, in place of the vengeance turret, options for exterminator or annihilator turrets on top...maybe even executioner?  You'd have to modify the turrets to make them obviously unmanned, of course! 

Yep I want some of those.

I felt that Ravenwing dreadnoughts would replace the legs with wheels

You mean like this.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/55313-img-0284jpg/

I really need to get those painted.

I wanted to build those since I started playing RW in second edition, but I couldn't find tracks the right size until GW released the Thunder Fire Cannon.  My first attempt was in second edition using the tarantula gun turret tracks... but those tracks were barely bigger than the Dread's feet and made it look the thing was on rollerblades.

I have used them as Dreads (both on foot or in pods) and as counts-as tempests.  But they were made more for the look of the model (rule of cool) than for the rules.  But if I was wishlisting, I would want to run them as dreads that could move 12" and maybe have some of the same USR that RW have.  I would also change a few weapon options from a normal dread, like take a missile launcher without having to give up the DCCW... or maybe count that shoulder ML as a RWGL.

The problem there is that they don't look a damned bit faster than a walker.  And the problem with a walker is that it's too slow for the ravenwing.  A wheeled dread that looks fast enough is possible, I suppose...but I think a flier or skimmer is the way to go.

Archived