Devistator Squad

The Milkman Of Baal

4*HB is no longer the comedy option since non MEQ have gained in popularity. Even VS Eldar who mostly have 3+ saves you at least wound normal infantry on 2+. 

Still very hard to justify them for the same price as a ML though... if only they had hellfire blasts like in the good ol days. 

EDIT: This bugs me because it would have been such an easy fix! Salvo 2/4 profile (at least for the astartes pattern) would have been even better, but GW isn't keen on changing a common weapon like that.

You realize Salvo 2/4 would have made the Devastator squad stand and shoot the same as a 10-man GK Strike Squad, minus Psycannons?  For half the cost?  I don't really know if half the bodies, no power weapons, not scoring, and no psycannons would be worth it...

That said, I find it hard to argue for anti-infantry heavy weapons of any kind that can't do either anti-tank or anti-MC/terminator/heavy infantry duties as well.  I bring my infantry units (with bolters or chainswords of course :) for the anti-infantry duties.

You realize Salvo 2/4 would have made the Devastator squad stand and shoot the same as a 10-man GK Strike Squad, minus Psycannons?  For half the cost?  I don't really know if half the bodies, no power weapons, not scoring, and no psycannons would be worth it...

I fail to see the issue? Even with all the differences you already mentioned it's still a S5 gun vs a S7 rending with slightly worse range. Maybe salvo 2/5 would be better.

Seriously though, are you arguing for or against this idea? :P

Heavy bolters are currently a bit of a joke unless you really spam them on the cheap. It just feels wrong when a weapon simply isn't worth using at all. I mean who uses TLHB on a dread? Anyone?

I think I misread your earlier post K&F, I was arguing against HB devastators.  I think if you want that kind of firepower in your list, allying in a GKSS or two and an Inquisitor makes a whole lot of sense.

On a side note, I pulled out the old Dawn of War and the Heavy Bolters in that game are SICK.  Massive range, damages anything, just brutal.  Of course, that's PC rather than tabletop, but it is a cool gun.  And realistically, aren't you going to have marines who carry the SAW version of their standard rifle in a real scenario?

• 5 weeks later...

Just  wondering but whats a good weapon for when theirs a lot of tau and eldar in your area?

Either 4xML to deal with battlesuits, wraithlords/knights and tanks

or 4xHVB to deal with the squishy infantry (although a whirlwind is far superior)

Archived