Devistator Squad

The Milkman Of Baal

How do you guys run your Dev squads, i think due to the nature now of the 6th I feel I have to at least field one, but as I like to run up and punch heads off and kick shins with my lot I have over looked them a bit and don't know where to go. One of the lads recommended 2 las 2 HB + 5 marines and combat squading them so the HB and las could fire at different targets.............

A lot of people prefer a single five man team, but there is still a lot to be said for a ten man team with three Missile Launchers in one combat squad and the Sergeant with a Lascannon in the other.

Plasma Cannons are making a comeback too, but Missile Launchers appear to be the staple.

As for me, I am restricted by my collection so I take a Heavy Bolter, Missile Launcer, Plasma Cannon and either another Missile Launcher or a Multi Melta, all in a ten man squad to allow for combat squadding and to have "ablative wounds". At the moment though, I am not running Devastators as I am playing a Mech force...

You don't really have to field a devastator squad.  I take Typhoon speeders and attack bikes to do the same job, works well so far.

But if I did run a Devastator squad, I'd be tempted to bling it out with dual plasma, dual las, and combat squad.  Its expensive as hell, but the lascannons can take down vehicles at the range you need to, and plasma wipes out the stuff your assault marines have trouble with.

I ran pretty much the same as above except with two missiles and two heavy bolters. Libby rolled precog, on first turn proceeded to blow a tervigon off the map (with a wound or two help from sniper scouts) even with night fighting. That was one unhappy nid player :D

You don't really have to field a devastator squad.  I take Typhoon speeders and attack bikes to do the same job, works well so far.

But if I did run a Devastator squad, I'd be tempted to bling it out with dual plasma, dual las, and combat squad.  Its expensive as hell, but the lascannons can take down vehicles at the range you need to, and plasma wipes out the stuff your assault marines have trouble with.

This has been my plan recently, 2 las to pop a transport and then the squad with 2 plas vape the survivors as they come stumbling out of the wreckage. If the enemy is not obliging to supply transports to inconvenience then the las cannons poke at any armor or MC hanging around while the plasma guys admonish any infantry silly enough to stay in the neighborhood.

Seems like a plan anyways but I haven't got any games in recently to test if this is a good idea or not.

You don't really have to field a devastator squad. I take Typhoon speeders and attack bikes to do the same job, works well so far.

But if I did run a Devastator squad, I'd be tempted to bling it out with dual plasma, dual las, and combat squad. Its expensive as hell, but the lascannons can take down vehicles at the range you need to, and plasma wipes out the stuff your assault marines have trouble with.

This has been my plan recently, 2 las to pop a transport and then the squad with 2 plas vape the survivors as they come stumbling out of the wreckage. If the enemy is not obliging to supply transports to inconvenience then the las cannons poke at any armor or MC hanging around while the plasma guys admonish any infantry silly enough to stay in the neighborhood.

Seems like a plan anyways but I haven't got any games in recently to test if this is a good idea or not.

I had the same idead but with Las, HB. Las, PC sound alot nicer though as long as i've got a libby with Dev coz i love rolling 1's on plasma.

• 3 weeks later...

I run mine Dev Squad with 2 Plasma Cannon, 1ML, 1 HB, and 2 Bolter marines then I keep a librarian near by for Prescience.  It has been really, really effective.  Once my brother dropped Belial and a Term Squad in my back field and I immolated them entirely to death with the Plasma Cannons immediately.  I was amazed.

I really really like Plasma Cannons.  I have had one bad night due to Gets Hot, but only one.

Does anyone still avoid Dev squads due to one of the older codex rules forcing BA marines to move foward on the roll of a die ? (3rd ed codex iirc)

It's one of the reason I never made a squad up, but have been considering 4x Heavy Bolters purely for their looks (most of my BA have melta / THamers).

I see Xenith likes the HB squad, does anyone else have any good opinions of 4x HB ? If not, I'll make them up under some Long Fangs instead smile.png

Although devs are in the book if the fire support can't move and shoot it doesn't play. That said, I've run 2PC/2HB, and 2LC/2ML in mine. The spread leaves a bit to be desired in one respect or another plus for the cost of the anti-tank squad I could get 3 MMAB and a Baal I believe.

Does anyone still avoid Dev squads due to one of the older codex rules forcing BA marines to move foward on the roll of a die ?  (3rd ed codex iirc)

Nope, that rule is long gone. Best you can hope for now is to have them red thirst and get fearless.

I have to deal with a lot of Terminators DSing into my backfield in my meta so I go 4 PCs in a 5-man squad. 4 S7 AP2 Blasts makes them think twice. 

I just bought another Dev box set so I can create a 4PC, 2Bolter, 1Srgnt squad.  Modeling tonight.

I have 4 missile launchers myself. The thought of swapping for a Lascannon might help. The missile launchers at times are not strong enough to punch throw armor as opposed to damaging infantry.

Having that BS 5 lascannon seems like a good idea for popping transports at crucial moments.

I like the idea behind 4x hvy bolters as anything with more "dakka" gets a thumbs up in my book. Don't have any idea how good overall it would be though.

Btw, I have knocked down a couple of flyers using only a single heavy bolter. Not too shabby imo.

Archived